Day to Day Coping with Covid19

kathymendel

Hi all.......... There is a lot written here about "loss of freedoms" and "fear dominating how we are living our lives". I can see both sides, to be sure.
But, in the midst of that, I can see something else. My daughter and I have found a great peace in just relaxing and "casting our cares" upon the Lord.
When we moved from Orange County out to Riverside County, there was no doubt in my mind the Lord was leading.......... and, I can't tell you how glad I
am that we made that choice, especially now. We have created a lovely, peaceful home and a simple, but gorgeous back yard to enjoy, and we praise
God for His provision and protection! We didn't go out and buy a lot of new furniture for our brand new home. We improvised with what we already had,
and repurposed things............ dd has a great gift for doing that, I have a minor gift! LOL Together, we make it work.

We don't feel restricting our travels and outings have been a "loss of freedom". Actually, it has freed us up to truly enjoy God's gifts to us.......... beautiful flowers, blue cloudy skies, hummingbirds and other birds who come down to join us. We have our morning coffee and devotions on our patio daily,most of the year. A few weeks ago, we realized that we may never be able to travel to Kauai again, and we love our visits there. We said, "Well, if we can't go to Kauai - we'll bring Kauai here to us." So, we took some tiki masks that were in the garage and created a tiki tower for our garden. Then, her kids sent us a kid's sandbox for Mother's Day because she mentioned we missed our drives down to the beach. We scratched our heads, and said what are we going to do with this? Didn't take long to figure out we could build a tiki bar with stuff we had on hand........... they had sent a gift card to get the sand. Yesterday, Deb went to Lowe's and bought an 8' piece of short bamboo. That was our only expense. Today we have a wonderful tiki bar with sand for our feet on either side.

We also don't "live in fear" but, we are respectful of others by lightening our footsteps out into the community. We don't want to put anyone in danger, and we don't want anyone else putting us in danger. We have a travel trailer that we would love to take out (to the beach) over the summer...........if it is possible to do so, we will. But, in the meantime, we are quite happy turning on our Hawaiian music, putting our feet in the sand, and sipping a mai tai punch and enjoying life as much as we can, safely. We look forward to sharing our little spot with friends in the future, hopefully.

The most wonderful thing of all of this is, we are growing SO much in the Lord and in the Truth of His Word!!!! We are seeing His provision and protection over us daily. Our moods are better than ever. He is blessing us. He is faithful. And, we know He is coming for us very soon. Yes, our world has shrunken.......... but, it hasn't been a bad thing. It's been freeing to not be running around so much, that we now have even more time to spend with Him. And, in the process, we have separated ourselves from so many worldly things that really have no value, nor any more hold on our hearts. We are ready to leave this world behind whenever God chooses to call us home. What a pleasant place we have to wait at now.........

Hope this helps others rethink their priorities, and find what is right for them. We are all different........... thank God, He made us that way, or this would be a pretty boring world. We each need to find that place of peace, comfort and joy .......... in our personal lives and in our relationship with God.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I've completed most of my spring chores, at least the ones that are important. I've gone running almost every day and I go to at least one grocery store almost every day. I occasionally go through the McDonalds drive-thru. I've taken it all in stride. I figure things will creep back to normal eventually. If I were younger I think our loss of liberty would be harder to take.

twerpv

The issues many of us have with the ‘restrictions’ is not in the details. It’s the fact that they think they can determine what we can and cannot do. It’s not right. And those that went before us sacrificed everything so we could do exactly what you listed. Without them, we don’t have the ‘freedom’ we currently enjoy. We OWE them and all else that love freedom to fight against the current tyranny.

Praying

Hi all.......... There is a lot written here about "loss of freedoms" and "fear dominating how we are living our lives". I can see both sides, to be sure.
But, in the midst of that, I can see something else. My daughter and I have found a great peace in just relaxing and "casting our cares" upon the Lord.
When we moved from Orange County out to Riverside County, there was no doubt in my mind the Lord was leading.......... and, I can't tell you how glad I
am that we made that choice, especially now. We have created a lovely, peaceful home and a simple, but gorgeous back yard to enjoy, and we praise
God for His provision and protection! We didn't go out and buy a lot of new furniture for our brand new home. We improvised with what we already had,
and repurposed things............ dd has a great gift for doing that, I have a minor gift! LOL Together, we make it work.

We don't feel restricting our travels and outings have been a "loss of freedom". Actually, it has freed us up to truly enjoy God's gifts to us.......... beautiful flowers, blue cloudy skies, hummingbirds and other birds who come down to join us. We have our morning coffee and devotions on our patio daily,most of the year. A few weeks ago, we realized that we may never be able to travel to Kauai again, and we love our visits there. We said, "Well, if we can't go to Kauai - we'll bring Kauai here to us." So, we took some tiki masks that were in the garage and created a tiki tower for our garden. Then, her kids sent us a kid's sandbox for Mother's Day because she mentioned we missed our drives down to the beach. We scratched our heads, and said what are we going to do with this? Didn't take long to figure out we could build a tiki bar with stuff we had on hand........... they had sent a gift card to get the sand. Yesterday, Deb went to Lowe's and bought an 8' piece of short bamboo. That was our only expense. Today we have a wonderful tiki bar with sand for our feet on either side.

We also don't "live in fear" but, we are respectful of others by lightening our footsteps out into the community. We don't want to put anyone in danger, and we don't want anyone else putting us in danger. We have a travel trailer that we would love to take out (to the beach) over the summer...........if it is possible to do so, we will. But, in the meantime, we are quite happy turning on our Hawaiian music, putting our feet in the sand, and sipping a mai tai punch and enjoying life as much as we can, safely. We look forward to sharing our little spot with friends in the future, hopefully.

The most wonderful thing of all of this is, we are growing SO much in the Lord and in the Truth of His Word!!!! We are seeing His provision and protection over us daily. Our moods are better than ever. He is blessing us. He is faithful. And, we know He is coming for us very soon. Yes, our world has shrunken.......... but, it hasn't been a bad thing. It's been freeing to not be running around so much, that we now have even more time to spend with Him. And, in the process, we have separated ourselves from so many worldly things that really have no value, nor any more hold on our hearts. We are ready to leave this world behind whenever God chooses to call us home. What a pleasant place we have to wait at now.........

Hope this helps others rethink their priorities, and find what is right for them. We are all different........... thank God, He made us that way, or this would be a pretty boring world. We each need to find that place of peace, comfort and joy .......... in our personal lives and in our relationship with God.
Amen!

kathymendel

Ya know.......... I didn't start this thread to hear the same ole' same ole' that are on all the other threads, where people are having this same
debate. I started it to be an encouragement to others............that's all. I am so sick of reading the retoric about freedom and fear, that I just wanted to start something nice, fun and uplifting here. Wow................... I'm getting very discouraged that there are so many people here that just want to spout their views over and over again.........we've already heard you on the other posts. Could you please just leave this one alone????

ShilohRose

:hug I loved your post, and I've been thinking about the good things about this enforced stillness. I have a lot more time to spend here on the Rapture Forums! I have also had more time for music and reading. Dh and I are trying to declutter as well, which while a slow process, is actually occurring. We have talked about it a lot and never done anything before. There is now more than a narrow pathway through the garage! lol Our neighbors across the street have been happy to take our empty boxes and some of our Rubbermaid tubs. They are building a house and will be moving soon. I have found that several of the things that used to be important to me, don't mean so much now. One example is that I have been a makeup junkie for many years. At one time I had north of 60 lipsticks! Now, I hardly look at the beauty bloggers anymore, and when I do, it's mostly a cursory glance. I'm still wearing makeup, but I don't feel like I must have the latest thing right this second. (Like one old preacher said, "A little paint makes any old barn look better!")

MikeD

Hear so many complaining about being locked in. Well as a truck driver that hasn't happened to me. Been running like crazy here lately. Only BIG trouble is finding food out here! So many restaurants shut down. However my wife keeps my refrig packed on the truck and eating hasn't been a problem. Am finding so many ways to share. So many are stomped in fear. So many react when hearing an encouraging word. God is up to some awesome things and it's wonderful to latch on to God's direction and worship, prise, and share like never before!!

Love His Appearing

We don't feel restricting our travels and outings have been a "loss of freedom". Actually, it has freed us up to truly enjoy God's gifts to us.......... beautiful flowers, blue cloudy skies, hummingbirds and other birds who come down to join us. We have our morning coffee and devotions on our patio daily,most of the year.
I have found this to be the case as well. I have never had this much morning time with my Lord and it has been an uplifting time of growth and peace. We have eaten dinner as a family every night for almost three months. I am already mourning the loss of the simpler life of quarantine.

kathymendel

I have found this to be the case as well. I have never had this much morning time with my Lord and it has been an uplifting time of growth and peace. We have eaten dinner as a family every night for almost three months. I am already mourning the loss of the simpler life of quarantine.
Hopefully, for those of us who have noticed and appreciated the family time interaction through all of this, or have been deprived of it, will go back to life as it now is with a new determination to continue to incorporate dinners together, and family conversations, and more time with God. It probably won't be all the time, but even a few meals a week, a tv show shared, a bible study or devotion, or just family conversations .......... anything to keep our focus on what is really important. We need to MAKE time for our loved ones, and to keep any re-connection we have built going strong. Satan has entered our lives by keeping us so busy with the day to day stuff that our families and even our churches have suffered. We need to reclaim our time and use it more wisely. I pray the gains made in that area will be recognized and built upon. A simpler life can be found if we can only get our priorities right, and follow God's leading.

kathymendel

I just want to add this, as it seems appropo (sp?):

I have been suffering with my lower back for five years now..................to the point that I can't walk any distance, or stand for very long without a great degree of pain. I FINALLY started physical therapy to try to find improvement right before the quarantine. At first I went every two weeks while they gently added more and new exercises. Now I go once a month. Every day in between, I am required to do these exercises three times a day. Now, you have to know that I am NOT a disciplined person. I can procrastinate and put off doing what I should with the best of them. It's not something I am proud of. BUT............ I have told myself that I WILL do these exercises faithfully every day - probably for the rest of my life - in a desperate attempt to get my life back and be able to go places and do things with my grown daughter. We used to do that, and had so much fun. I just want to be able to do HALF of what we used to do. So, this is another good thing that has come out of the quarantine for me. I am doing it!!! And, I am noticing improvement...........in small increments..........but, improvement nonetheless! I am beginning to see a future, that while it won't be as great as it was when I was younger, it will be better than it has been for a long time now. I'm so grateful for that! I'd prayed to God to heal me with His powerful touch........... but, He had other plans. And, however far I come with this, I will be grateful that He made me work for it a little.
Anyway...................just wanted to share this with you. This difficult time we are walking though right now is hard, for sure........... but, it hasn't been all bad.
We've learned some things along the way, haven't we? Our priorities have been shaken and we are able to jump out of all the little boxes we've stuffed ourselves into over the years............. that's a good thing!

fl2007rn

My husband and I are mostly homebodies anyway and I enjoy cooking so not much has changed for us except wearing masks or gloves when going out. We have an RV and cancelled 2 camping trips and 1 cruise this year.

We enjoy our back yard here in Florida and live on the intracoastal waterway, We like to sit on the back porch and watch boats, kayaks, jet skis and paddle boards go by. We also see an occasional manatee and watch the dolphins every evening. The dolphins usually hunt in packs and they herd the school of fish against the sea wall then slap their tails really hard to stun the fish. We also have pelicans, sea gulls and Osprey Eagles that hunt for fish in the water. It is pretty cool to watch the pelicans dive bomb the water to catch their dinner. We also live about a 1/4 mile from an Air Force base and watch the planes and helicopters as they do their training missions. The base has many different national guards from the southeast that bring their aircraft here to train. Today there is a huge C-17 that is practicing their touch and go landings at the base. We also have a pool but it is a little too cool for my liking at the moment. I will be ready to swim laps next month.

Kerbluey

I have been suffering with my lower back for five years now..................to the point that I can't walk any distance, or stand for very long without a great degree of pain. I FINALLY started physical therapy to try to find improvement right before the quarantine. At first I went every two weeks while they gently added more and new exercises. Now I go once a month. Every day in between, I am required to do these exercises three times a day. Now, you have to know that I am NOT a disciplined person. I can procrastinate and put off doing what I should with the best of them. It's not something I am proud of. BUT............ I have told myself that I WILL do these exercises faithfully every day - probably for the rest of my life - in a desperate attempt to get my life back and be able to go places and do things with my grown daughter. We used to do that, and had so much fun. I just want to be able to do HALF of what we used to do. So, this is another good thing that has come out of the quarantine for me. I am doing it!!! And, I am noticing improvement...........in small increments..........but, improvement nonetheless! I am beginning to see a future, that while it won't be as great as it was when I was younger, it will be better than it has been for a long time now. I'm so grateful for that! I'd prayed to God to heal me with His powerful touch........... but, He had other plans. And, however far I come with this, I will be grateful that He made me work for it a little.
Anyway...................just wanted to share this with you. This difficult time we are walking though right now is hard, for sure........... but, it hasn't been all bad.
We've learned some things along the way, haven't we? Our priorities have been shaken and we are able to jump out of all the little boxes we've stuffed ourselves into over the years............. that's a good thing!
This sounds exactly like me. Undisciplined. Back pain. PT. Daily exercises. For the rest of my life. Small but consistent improvements. Determined. I’ll be happy to regain just half my abilities. I guess it’s nice to know I’m not the only one! Ok, I’m only doing mine once a day because I know I’d quit at 3x a day. :D

I certainly enjoyed having a nice close parking spot everywhere I went! Alas, I’m back to hiking miles to get into a store.

Andy C

Very inspiring post. With your motivation, you might want to consider joining the Marines!!!!!,

Whenver I have had any injury, my focus is never on what I cant do, but what I can do.

Keep up the good work.

kathymendel

My husband and I are mostly homebodies anyway and I enjoy cooking so not much has changed for us except wearing masks or gloves when going out. We have an RV and cancelled 2 camping trips and 1 cruise this year.

We enjoy our back yard here in Florida and live on the intracoastal waterway, We like to sit on the back porch and watch boats, kayaks, jet skis and paddle boards go by. We also see an occasional manatee and watch the dolphins every evening. The dolphins usually hunt in packs and they herd the school of fish against the sea wall then slap their tails really hard to stun the fish. We also have pelicans, sea gulls and Osprey Eagles that hunt for fish in the water. It is pretty cool to watch the pelicans dive bomb the water to catch their dinner. We also live about a 1/4 mile from an Air Force base and watch the planes and helicopters as they do their training missions. The base has many different national guards from the southeast that bring their aircraft here to train. Today there is a huge C-17 that is practicing their touch and go landings at the base. We also have a pool but it is a little too cool for my liking at the moment. I will be ready to swim laps next month.
Oh my! Your backyard sounds wonderful!!!! So much for you to see and enjoy! We live near March Air Force Base, so we have the big cargo planes going over almost every day on their practice runs. We also have medical helicopters flying over our house on the way to the local hospital/trauma center that is a few miles from us. Today, we picked up a really nice orange yard umbrella for our tiki bar that we built during the quarantine. Our backyard is very tropical and happy now! We have a 16' Shasta retro trailer and have also had to cancel two trips so far. We are still booked for beach trips - one in July and one in September. Hopefully, things will become a little safer by then (?) and we will be able to keep those trips on the calendar. If not, we will be enjoying our "little Kauai" in our backyard. It could be worse................

kathymendel

Very inspiring post. With your motivation, you might want to consider joining the Marines!!!!!,

Whenver I have had any injury, my focus is never on what I cant do, but what I can do.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks, Andy! I could kick myself for not taking better care of myself when I was a bit younger. I'm paying for it now. But, you have to work with what you've got, right???? I have been focused on what I can't do............it was getting me absolutely nowhere. So, I've changed direction and now count my blessings, even in this, and my daughter is so patient and accepting of my limitations. We still have fun...........would just like to have a little bit more activity ...........especially if we are going to be here for a while yet.