Could “Rapture” mean physical death ?

InsuranceGuy

Timothy2 4:8 says Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

This is a crown every Raptured person will receive for looking for and anticipating the coming of Christ.

A crown of righteousness for all!

The crown is for the anticipation and awaiting the Rapture though, not for being Raptured.

TheRedeemed

The crown is for the anticipation and awaiting the Rapture though, not for being Raptured.

Hi Dan,

Nice to see you still around the place, I hope you're doing fine. :)

In response to your reply, that's true, but...

..if you're looking for the rapture, you're going in it too, or be one of the 'dead in Christ' to rise first, either way, you get your crown.

Hope mine fits as I don't care much for head gear, which was the worst thing about motorcycling for me, having to wear a heavy duty lid for hours at a time.

Helmet hair is a thing you know! I hope there's no such thing as crown hair then :p

WaitingForTheTrumpet

The reward I was referring to is my terminology (not the Bible) of being a part of the rapture moment and not having to suffer death. I think of it as a reward since all others except Elijah and Enoch had to die rather than experience the rapture as an extremely exclusive and rare gift (reward). But I do agree with the other posts about the crown as a reward; however wouldn't that reward be true for all who died in Christ, not just those who are raptured.
Not all who are saved believe in a rapture, they are anticipating having to survive during part or all of the tribulation first. When he mentions about those who love His appearing, he's referring to those of us who are eagerly waiting and watching for Him to come to gather us before the trib starts, because we are waiting and watching for Him, not waiting and watching for the antichrist. They will be shocked and pleasantly surprised when they are caught up along with us before they expected. But those who were not eagerly waiting in anticipation of His coming will not receive that crown.

Lovin Jesus

I’m thinking that if Paul says we will be be “changed” in a twinkling of an eye
1 Corinthians 15:51, we wouldn’t be raptured in our earthly bodies as we note verse 50 saying “ I declare to you brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable “. Then verse 53 continues, “ for the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and we must be changed”. Maybe because we will change there will not be any body left behind.
Edit to add: I’m not sure if these verses apply to the dead in Christ. I’m not able to find scripture to support their spirits returning to meet with their bodies would mean their earthly bodies will be taken up to heaven.
I know Jesus ascended body and all, but then that was Jesus

Last edited:
I think this passage from Scripture negates the idea of the Rapture involving physical death:

" Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory. “O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Corinthians 15:50-56, NASB, emphasis mine)

Because we are not under the law, it is not necessary for us to die in order to be changed to immortality in the Rapture. As a point of fact: the Rapture signifies the defeat of death.

Death has eaten enough in the ages past; it needs no more to feast upon.

Eric Nicholas

I think this passage from Scripture negates the idea of the Rapture involving physical death:

" Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory. “O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Corinthians 15:50-56, NASB, emphasis mine)

Because we are not under the law, it is not necessary for us to die in order to be changed to immortality in the Rapture. As a point of fact: the Rapture signifies the defeat of death.

Death has eaten enough in the ages past; it needs no more to feast upon.

I always love your messages. You are well armed.

Lovin Jesus

I got some better understand about the dead in Christ who are raised at the time of the rapture in reading the verses prior to 1 Corinthians 15:50-56.

” But someone will ask, how are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come? How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else. But God gives it a body as he has determined, and to each kind of seed he gives it’s own body. Not all flesh are the same, people have one kind of flesh, animals another, and fish another. There are also heavenly bodies and there are earthly bodies, but the splendor of the heavenly bodies is one kind, and the splendor of the earthly bodies is another. The sun has one kind of splendor, the moon another and the stars another, and star differs from star in splendor. So it will be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown perishable, it is raised imperishable, it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory, it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power, it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. 1 Corinthians 15:35-44
” the first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man is of heaven. As was the earthly man, so are those of the earth, and as is the heavenly man, so also are those who are of heaven. And just as we have borne the image of the earthly man, so shall we bear the image of the heavenly man. 1 Corinthians 15:47-59.
” Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is” 1 John 3:2

ninicat

Those in Christ who are already dead are now in spirit until that glorious moment when the rapture takes place. How awesome will it be to one second be in an older hurting body, the next in a perfect and Glorified body?
Do you think we will see the dead be translated first and actually realize what’s taking place and then we are raptured? Or do you think it will happen so quickly we’ll just go whoosh? Either way I’m good! Come soon Lord Jesus!

Andy C

Do you think we will see the dead be translated first and actually realize what’s taking place and then we are raptured? Or do you think it will happen so quickly we’ll just go whoosh? Either way I’m good! Come soon Lord Jesus!
IMO, it will be so fast, we wont have time to notice. When He calls, its happening as fast as he can think it, and unlike how slow my brain works, His is beyond what we can understand.

Im a life long runner, and a former competitive racer. Im ok with those who have already died beating me to Him, and having to spend eternity with them telling me “beat you”..... :biggrin2

Batman

In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye is certainly the scriptural statement but I think a lot of us having read and believed about the type of rapture Elijah experienced, and Christ as he left the earth, and eventually the 2 witnesses is the reason we still wonder if this will play out in a manner to be seen by us (as in the dead raising first) and those left behind.

Love His Appearing

I’m a little embarrassed to ask this, but is there any possibility that our rapture could be in spirit only, leaving our earthly bodies behind? I can imagine the narrative of how suddenly “x” percent of the global population dropped dead easier to become disillusioned about then our vanishing from “alien abduction”.
Like everyone else has already said, I think NO. Enoch walked with God and then God took him. (Note that Enoch's clothes were also not left on the ground.)

But that said, I started wondering a few months ago when nearly everyone I know got sick including me. Not covid sick. Other stuff like Lymphoma and mono and melanoma and rheumatoid arthritis and for me, just an unexplained low pulse ox which gives me wicked migraines and debilitating fatigue.

Back