Cursing...?

Ducati

What makes a word , a curse word ?

Who said those words are "bad" ?

What makes them "bad" to say ?

Words and languages have evolved by leaps and bounds over the centuries , not just english but every tongue. We see the word '*ss' in the Bible but used improperly it becomes a curse word - just like the word 'hell'.

I don't need to mention the famous 5 curse words but were in time did they become deemed as 'bad' to say and cursed ? Those are english words , are there other words in other languages in other parts of the world considered to be bad ? In Germany a 'fag' is a cigarette - and I'm sure we are all aware of the "female dog" curse word. Some folks are offended when I say "that sucks" but they have no issue with saying 'dammit' or 'what the hell'. Its worth pondering.

I'm sorry if this is offending to some but I think it is a worthy subject to bring to the table. I know some 'Christians" that curse so casual and think nothing of it and when its pointed out they say its just a word and who says its bad ? I personally don't curse , its just never been a part of my vocabulary and I believe it offends the Lord - but I've always wondered what makes a word 'bad' or 'good' ?

Again , sorry. :heythere

araj54

I personally find it difficult, but not impossible to curse. The Holy Spirit convicts me immediately. Anyone trying to make light of it because they are just words are trying to play games with God, IMO.

Is it a sin to cuss / swear / curse?

Question: "Is it a sin to cuss / swear / curse?"

Answer: It is definitely a sin to swear (curse, cuss, etc.). The Bible makes this abundantly clear. Ephesians 4:29 tells us, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." First Peter 3:10 declares, "For, whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech." James 3:9-12 summarizes the issue: "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."

James makes it clear that the lives of Christians—the “brothers”—should not be characterized by evil speech. By making the analogy of both salt water and fresh water coming from the same spring (which is uncharacteristic of springs), he makes the point that it is uncharacteristic for a believer to have both praise and cursing come from his/her mouth. Nor is it characteristic for us to praise God on one hand and curse our brothers on the other. This, too, is uncharacteristic of a true believer.

Jesus explained that what comes out of our mouths is that which fills our hearts. Sooner or later, the evil in the heart comes out through the mouth in curses and swearing. But when our hearts are filled with the goodness of God, praise for Him and love for others will pour forth. Our speech will always indicate what is in our hearts. “The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks” (Luke 6:45).

Why is it a sin to cuss / swear / curse? Sin is a condition of the heart, the mind, and “the inner man” (Romans 7:22), which is manifested in our thoughts, actions and words. When we swear and curse, we are giving evidence of the polluting sin in our hearts that must be confessed and repented of. Thankfully, our great God is “faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). When this happens, we receive a new nature from God (2 Corinthians 5:17), our hearts are transformed, and our speech reflects the new nature God has created within us.

nillapoet

It's not the words per se. It's the attitude behind it. Certain words have derived from a specific attitude ie, the worst possible word you can say to offend someone. I know German swear words, but those have no impact because they aren't associated with what I know the be profane.

It's all about the culture. The culture has deemed certain words bad. Mostly due to the attitudes associated with those words.

Hannah

MT 23:13 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.

MT 23:15 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are.

MT 23:16 "Woe to you, blind guides! You say, `If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but if anyone swears by the gold of the temple, he is bound by his oath.' 17 You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? 18 You also say, `If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but if anyone swears by the gift on it, he is bound by his oath.' 19 You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred? 20 Therefore, he who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it. 21 And he who swears by the temple swears by it and by the one who dwells in it. 22 And he who swears by heaven swears by God's throne and by the one who sits on it.

MT 23:23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. 24 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.

MT 23:25 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

MT 23:27 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

The Pharisees always looked for boundaries and limits and specifics so they knew exactly how far they could go before they fell into Sin.

Jesus replied to them as above.

The Pharisees knew the LAW but they always managed to twist it around for their own purposes or so they could do what they wanted without appearing like they were Law Breakers.

God wants our HEARTS! God wants us to submit to Him and for his children to be more than just rule followers but truly with our hearts desire to live according to God's Way.

God doesn't want a bunch of people who just follow the Rules. Even UnBelievers can follow the Rules. God wants your HEART to desire to do RIGHT.

Hannah

RO 14:13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14 As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15 If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16 Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

RO 14:19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

RO 14:22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

RO 15:1 We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. 2 Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. 3 For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me." 4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

1CO 8:9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11 So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12 When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.
In this example we see that food is the thing being in despute as to what is Sinful or Not Sinful to EAT. Just substitute "Words Spoken" for Food. So what Words are Sinful or not Sinful to Speak!

You may think that using certain words are not Sin for you to use. However if they will trip up your weaker brother or sister in Christ then the Apostle Paul suggests it is best not to Use those Words if they are going to Affect your Brother or Sister In Christ's walk with God.

Hence it's not about MY RIGHT to do this or That! It is about serving God and Building up your Brother or Sister in Christ.

Christ put aside His Own Rights (humbled Himself) to Obey & Serve God. We are to be like Christ.

PHP 2:8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death--

even death on a cross!

JAS 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

So our answer is not in what we ourselves deem is right or wrong but what God deems is right or wrong.

Whatever we speak should be spoken to please God and be a good witness for the Lord.

MT 12:33 "Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

We need to think about what we speak because God is listening to what comes out of our mouths and we will be accountable for them.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Two excellent examples, sis. You have put your finger on the exact core of the issue. Romans 15:2

And to answer our brother's question: people decide what to them is offensive. Each society, each generation has its own list of words. But, according to the precept that Hannah has outlined, we as Christians should be careful not to offend others by our speech. God is specific in Ephesians 4:29; 5:4.