Cryptic 2,700 year-old pig skeleton found in Jerusalem’s City of David

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The remains of the animal were found in a luxurious First Temple Period building. Was it there to be eaten?
By ROSSELLA TERCATIN
JULY 15, 2021

The full skeleton of a pig has been found in a building dating back to some 2,700 years ago in the City of David in Jerusalem, just a few dozen meters from the Temple Mount, a new paper published in the latest issue of the academic journal Near Eastern Archaeology. And despite the strong prohibition against consuming pork dictated by Jewish laws, it was most likely there to be eaten, Dr. Joe Uziel, a senior archaeologist at the Israel Antiquities Authority and one of the authors of the study said.

“We were excavating on the eastern slopes of the City of David, and we uncovered a building dating back to the second half of the Iron Age, also known as the First Temple period,” Uziel said. “We began exposing one of the rooms, where we saw several vessels smashed on the floor and soon we found the skeleton of a small animal wedged between the wall and the vessels.” At first, the researchers were not sure which type of animal they had encountered. “We are archaeologists, this is not our expertise,” Uziel said. For this reason, they consulted with Dr. Lidar Sapir-Hen, an archaeozoology expert from Tel Aviv University. “She was able to tell us that it was a pig just by looking at a picture of a skeleton,” Uziel noted.

more............ https://www.jpost.com/archaeology/c...eton-found-in-jerusalems-city-of-david-673989

heisable2

The remains of the animal were found in a luxurious First Temple Period building. Was it there to be eaten?
By ROSSELLA TERCATIN
JULY 15, 2021

The full skeleton of a pig has been found in a building dating back to some 2,700 years ago in the City of David in Jerusalem, just a few dozen meters from the Temple Mount, a new paper published in the latest issue of the academic journal Near Eastern Archaeology. And despite the strong prohibition against consuming pork dictated by Jewish laws, it was most likely there to be eaten, Dr. Joe Uziel, a senior archaeologist at the Israel Antiquities Authority and one of the authors of the study said.

“We were excavating on the eastern slopes of the City of David, and we uncovered a building dating back to the second half of the Iron Age, also known as the First Temple period,” Uziel said. “We began exposing one of the rooms, where we saw several vessels smashed on the floor and soon we found the skeleton of a small animal wedged between the wall and the vessels.” At first, the researchers were not sure which type of animal they had encountered. “We are archaeologists, this is not our expertise,” Uziel said. For this reason, they consulted with Dr. Lidar Sapir-Hen, an archaeozoology expert from Tel Aviv University. “She was able to tell us that it was a pig just by looking at a picture of a skeleton,” Uziel noted.

more............ https://www.jpost.com/archaeology/c...eton-found-in-jerusalems-city-of-david-673989
I'm just amazed at what they're finding over there in Israel under the ground. I cannot fathom building on top of a city. I remember the show I would think it would be difficult to hide a city and then build on top of it. But then they're doing it even now in current time. There's underground Atlanta and underground Seattle.

But I'm still amazed that even though Israel is a very small country there sure is a lot of old stuff there that they're finding.

heisable2

Oh and another thought about that pig. I had a chuckle when I read about it because it reminded me of a senior prank at the Florida high school I was teaching at. Seniors brought in a huge stuffed alligator and put it in the common area. We must have brought it in at the dead of night. So maybe the pig was a prank. Or maybe not.

athenasius

Ezekiel chapter 8 has the answer I think if it's the passage where Ezekiel is taken in a vision to the temple to see the abominations that were going on just before God judged them by exile to Babylon. Ezekiel had gone in one of the first waves of exiles. But the wicked priests didn't repent, and they were worshipping abominations in the very Temple itself. That would have included sacrificial animals and meals which are not specified but part of the practices of the surrounding heathen nations.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Ezekiel chapter 8 has the answer I think if it's the passage where Ezekiel is taken in a vision to the temple to see the abominations that were going on just before God judged them by exile to Babylon. Ezekiel had gone in one of the first waves of exiles. But the wicked priests didn't repent, and they were worshipping abominations in the very Temple itself. That would have included sacrificial animals and meals which are not specified but part of the practices of the surrounding heathen nations.
Yep im up to Ezekiel now at the moment AHAHAH

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
Or the house might have been owned by a non-Jew living in Jerusalem at the time. We know of Uriah the Hittite. It stands to reason that there were other non-Jews living in and around Jerusalem, especially when Solomon was king.

Rocky R.

Maybe the pig was someone's pet. But even if it was to be someone's dinner, eating pork is not a sin.