Cussing

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
What is the Biblical stance on cussing? I used that word specifically to distinguish from swearing and cursing, which I'd say are separate concepts.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Ephesians 4:29
Ephisians 5:4
Colossians 4:6

These cover them all...

Thanks TT! I'm going to copy and paste the verses for convenience's sake.

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Do you think it's the word that matters or the subject that you're talking about? I don't have an issue with using "actual" swear words, but I'm guilty of all of the analogues. Crap, screw, gosh, jerk, w/e. I guess I'm wondering why those words are considered by people to be acceptable when what they actually mean is considered unacceptable. Like why is ass considered a swear word but donkey or butt is not? What about the word suddenly makes it bad compared to the two meanings. And then in the other direction is screw, which is basically used every way "the f word" would be used. Why is that considered okay but "ass" is not? Stuff like that

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
Thanks TT! I'm going to copy and paste the verses for convenience's sake.

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Do you think it's the word that matters or the subject that you're talking about? I don't have an issue with using "actual" swear words, but I'm guilty of all of the analogues. Crap, screw, gosh, jerk, w/e. I guess I'm wondering why those words are considered by people to be acceptable when what they actually mean is considered unacceptable. Like why is ass considered a swear word but donkey or butt is not? What about the word suddenly makes it bad compared to the two meanings. And then in the other direction is screw, which is basically used every way "the f word" would be used. Why is that considered okay but "ass" is not? Stuff like that
I would say that some words have only one meaning, that is for cursing. Other words are only a curse, depending on how they are used. Most everyone knows when a word is being used as a curse. So all we need to do is not use any words as a curse.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I'm guilty of all of the analogues.

Last night I asked my wife not to add the word "heck" to her sentences. She's clearly around people who use some colorful language (and brought it home) and is just substituting some words for other cuss words. I won't tolerate swearing, cursing, or cussing (all the same to me) in my home.

I'm fine with clean exclamations, and I see jerk as an adjective for which there is appropriate use.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Last night I asked my wife not to add the word "heck" to her sentences. She's clearly around people who use some colorful language (and brought it home) and is just substituting some words for other cuss words. I won't tolerate swearing, cursing, or cussing (all the same to me) in my home.

I'm fine with clean exclamations, and I see jerk as an adjective for which there is appropriate use.

I think there are other definitions for swear and curse, even though they're commonly used to mean the same thing. I think biblically we aren't supposed to swear as in "I swear on my mom's grave I'll get you your money soon" like Jesus said in Mat. 5

33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

And then cursing can be used like actually putting a curse on someone like Noah put on Canaan

24 When Noah awoke from his wine and found out what his youngest son had done to him, 25 he said, “Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his brothers.” 26 He also said, “Praise be to the Lord, the God of Shem! May Canaan be the slave of Shem. 27 May God extend Japheth’s territory; may Japheth live in the tents of Shem, and may Canaan be the slave of Japheth.”

That's why I wanted to specify what I was talking about at the beginning.

I've heard people use the joke that "Heck is the place you go if you're darned by gosh" and that just goes to show that there is a clear substitute for each of the words.

I noticed the other night that a friend of mine went to say "Thank God" but ended up saying "Thank gosh" without it even registering with her.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I've heard people use the joke that "Heck is the place you go if you're darned by gosh" and that just goes to show that there is a clear substitute for each of the words.

:ahaha I understand your thoughts on differences in swear, curse, etc... it's just that to my ears it's all the same: "offensive". That said, I'm not gonna judge others for what comes out of their mouths. I won't permit such language in my home but out there in the world I just do my best to ignore it and when I hear someone use the Lord's name in vain, I pray for them.

TheRedeemed

It's definitely more of a man's problem than a woman's one I would say, although some ladies are quite adept at it too!

I have said previously that I am surrounded by men and boys all throughout my life. There's 4 of us brothers and all their children are boys too so you can imagine what it's like when there's 8 or so grown men/teenagers sitting in a room together and you're the only one saved.

I still have to seriously 'think' when in their company and for a short time afterwards, it's a constant battle to not use profanities.

As I also stated in previous posts, I am working on it and with God's help I will eventually halt it completely.

Twalle

It's definitely more of a man's problem than a woman's one I would say, although some ladies are quite adept at it too!

I have said previously that I am surrounded by men and boys all throughout my life. There's 4 of us brothers and all their children are boys too so you can imagine what it's like when there's 8 or so grown men/teenagers sitting in a room together and you're the only one saved.

I still have to seriously 'think' when in their company and for a short time afterwards, it's a constant battle to not use profanities.

As I also stated in previous posts, I am working on it and with God's help I will eventually halt it completely.
I can relate. I grew up in a home where cussing and swearing were the norm. I catch myself getting ready to use a nasty word but am not always successful. When using bad language is the norm, breaking he habit is difficult.

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....

Sorry TT if I have ever offended you in any of our conv on here if/when I have used words like that? Will try to desist if you don't like "heck" used ?? :)

Hsmommy

Playing devil’s advocate here. Some words we use as swear words weren’t always swear words. So if God’s word never changes, how can an innocent word from the 1700’s now be used as an example of a word not to be used now?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Playing devil’s advocate here. Some words we use as swear words weren’t always swear words. So if God’s word never changes, how can an innocent word from the 1700’s now be used as an example of a word not to be used now?

When not used as a swear word... when used properly for the meaning of the word in a statement, then it is as good a choice as any other word.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
This verse comes to mind

From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers,these things ought not to be so.
James 3:10

See this is a verse where I think it means the Noah type cursing. That's why I made the distinction. Curse here means the opposite of bless, not to use a word that people consider naughty. I think it's important to get the terms right so we know what we are talking about.

When not used as a swear word... when used properly for the meaning of the word in a statement, then it is as good a choice as any other word.

Do you think there's any difference in saying something like "you're being such a donkey" and "you're being such an ass"? To me they mean the exact same thing, but most people would consider the second one to be cussing and the first one to not be cussing.

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

See this is a verse where I think it means the Noah type cursing. That's why I made the distinction. Curse here means the opposite of bless, not to use a word that people consider naughty. I think it's important to get the terms right so we know what we are talking about.

Do you think there's any difference in saying something like "you're being such a donkey" and "you're being such an ass"? To me they mean the exact same thing, but most people would consider the second one to be cussing and the first one
I see what you're saying. When I read your original post that verse I quoted came to mind, however you make a good point.

I remember a while back listening to a pastor teach on having a foul mouth. He equated it to having a bitter root. I don't remember the stricture that he used to back it up.

Last edited:

Amethyst

Angie ... †
Do you think there's any difference in saying something like "you're being such a donkey" and "you're being such an ass"? To me they mean the exact same thing, but most people would consider the second one to be cussing and the first one to not be cussing.
I can only speak as an American and our culture.
But I can definitely say 'a**' brings up cursing connotations to most in this country because as children we were told to not say it.
I believe whatever you find out as a child to be a cuss word, you'll always *hear* it as a cuss word.
You would tell a child to make sure he wipes his 'butt' or 'bottom' when he uses the potty. But doubtful you would tell him to wipe his a**.
I know it is just an example you're using but I believe it applies to many words.

Growing up I was around a lot of drinking and carousing and these words were flung around all the time as nothing. But I wasn't allowed to say them as a kid lol.

Last edited:

NavyMom

I have a friend who cusses like a sailor and it drives me crazy! It's soo trashy for anyone to have a foul mouth like that, but I find it more appalling when a woman does it. She and our group of friends will apologize to me for using that language because I'm known as "the girl who doesn't cuss" (I'm a woman, BTW...)

She says it's ok to do so because The Ten Commandments do not specifically say to not do so...

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

The two options would certainly come across a lot differently to me, the latter being the more insulting of the two. I'd rather hear "you're so stubborn"...

Mathew 5:22, KJV:
"But I say unto you, that whosoever is angry with his brother without cause shall be in danger of the judgement: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Racha, shall be in danger to the counsel: But whosoever shall say, Thou foole, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Jesus warned that using such excoriations and curses or denunciations, or name calling of someone was tantamount to murder and technically deserving of the severest punishment of the law. Have you ever violated the sixth commandment "Thou shall not murder" (Exodus 20:13)? You say you haven't? Ever curse someone or hate someone? Then according to Jesus you have murdered. Shocking is it not? We are lying, thieving, adulterous murderers and that just proves that without the blood of Jesus, they wouldn't let us into heaven. We could knock and knock on heaven's door, but we wouldn't be let in, unless we had our sins forgiven and hidden in Christ (Colossions 3:3).

Jesus warned us that the very act of murder finds its roots in an angry, murderous spirit. That spirit is initially displayed through cursing and excoriation. Do we do that? May we repent of it. Let us put it aside:

Hebrews 12: 1-2, NIV:
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Back