Could Melchizedek Be One of the Two Witnesses During the Tribulation

ZAGS

Melchizedek fascinates me because he was both a priest and a king. Abraham paid a tithe to him as he was a patriarch. Also there is no mention of his genealogy, and no record of his birth or death. He is only mentioned twice, once in Genesis 14 18-20, and Hebrews 7 1-22. I know there is debate on who the two witnesses could be most believing Moses and Elijah, but could Melchizedek be a possible candidate? Just curious to see what others might think.

Last edited:

Andy C

Anyone could be one of the two witnesses but nothing I have read even hints he could be one of the two.

The below is from Jack Kelley.

Question: Recently in a bible study at my church my pastor and I had a disagreement on who Melchizadek was. I believe he was Christ appearing before his incarnation, my pastor does not and seemed to get agitated for me saying that. But if you look at how the book of Hebrews describes him, to me it’s just too obvious. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Answer: Melchizedek might be a title rather than a name. It means King of Righteousness. There is only one who can legitimately be called that, and it’s Jesus. Some teach that Noah’s son Shem is being referred to in Genesis 14 where Melchizedek met with Abraham, since he was still alive then. Others say that it’s the Lord in an Old Testament appearance.

In Hebrews 7 the writer contends that since no mention is made of Melchizedek’s ancestors, his genealogy, his birth or his death, it’s as if he’s immortal, like Jesus, and therefore his priesthood is eternal. He goes on to quote Psalm 110 where God made Jesus a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek. So at the very least Melchizedek was a model or type of Jesus.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/was-melchizedek-really-jesus/

Bethlehem57

Pretty sure Michael Jackson won’t be. Agree with TT and OP.

Melchizedek, according to what I have studied and understand is a Christophany...a fancy term for Jesus’ appearance in the OT, before His birth. We know that Jesus has been part of the Trinity since time and Creation began. Melchizedek is an example of Christ appearing in the OT. There are others.

Also I thought it interesting that when “an Angel of the Lord” appears, unless it’s either a Christophany or a Theopany (God appearing) the angel quickly tells whomever he’s appeared to not to “worship him..or to get up and not worship him..” When God appears, He accepts (demands) worship because of Who He is...as in Moses and the burning bush for example. Interesting stuff.

RonJohnSilver

Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly, I'm still a bit foggy from sleep. Yes, it isn't Michael Jackson. So, option 1 is Elvis and Buddy Holly. Now, option 2 ... Scripture says it is appointed for men to die once, then judgment. So, neither Enoch nor Elijah died. But, several others appear to have died twice, like Lazarus and those who came forth at the cross. And Moses died because Michael and Satan argued about his body. So, it seems that the once died isn't necessarily literal. Which puts Moses back into the picture. Jesus said that Elijah would come again and then later the text says that he did come although 'in the spirit and power of Elijah' meaning John the Baptist. So is Elijah's coming literal or not? The miracles the two witnesses perform certainly remind us of Moses and Elijah. And they appeared with Jesus at the transfiguration, Enoch did not. So, my money's still on Moses and Elijah. And my second choice is Elijah and Enoch. Elvis and Buddy are in 3rd.

Andy C

Depends on who's tradition you're leaning on... tradition or not, it's just speculation.
Agree 100 percent. As much as I believe it could be Moses and Elijah, its just a guess. I think its equally probable that God could raise 2 unknown individuals to be the 2 witnesses. It really matters little who they are, what matters is what they will do for 3.5 years.

ZAGS

Anyone could be one of the two witnesses but nothing I have read even hints he could be one of the two.

The below is from Jack Kelley.

Question: Recently in a bible study at my church my pastor and I had a disagreement on who Melchizadek was. I believe he was Christ appearing before his incarnation, my pastor does not and seemed to get agitated for me saying that. But if you look at how the book of Hebrews describes him, to me it’s just too obvious. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Answer: Melchizedek might be a title rather than a name. It means King of Righteousness. There is only one who can legitimately be called that, and it’s Jesus. Some teach that Noah’s son Shem is being referred to in Genesis 14 where Melchizedek met with Abraham, since he was still alive then. Others say that it’s the Lord in an Old Testament appearance.

In Hebrews 7 the writer contends that since no mention is made of Melchizedek’s ancestors, his genealogy, his birth or his death, it’s as if he’s immortal, like Jesus, and therefore his priesthood is eternal. He goes on to quote Psalm 110 where God made Jesus a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek. So at the very least Melchizedek was a model or type of Jesus.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/was-melchizedek-really-jesus/
Thank you for the link.

Wings Like Eagles

Melchizedek fascinates me because he was both a priest and a king. Abraham paid a tithe to him as he was a patriarch. Also there is no mention of his genealogy, and no record of his birth or death. He is only mentioned twice, once in Genesis 14 18-20, and Hebrews 7 1-22. I know there is debate on who the two witnesses could be most believing Moses and Elijah, but could Melchizedek be a possible candidate? Just curious to see what others might think.
Interesting idea! I always wondered if Melchizedek was Enoch and will show up again as one of the Two Witnesses. Some Christians believe that Melchizedek is a theophany--but, there is nothing mentioned that would validate that position--he sounds like he is mortal. However, the O.T. indicates that there is something VERY unusual about Melchizedek. Ancient people were typically obsessed with genealogies. Why wasn't Melchizedek's recorded--especially since he was such an important figure? There are only three somewhat prominent figures in the Old Testament whose deaths were not recorded: Enoch, Elijah and Melchizedek. Hebrews 9:27 also tells us that, "It is appointed to man once to die, and then the judgment". So we know that mortals might be resuscitated but that they will eventually die and subsequently, be resurrected to eternal life in the New Jerusalem which comes down out of heaven, or eternal death in the Lake of Fire. We are also told that Elijah will return just prior to the appearance of Messiah. John the Baptist fulfilled his role in the "spirit and power of Elijah," at the First advent, even though John the Baptist denied actually BEING Elijah. I believe that when the real Elijah returns that it will be an astounding event for Jews who will know that he is the real Elijah because the miracles of judgment that he performs will authenticate his witness.

mattfivefour

I'm in the camp that believes that Melchizedek is a Christophany.
I am, too. Melchizedek in Hebrew is Melech Tzedek ... which literally means King of Righteousness. According to Scripture, Melchizedek was the "King of Salem", which in the original Hebrew is Melech Shalom. Melech Shalom literally means King of Peace. There is only ONE person I know in Scripture who combines the offices of both priest and king. His name is Jesus. Jesus is also the only King of Righteousness I know and the only King of Peace. Hence why I preach and teach he was a Christophany.

ZAGS

As I was looking over the comments and the link I discovered that Melchizedek is mentioned three times in the Bible. Very interesting and exciting as numerology in the Bible is never random. The number three represents above all the Holy Trinity.
Number 3 in the Bible represents the Holy Trinity of God, which is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. It also represents Divine Perfection, as many things in the world are made up of three parts, which include time, with the past, present, and future; space, which consists of height, width, and depth; and lastly, matter, which consists of solid, liquid, and gas.

Other forms of divine perfection include mankind, having a mind, body, and spirit; the three abilities of mankind being thought, words, and action; the three places men dwell, which are heaven, earth, and hell; and the three gifts of grace, which are faith, hope, and love, among many other mentions in the Bible that exist in 3’s.

Wings Like Eagles

I am, too. Melchizedek in Hebrew is Melech Tzedek ... which literally means King of Righteousness. According to Scripture, Melchizedek was the "King of Salem", which in the original Hebrew is Melech Shalom. Melech Shalom literally means King of Peace. There is only ONE person I know in Scripture who combines the offices of both priest and king. His name is Jesus. Jesus is also the only King of Righteousness I know and the only King of Peace. Hence why I preach and teach he was a Christophany.
I'm on the theophany train, personally, but, some scholars, for whatever reason have a prejudice against that position. When I was in seminary, I asked my Old Testament prof about it. He told me that Melchizedek "absolutely was not a theophany". He apparently based it on his opinion that Melchizedek was presented as a mortal in the Old Testament. :noidea2

Back