Cover a Multitude of Sins?

Ruth

I was wondering if someone could explain this scripture since we have all our sins (past and future) forgiven when we are born again and are no longer under the law - what does this scripture mean?

James 6: 19-20
19 My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, 20 remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

Xtreme Cowboy

Adventure Seeker
Guess?

I don't know, other than maybe it means saving a fellow Christian from an early fleshly death due to their unrepentant life? I truly believe God calls some of His own early due to their "cancer" they might spread...knowingly and unknowingly.

Ruth

I don't know, other than maybe it means saving a fellow Christian from an early fleshly death due to their unrepentant life? I truly believe God calls some of His own early due to their "cancer" they might spread...knowingly and unknowingly.

Thank you - that would be a reasonable assessment.

God bless.

70C20

70c20
I was wondering if someone could explain this scripture since we have all our sins (past and future) forgiven when we are born again and are no longer under the law - what does this scripture mean?

James 6: 19-20
19 My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, 20 remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

Looking to the context of the chapter,you have to weigh the facts.Paul is OUR Apostle to the GENTILES in this Dispensation.James is a Jew,teaching early acts and / or Tribulation doctrine here.Consider v.14,15 "pray over..anoint with oil..prayer of faith shall heal the sick..Lord shall raise him up ?" Paul brought a man back from the dead...but as the transition changed God's focus from primarily Israel to ALL who would believe,the signs and miracles started diminishing...Paul lost his power to heal (II Cor.12,II Tim.4:20).And back to James 5 V.20,he talks about Elijah praying that it won't rain; can or has anyone been able to do this today ? No!then we should weigh the word of God carefully,espeacially when we are reading someone elses mail . :preach

Ruth

Looking to the context of the chapter,you have to weigh the facts.Paul is OUR Apostle to the GENTILES in this Dispensation.James is a Jew,teaching early acts and / or Tribulation doctrine here.Consider v.14,15 "pray over..anoint with oil..prayer of faith shall heal the sick..Lord shall raise him up ?" Paul brought a man back from the dead...but as the transition changed God's focus from primarily Israel to ALL who would believe,the signs and miracles started diminishing...Paul lost his power to heal (II Cor.12,II Tim.4:20).And back to James 5 V.20,he talks about Elijah praying that it won't rain; can or has anyone been able to do this today ? No!then we should weigh the word of God carefully,espeacially when we are reading someone elses mail . :preach

I started to follow your thinking with the first few sentences but you completely lost me as to the connection to the OP with the rest of your post. Please help me to understand what Elijah and reading someone else's mail has to do with this?

BuzzardHut

Bird Mod
Covering a multitude of sins is 'sin prevention', stopping the process of sin escalating out of control and infecting others.

Ruth

Covering a multitude of sins is 'sin prevention', stopping the process of sin escalating out of control and infecting others.

Thank you Buzz - that makes perfect sense. I prayed about it and accept that this is indeed what the scriptures ar saying.

70C20

70c20
I started to follow your thinking with the first few sentences but you completely lost me as to the connection to the OP with the rest of your post. Please help me to understand what Elijah and reading someone else's mail has to do with this?

Sorry,I was trying to lay groundwork to try to clarify what We(Gentilechurchmember and I) Believe, and I didn't cover the verse in question.We have redemption from sin in this dispensation of Grace,the early Jewish Church only had remission of sin,so they could fall away(Matt.12:31 , Acts 5:3-10 , Heb.6:4-6 )If we are sealed and baptized with the Holy Ghost at our conversion,then how could James 5 :20 apply to us ? And in V.19 , James says"Brethren" referring to those saved believers, and "Convert the sinner"(V.20),"Shall save a soul from death " refers to Jewish or Proselyte(Gentile to Jew converts)believers in the early church and/or tribulation period,that only had/ will have REMISSION of sin,so they can lose their salvation.This is not applicable to us. :rolleyes

Xtreme Cowboy

Adventure Seeker
That makes sense. My problem is that I try to read the Bible as intented in today's terms. I guess I try to apply everything as how it can affect my life and how can I step up to it.

Back