Darkness Descending Upon America

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I have astigmatism, so if the bulb is anything other than an old type incandescent (not the new energy-efficient kind), I can't read because the print is fuzzy, jumps, rotates, swims, etc., and I get a horrible headache. Glasses or contacts don't fix it. Only surgery for cataracts and insertion of a specific type of lens will (according to doc, anyway). Unfortunately, my cataracts aren't anywhere near bad enough for the VA to take care of (yet).

One of the churches I go to has CFLs in some fixtures that makes it impossible for me to use a hymnal or read the Bible along when Scripture is read if I sit in certain seats/areas. Unfortunately, if Dad goes with me, this is where we have to sit because of his rollator and intense fear of getting "something" :mad :cry (worth it for Dad to go with me, though . . . he actually went with me to accept the invitation for anyone in the cogregation to get up and sang the Hallelujah Chorus with the choir on Resurrection Sunday!)

Warm white LEDs aren't as bad as cool LEDS, halogens, "energy-efficient" incandescents, CFLs, or even regular incandescents, but for reading and other similar distance tasks, in the wrong lighting, I'm essentially blind :frown It's even worse than the humming and screeching of every fluorescent bulb (and some LEDs) on the planet. Astigmatism, the completely avoidable, "new" disability, caused by "going green" :mad

Have you tried pricier LEDs? Ones that can be dimmed seem to be really good. The ones marked "economy" or "contractor" are very unstable and would give anyone a headache. One of the first things I did in the Cheyenne home was convert from incandescent to LED and applied lessons of buying higher quality bulbs that I learned from my mistakes in the Alaska home. I prefer LEDs just because they use less electricity and I'm a cheapskate...

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Have you tried pricier LEDs? Ones that can be dimmed seem to be really good. The ones marked "economy" or "contractor" are very unstable and would give anyone a headache. One of the first things I did in the Cheyenne home was convert from incandescent to LED and applied lessons of buying higher quality bulbs that I learned from my mistakes in the Alaska home. I prefer LEDs just because they use less electricity and I'm a cheapskate...

Didn't know there was a difference in quality. I've been buying at HD, Lowes, or Ace based on price, warm vs cool, lumens, and longevity (rated hours), plus dimmable for outside use. I've been avoiding the heavy ones with the giant collar that gets really hot to avoid fire or melting of/damage to anything. The unopened packages for ones I've put in lamps also say dimmable.

Unfortunately, can't do anything about lighting in public/publicly-accessible places :frown The CFLs are the absolute worst :frown

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Didn't know there was a difference in quality. I've been buying at HD, Lowes, or Ace based on price,

I first discovered the problems with "value, contractor, and economy" on some specialty bulbs and outdoor floodlamps that would flicker like crazy. I returned them and bought pricier bulbs and they were fine. I have astigmatism now too and the decent quality bulbs don't cause me any issues. One step up from the lowest quality bulbs is usually good enough.

Back