Cussing

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
Last night I asked my wife not to add the word "heck" to her sentences. She's clearly around people who use some colorful language (and brought it home) and is just substituting some words for other cuss words. I won't tolerate swearing, cursing, or cussing (all the same to me) in my home.

I'm fine with clean exclamations, and I see jerk as an adjective for which there is appropriate use.
I wonder if people cussed around Jesus? I never thought about that until now. We know that He ate with sinners otherwise He would have to eat alone.

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
When not used as a swear word... when used properly for the meaning of the word in a statement, then it is as good a choice as any other word.
Also if a proper word is used in anger or a demeaning way. Jesus said...
(English Standard Version)
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Mathew 5:22, KJV:
"But I say unto you, that whosoever is angry with his brother without cause shall be in danger of the judgement: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Racha, shall be in danger to the counsel: But whosoever shall say, Thou foole, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Jesus warned that using such excoriations and curses or denunciations, or name calling of someone was tantamount to murder and technically deserving of the severest punishment of the law.

I feel like there has to be something more to this than the name-calling. Jesus called the Pharisees white-washed tombs, snakes, a brood of vipers, and hypocrites. And Paul even addresses the Galatians as "you foolish Galatians" (Galatians 3:1). There has to be a situation where it is tantamount to murder but also a situation where it is not, because Jesus never sinned. Maybe it depends on whether the insult is generated from righteous or unrighteous anger?

Back