Could “Rapture” mean physical death ?

Eastxn

I was having a discussion just the other day with someone who doesn't believe in the rapture because the bible says every person is appointed to die once then the judgement. He also thinks it's a contradiction in the bible that enoch and elijah were both taken to heaven without dying.

Well here is my take on it if I understand the scriptures correctly. First, what is the biblical definition of death? Well, the second death is the separation of the spirit from God. Physical death according to the bible is separation of the spirit from the body if I understand it correctly. So if you want to get technical about it, the rapture can happen as a catching away and a bodily translation and still meet the requirements of the verse about being appointed to die once, since we have to give up our earthly bodies to go to heaven. I don't remember where that verse is though.

Am I making sense?

Hola!

I was having a discussion just the other day with someone who doesn't believe in the rapture because the bible says every person is appointed to die once then the judgement. He also thinks it's a contradiction in the bible that enoch and elijah were both taken to heaven without dying.

It cannot be a contradiction if scripture also describes exceptions.

Well here is my take on it if I understand the scriptures correctly. First, what is the biblical definition of death? Well, the second death is the separation of the spirit from God. Physical death according to the bible is separation of the spirit from the body if I understand it correctly. So if you want to get technical about it, the rapture can happen as a catching away and a bodily translation and still meet the requirements of the verse about being appointed to die once, since we have to give up our earthly bodies to go to heaven. I don't remember where that verse is though.

Am I making sense?

Not sure what scripture you may be thinking about.

Technically, some will be translated, a standing resurrection. Is there a mini death in there? The body will be changed, the literal physical body we have now will be transformed into an eternal body.

It was a mystery that Paul was allowed to reveal to us.

I've found people who claim they know of contradictions in scripture, are walking contradictions themselves. :D

Lady Di

Finishing my race with joy
I’m a little embarrassed to ask this, but is there any possibility that our rapture could be in spirit only, leaving our earthly bodies behind? I can imagine the narrative of how suddenly “x” percent of the global population dropped dead easier to become disillusioned about then our vanishing from “alien abduction”.
Don't be embarrassed. There have been some Bible prophecy scholars who have thought that the Rapture would be that we would leave our bodies behind. About 20 years ago, a man named James BeauSeigneur wrote a Trilogy on the end times called "The Christ Clone Trilogy." In the novels, believers are raptured but they leave their bodies behind. It is called The Disaster and most of the rest of the population do not get what has really happened. The books, btw, are very good. They may still be in print so try a google search if interested.
The point is: do I believe in a pre-tribulation rapture? Absolutely. I personally think we will just leave our clothes behind. But it's important not to box ourselves in with our opinions but trust Yahweh that He will take us out of the wrath to come.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
Don't be embarrassed. There have been some Bible prophecy scholars who have thought that the Rapture would be that we would leave our bodies behind. About 20 years ago, a man named James BeauSeigneur wrote a Trilogy on the end times called "The Christ Clone Trilogy." In the novels, believers are raptured but they leave their bodies behind. It is called The Disaster and most of the rest of the population do not get what has really happened. The books, btw, are very good. They may still be in print so try a google search if interested.
The point is: do I believe in a pre-tribulation rapture? Absolutely. I personally think we will just leave our clothes behind. But it's important not to box ourselves in with our opinions but trust Yahweh that He will take us out of the wrath to come.
It wouldn't be opinion however regarding if our bodies are left behind or not.
Why would the dead in Christ rise first only for us to rise only in spirit but not body??
We have to have a body to be transformed into a glorified body.
No one in Christ since Pentacost till now whether dead in Christ or alive will have their bodies left behind.

And here is another thought , no tattoo's in Heaven .

yrrek

Did you get this idea from a movie? I watched a movie where this was how the rapture happened. Didn’t even have a resurrection of the dead. That was glossed over completely.

RobinMc

And here is another thought , no tattoo's in Heaven .

I like that, no tattoo's, no piercings, no scars, no fat, no ugly, just the perfect bodies that God gives us to live forever in. I'm guessing no going out to pick out and buy clothing, just our beautiful white robes. Soft, smelling Downy fresh, never getting dirty. Whatever Jesus has planned for us, I know will be perfect.

Reactions: J2

J2

Did you get this idea from a movie? I watched a movie where this was how the rapture happened. Didn’t even have a resurrection of the dead. That was glossed over completely.
No not from a movie, I was just having a lot of trouble sleeping recently and was pondering how on earth those left behind could explain away our disappearance. I still don’t understand how on earth that will happen!

Kerbluey

No not from a movie, I was just having a lot of trouble sleeping recently and was pondering how on earth those left behind could explain away our disappearance. I still don’t understand how on earth that will happen!

After 2020 I have no trouble believing the terrified masses will cling to any explanation if it makes them feel okay, and they’ll turn on whoever dares to question this explanation. I never really understood how far America has slouched towards tyranny until this year.

glc11

After 2020 I have no trouble believing the terrified masses will cling to any explanation if it makes them feel okay, and they’ll turn on whoever dares to question this explanation. I never really understood how far America has slouched towards tyranny until this year.
exactly!!!!!!!!

glc11

Not all who are saved believe in a rapture, they are anticipating having to survive during part or all of the tribulation first. When he mentions about those who love His appearing, he's referring to those of us who are eagerly waiting and watching for Him to come to gather us before the trib starts, because we are waiting and watching for Him, not waiting and watching for the antichrist. They will be shocked and pleasantly surprised when they are caught up along with us before they expected. But those who were not eagerly waiting in anticipation of His coming will not receive that crown.
OK... so I guess I am now embarrassed because .... I never remember learning this.

Those of us who believe in the rapture and are eagerly anticipating, watching and waiting are going to receive a crown that others who are saved and who are also raptured will not???

pixelpusher

OK... so I guess I am now embarrassed because .... I never remember learning this.

Those of us who believe in the rapture and are eagerly anticipating, watching and waiting are going to receive a crown that others who are saved and who are also raptured will not???

Indeed there is:
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. - 2nd Timothy 4:8

Other versions say "longed for His appearing" and "eagerly look forward to His appearing".

glc11

Indeed there is:
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. - 2nd Timothy 4:8

Other versions say "longed for His appearing" and "eagerly look forward to His appearing".
Wow, exciting to learn something new!!!! I guess I would have read that to mean that all those who are saved would receive this because I would assume that every saved soul would love his appearing when it happens ..... even if they weren't actively waiting for it and know it to be any day now (like we do on this board).

I just read some commentaries on this verse. Interesting that it would be a crown for just those who are specifically looking for the rapture. I wonder what it will mean exactly. a head dress? does it come with any other specific rewards? . pretty exciting!

WaitingForTheTrumpet

Wow, exciting to learn something new!!!! I guess I would have read that to mean that all those who are saved would receive this because I would assume that every saved soul would love his appearing when it happens ..... even if they weren't actively waiting for it and know it to be any day now (like we do on this board).

I just read some commentaries on this verse. Interesting that it would be a crown for just those who are specifically looking for the rapture. I wonder what it will mean exactly. a head dress? does it come with any other specific rewards? . pretty exciting!
There are many who don't even believe in a rapture, let alone that we should be eagerly awaiting it. It's a crown (there are other crowns, like ones for those martyred for their faith, one for pastors, one for soul-winning, etc.) that we will cast at Jesus' feet as we worship Him after we are awarded them.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
There are many who don't even believe in a rapture, let alone that we should be eagerly awaiting it. It's a crown (there are other crowns, like ones for those martyred for their faith, one for pastors, one for soul-winning, etc.) that we will cast at Jesus' feet as we worship Him after we are awarded them.

I've always wondered what happens to the crowns after that. Does Jesus get a giant crown warehouse? Or do we end up wearing them for safekeeping even though they're His? :lol

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
It blows me away that there are so many who don't believe in the Rapture when the Scriptures clearly teach it.
I guess they won't be getting a crown of righteousness.

glc11

It blows me away that there are so many who don't believe in the Rapture when the Scriptures clearly teach it.
I guess they won't be getting a crown of righteousness.
I know.. they just think it is too far-fetched sounding I guess, I try to rationalize it with "well, do you believe God can perform miracles?" "Did God create everything out of nothing?"...... then yes, he can rapture us away and create a delusion to explain to those left behind with whatever he wills them to hear.

I know.. they just think it is too far-fetched sounding I guess, I try to rationalize it with "well, do you believe God can perform miracles?" "Did God create everything out of nothing?"...... then yes, he can rapture us away and create a delusion to explain to those left behind with whatever he wills them to hear.

I don't think He would create a delusion; the Lord isn't a liar and I don't think He would try to disguise the Rapture. Man is perfectly capable of thinking what he wants without help.

Back