Could Melchizedek Be One of the Two Witnesses During the Tribulation

mattfivefour

I'm on the theophany train, personally, but, some scholars, for whatever reason have a prejudice against that position. When I was in seminary, I asked my Old Testament prof about it. He told me that Melchizedek "absolutely was not a theophany". He apparently based it on his opinion that Melchizedek was presented as a mortal in the Old Testament. :noidea2
Yuuuuup. That's why I sometimes slip up and refer to seminary as cemetery. :lol

Wings Like Eagles

Yuuuuup. That's why I sometimes slip up and refer to seminary as cemetery. :lol
Now THAT's the truth! I went to a "conservative" cemet...I mean seminary and was shocked by the level of Bible-ignorance among the seminarians. But they knew Walter Kaiser, inside-out. Fifteen-syllable German words are just not impressive to me. :rolleyes::blahblah

Last edited:

Batman

I agree. I think Melchizedek was a real person and is a type of the coming King of Kings and Lord of Lords. If he is a real person it will be something to finally see him in the great beyond.

Abed_nego2

Servant of the Lord
I would suggest that the two strong probabilities that the two witnesses are Moses and Elijah, but not provable. But we can e certain about several things:

1. Moses and Elijah are alive and very well in God's presence (Matthew 17:1-3).

2. Just as God had true prophets throughout history to confront false prophets, He will empower two very capable witnesses to contradict the "False Prophet" of Revelation 13:11-16.

3. After they are "killed" they are resurrected and caught up, and once again are alive and well with God!

Revelation 11 reminds us not to "fear them that kill the body, but rather to fear Him who has power over the body and the soul" (Matthew 10:28). As He did with the 5th seal martyrs (Revelation 6:9-11), God takes these witnesses into heaven where they are alive and well for all eternity. Thus, we too need to be a faithful witness for God.

katt

Anyone could be one of the two witnesses but nothing I have read even hints he could be one of the two.

The below is from Jack Kelley.

Question: Recently in a bible study at my church my pastor and I had a disagreement on who Melchizadek was. I believe he was Christ appearing before his incarnation, my pastor does not and seemed to get agitated for me saying that. But if you look at how the book of Hebrews describes him, to me it’s just too obvious. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Answer: Melchizedek might be a title rather than a name. It means King of Righteousness. There is only one who can legitimately be called that, and it’s Jesus. Some teach that Noah’s son Shem is being referred to in Genesis 14 where Melchizedek met with Abraham, since he was still alive then. Others say that it’s the Lord in an Old Testament appearance.

In Hebrews 7 the writer contends that since no mention is made of Melchizedek’s ancestors, his genealogy, his birth or his death, it’s as if he’s immortal, like Jesus, and therefore his priesthood is eternal. He goes on to quote Psalm 110 where God made Jesus a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek. So at the very least Melchizedek was a model or type of Jesus.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/was-melchizedek-really-jesus/
I have heard it preached that Melchizedek is Jesus, if not, I still don't believe he will be one of the witnesses, I've always had in the back of my mind, it might be John, it is said he died of old age, but when questioned about John, Jesus asked his disciples what was it to them if he lived til he saw the Kingdom Of God come to pass, so, in my mind, it's possible for John to still be alive somewhere, however if he is, this brings up a problem, John will get raptured with us, so, he could have been taken in his mortal state like Elijah was, but then, what about Enoch? There are some versions that actually come right out and say that God promised Enoch he would never see death, which means he's already got his glorified body, and knocks him out of being one of the witnesses.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
I have heard it preached that Melchizedek is Jesus, if not, I still don't believe he will be one of the witnesses, I've always had in the back of my mind, it might be John, it is said he died of old age, but when questioned about John, Jesus asked his disciples what was it to them if he lived til he saw the Kingdom Of God come to pass, so, in my mind, it's possible for John to still be alive somewhere, however if he is, this brings up a problem, John will get raptured with us, so, he could have been taken in his mortal state like Elijah was, but then, what about Enoch? There are some versions that actually come right out and say that God promised Enoch he would never see death, which means he's already got his glorified body, and knocks him out of being one of the witnesses.
Enoch is a picture of the Raptured Church.
The Church will not be here during the Tribulation.
He also is an illustration that " not all shall sleep".

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
What ever Melchizedek was, Christ now holds his office - forever.

Could it be him? I suppose, but It seems Christ took his place. Elijah and Enoch both have unfinished business.

Besides Moses was only allowed to look on the Promised land, not enter it.

Whether we can guess someone or these two are totally new persons, I might expect them to be very devout and specially cared for and walking the earth Before the Rapture which could lead to date speculation and whatnot. That appears to dilute the unexpectedness of the Rapture.

But Divinely appearing and working in power during the Trib, it would be both unannounced and all the more awe inspiring for the few that might believe.
I think it would inspire some to be willing to die for the Truth the two proclaim.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
What ever Melchizedek was, Christ now holds his office - forever.

Could it be him? I suppose, but It seems Christ took his place. Elijah and Enoch both have unfinished business.

Besides Moses was only allowed to look on the Promised land, not enter it.

Whether we can guess someone or these two are totally new persons, I might expect them to be very devout and specially cared for and walking the earth Before the Rapture which could lead to date speculation and whatnot. That appears to dilute the unexpectedness of the Rapture.

But Divinely appearing and working in power during the Trib, it would be both unannounced and all the more awe inspiring for the few that might believe.
I think it would inspire some to be willing to die for the Truth the two proclaim.
I Find it interesting that revelation states that the witnesses will be wearing sackcloth during their temporary ministry.

Maybe that's a hint to them being 2/3 old testament characters sent back here during the trib timrs ?

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
I Find it interesting that revelation states that the witnesses will be wearing sackcloth during their temporary ministry.

Maybe that's a hint to them being 2/3 old testament characters sent back here during the trib timrs ?
Sackcloth represents mourning, repentance, humility...
The sackcloth upon these two witnesses will speak volumes to Israel directly , but others as well.
You could write a book on sackcloth .

Last edited:
Back