COVID tracking: Google silently pushed app to users’ phones

GEOINTAnalyst

Batman

We were tracked, whether by a government or by a tech giant or by our phone companies or by internet/cell providers or by an outside tracker.........we were tracked. The fact that data is available and downloaded second by second is the starting problem and the endgame is that this data gets sold and sold and sold. This will be the way it is until the MK is established.

JSTyler

You'll have to take the phone out of the case to use it... If you want to be protected I think one would have to forgo a cell phone and many other things all together.
I think of it like I do a when all there was, was pay phones. When you needed to make call when away from home you found a booth, pull out your nickles, dimes and quarters (several decades represented there) and made a call. Then you'd move on in phoneless freedom.

Just use the bag as you would the gaps between pay phones. Silence! Freedom! Yet, you still have the safety feature of an anytime phone when you need it. The tracking would be similar to here and there public phone usage.

And to think that there are implantable phones available. How do you escape that?

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
You'll have to take the phone out of the case to use it... If you want to be protected I think one would have to forgo a cell phone and many other things all together.

Just having a non-smart (dumb) flip phone, there are some things I have to forego.
I have the auto update disabled. That's fine until the phone sops working until I tell it to update. Being a dumb phone, I can't see what the updates are or choose which updates to install (or not install). But NO APPS :smile

One can have a 911-only phone (no SIM, no contract, no service other than 911). Good to keep one (charged) in the glove compartment and another (charged) in the house so if one's cell phone is stolen, especially during a violent crime, one can immediately call 911. On AT&T, the 911-only phones will also allow a call to 611 (AT&T), so one could report the "real" phone stolen and make arrangements for a new phone, give permission for law enforcement to track the phone, phone use, etc. A 911-only phone can still be tracked/located.

PS: I also have the auto-update disabled on my computer and in all the various programs that have this "feature." On the computer and in the programs, I can pick and choose what to install and what not to install :smile

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
PS: I also have the auto-update disabled on my computer and in all the various programs that have this "feature." On the computer and in the programs, I can pick and choose what to install and what not to install

I do a few things to befuddle the spying but I don't really worry about it. I operate with a couple of noms de guerre with interweb accounts, I mostly avoid social media though I try to support the up and coming conservative sites.

My cell phone which I see more as a portable computer that fits in my pocket because I don't use the call feature very often... probably spies on me a lot, but I don't fret about it. I have hundreds of apps on it. I do go in to settings and turn off permissions for a lot of them but if they're still spying I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. Because of my phone, I reckon google has a pretty good idea of me and my habits and they probably sell that or use it in some way or other to generate income for themselves. I have targeted ads turned off... but I suspect they still target me...

I don't have anything to hide, but I do believe that I'm nobody's business unless I've agreed in some way to be, and accepting a contract by clicking something after I haven't read the agreement isn't agreeing to anything in my mind, it's just enabling me to use something I've purchased or downloaded... If you purchase a new computer you have to agree to the company behind the operating system's terms of service, otherwise you can't use your own property. Same with a phone. So we're agreeing to terms under duress so we're not really agreeing so much as we're proceeding through a process so we can use what we own.

If I did have things to hide for any reason, I wouldn't own a cell phone period and I would avoid the internet to the extent possible in this day and age. I'd do things the old school way except where it was no longer possible.

Batman

I think the recent Snowden video I watched on YT about a really cool PC tech that is the preferred type to best lessen hacking and other do's and don'ts that he discussed also included phones. We are carrying the tracking system of the NOW and the AC in our pockets/purses/holsters/wrists...........incredible.

Lynn

Longing for Home
owners of smart thermostats in Texas are discovering that their set points have been moved a couple degrees to favor the energy companies.
Our electric company keeps sending us envelopes filled with ads inside about these smart thermostats. I think they're being offered for free.
Not planning to sign up for one, free or not.