Daniel 8 question

Hiftobaf

Is Daniel 8 fulfilled or not? It's generally thought that the vision in this chapter is talking about Alexander the Great conquering Persia, then his empire breaking apart, and ultimately Antiochus IV Epiphanes desecrating the temple. But Daniel 8:15-19 seems to suggest that this all takes place at the end of time.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Many prophecies have two or even three fulfillments: a near and a far (and sometimes an intermediate.) This particular project has two: it was initially and perfectly fulfilled in Antiochus Epiphanes, but will be completely fulfilled in the Antichrist. As Dave Guzik says in his Enduring Word commentary-- "though this prophecy was fulfilled in Antiochus Epiphanes, it also has a later fulfillment in the Antichrist, referring to the time of the end. Antiochus Epiphanes is sometimes called the “Antichrist of the Old Testament.” He prefigures the Antichrist of the end times."

victory87

Hello, this is victory87 from Southeast, Ga. I visit here daily, but rarely get involved in commenting. As believers, this is a site of great encouragement in our Christian walk, and I am going to humbly throw in my 2-cents more often. I think we need this connection during these trying times. So glad to be here! I agree with mattfivefour. God's word uses types in many different areas. Antiochus surely is a type of the coming man of sin. He literally sat in the temple claiming deity, and sacrificed a pig on the alter of God. This was a preview of the abomination of desolation. It goes much deeper, and shows that the living God wants us prepared to give others the reason for our faith and hope in Christ. Bible prophecy is a great reason why I came to faith in Christ. He is the only true God who tells us the beginning and the end with 100% accuracy. It showed me that God can be trusted, and that it is all in his hands! Have a Blessed Saturday!

Hiftobaf

I understand the concepts of dual fulfillment and types. But if the prophesy is said to take place near or during the tribulation, doesn't it mean a major war between Greece and Persia is future?