Coronavirus update

Accepted

Well Mike and I have been through Katrina aftermath and it was a unique disaster....they all are. If this is something we will go through, it will be nothing like you have expected or imagined. I'll tell you the experience we gained was about depending on Him from day to day and giving thanks He took us through another day. It is an amazing time of Him drawing us closer to Him by showing and teaching us He is the One in control of it all. We never felt were on our own, depending on ourselves or getting by from our strength, determination and grit. If you are His child, this will be a time He will show you great and wondrous things where it can't be explained away and is nothing less than a miracle from God. He is a very very Gracious and Amazing God!!! And that is my main take away
Thank you for this, Susan!! So true!

Love His Appearing

I wonder if there is an alternative to the travel (skype meetings, or what's app - might be useful if it is a setting where the person at the other end needs to show something, e.g. a piece of machinery - as the phone is very portable)? If this does get worse, if we can find alternatives it will help protect businesses.
Yes, this is exactly what they are discussing at the meeting. It's a small magazine publishing company which is on its way out, anyway. But they make their money selling ads and you usually have to go where the customers are to get them to sign. *I* think it could all be done via Skype, but what do I know?
Just need to remember to wash my hands very well after handling the baskets it comes in and signing for it!
I just came from Target and they were out of basket wipes. So I grabbed a pack of bleach wipes and used one before I started shopping then just threw the opened container in my basket. It's not like I won't use them and I've done it with cookies a million times when my kids were little and I needed a "just stay in the basket a few more minutes without whining" bribe. I never actually thought about disinfecting my canned goods once I got them home, but it's a good idea. (Not out of fear of pandemics but out of general yuckiness factor.)

Last edited:

Cindy S.

Pope observes usual Ash Wednesday customs in time of virus
https://www.woodtv.com/news/interna...usual-ash-wednesday-customs-in-time-of-virus/

VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis celebrated the Ash Wednesday ritual that kicks off the Catholic Church’s Lenten season in traditional fashion while greeting the public in Rome as other Masses were canceled in northern Italy over fears of the coronavirus outbreak.

Francis and a long line of priests, bishops and cardinals walked in a procession through Rome’s Aventine hill into the 5th-century Santa Sabina basilica for a late-afternoon Mass. Neither the priests nor the faithful wore face masks, but Rome has largely been spared the virus as Italy’s national case count grew to 400.

Other Catholic countries took Ash Wednesday precautions. In the Philippines — Asia’s only majority Roman Catholic country — priests sprinkled ashes on the heads of the faithful rather than making the mark of the cross on their foreheads to avoid physical contact.

“Wherever the ash is placed, on the forehead or on the head, the feeling is the same, it’s uplifting,” Editha Lorenzo, a 49-year-old mother of two wearing a face mask, told The Associated Press in Manila.

At the Vatican, Francis held his general audience as usual in St. Peter’s Square and sent his prayers to people sickened by the virus and the medical personnel treating them. In the crowd of thousands, a handful had masks on their faces.

“I want to again express my closeness to those suffering from the coronavirus and the health care workers who are treating them, as well as the civil authorities and all those who are working to help patients and stop the contagion,” Francis said.

Francis kissed at least one child as he looped through the square in his popemobile and made a point to shake hands with the faithful sitting in the front row. Usually, he only waves. He also greeted prelates with a handshake at the beginning and end of the gathering, but it appeared most clergy were refraining from kissing Francis’ ring or embracing him, as they normally would do.

n his remarks, he urged the faithful to put down their cellphones during Lent and pick up the Bible instead.

“It is the time to give up useless words, chatter, rumors, gossip, and talk and to speak directly to the Lord,” he said.

While Francis went ahead with his usual Ash Wednesday plans, the patriarchate of Venice canceled the Mass scheduled for St. Mark’s Basilica, after a handful of elderly people in the lagoon city tested positive for the virus.

The surrounding Veneto region is one of two northern Italian regions where clusters of cases emerged in Italy. The other is Lombardy.

In the Philippines, the Rev. Victorino Cueto, rector of the popular National Shrine of our Mother of Perpetual Help in the Manila metropolis, said the practice of sprinkling ash on heads of devotees was a precaution to prevent the spread of infections but actually is an old tradition based on the Old Testament.

“It’s better to be cautious,” said churchgoer Evet Accion.

On Good Friday, which marks Christ’s death on the cross, bishops in the Philippines strongly suggested that churchgoers refrain from kissing or touching the cross, a common practice among Catholics. “Instead, the faithful are requested to genuflect or make a profound bow as they venerate the cross,” said Archbishop Romulo Valles, who heads the bishops’ conference.

Last month, the bishops recommended that Catholics receive the Eucharistic host by the hand instead of the mouth and avoid holding hands in prayer during Masses as precautions amid the viral scare.

Lovin Jesus

I was watching CSPAN Senate hearing on Coronavirus. The Virus Team HHS and some doctors were being asked questions by the Senators. I felt sorry for the Team with how they were treated by the Democrat Senators. They were grilling them like they were criminals on trial. Such a difference on the approach from Republicans who were respectful and the Democrats always with so much anger.

Andy C

Reborn to fly
I think the President is doing this press conference to reassure the nation. In January HHS secretary Azar declared a national public health emergency already. The CDC has pretty much told us what there is to know right now, even though cases here are low and the risk of infection is still low, a national outbreak is expected, as they put it...it's not a matter if but when. If the President says the virus is under control at this point maybe he's right, in comparison to the rapid spread in other countries. But I think for him to try to keep the nation calm at this point is probably a good thing, I'd hate to see a panic. I feel that as long as we are kept informed truthfully as to the status of this virus that's all I care about.
This will be interesting, and I will definitely watch.

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
I was watching CSPAN Senate hearing on Coronavirus. The Virus Team HHS and some doctors were being asked questions by the Senators. I felt sorry for the Team with how they were treated by the Democrat Senators. They were grilling them like they were criminals on trial. Such a difference on the approach from Republicans who were respectful and the Democrats always with so much anger.
How irritating!

NCannie

Latest update: So Bailey’s school has given them 3 different options

1. Leave this weekend. Self quarantine for 14 days and come back to the university after break, live on campus and they will provide classes that are similar to get credit..

2. Leave this weekend. Come home and self quarantine for 14 days and then work from your house via web with professors in Florence IF the professor can do it remotely and provide proper instruction that way.

3. Stay there. Continue to go to classes. There are no cases currently in Florence. Expect possible shut down of the city. Wait to see if school closes and sends them home.

So here are a few things I have researched and info I have and we have made a decision. Mortality rate for ages 29 and under .2% . Percentage of individuals in Italy currently with coronavirus is .0008 percent. 75% of confirmed cases are over the age of 60. I could go on. I have been told by another parent who is neighbor’s with a doctor of the CDC and part of WHO that his family is traveling internationally next week and he is comfortable. Also working with SOS international that works with justice department that they are not shutting down flights to and from Italy. They said they would stop Japan, Taiwan, South Korea first. All that being said, Bailey is staying for now. A great resource if someone has not mentioned it is the world o meter coronavirus. It’s a live feed. Please continue to pray for us as this situation is so fluid.

Lovin Jesus

Latest update: So Bailey’s school has given them 3 different options

1. Leave this weekend. Self quarantine for 14 days and come back to the university after break, live on campus and they will provide classes that are similar to get credit..

2. Leave this weekend. Come home and self quarantine for 14 days and then work from your house via web with professors in Florence IF the professor can do it remotely and provide proper instruction that way.

3. Stay there. Continue to go to classes. There are no cases currently in Florence. Expect possible shut down of the city. Wait to see if school closes and sends them home.

So here are a few things I have researched and info I have and we have made a decision. Mortality rate for ages 29 and under .2% . Percentage of individuals in Italy currently with coronavirus is .0008 percent. 75% of confirmed cases are over the age of 60. I could go on. I have been told by another parent who is neighbor’s with a doctor of the CDC and part of WHO that his family is traveling internationally next week and he is comfortable. Also working with SOS international that works with justice department that they are not shutting down flights to and from Italy. They said they would stop Japan, Taiwan, South Korea first. All that being said, Bailey is staying for now. A great resource if someone has not mentioned it is the world o meter coronavirus. It’s a live feed. Please continue to pray for us as this situation is so fluid.
Praying

twerpv

29,000 people die every year from ‘the flu’ in the US. 15 people have been infected in the US, some released already from the hospital.
This whole thing is unnecessary hysteria.

BTW, at the press conference:
Press - “What do you think about Nancy Pelosi saying you don’t know what you are talking about?.”

Trump - “I think Nancy Pelosi is incompetent...”

Haha!

Andy C

Reborn to fly
Good brief by the President. Considering how many world wide are infected, and we have the most visited country, the fact that only 15 cases have happened here is incredible. Our country is as prepared as it can be for worse case scenario, but as the President said, he does not think we will reach a very high level of infections.

athenasius

well I was just looking up why Italy is spiking so bad, and came across a BEARD and MOUSTACHE Alert by the CDC. I cracked up thinking of all those full bearded muslim men (and some women too perhaps if they are conflicted about their gender and taking hormones)

OK so here https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/is-yo...air-guide-amid-coronavirus-outbreak-1.4829123 is one of our Canadian News outlets reporting on the NEWS YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW

namely whether your respirator will fit over your face fur!

And looking at all the red xs below the full muslim face o fur, I realized that the Chinese may have cleverly launched this virus as a weapon against muslim men and the women who wish to emulate them.

Clean shaven men and restrained mustaches are FINE! The full on Salvador Dali and Fu Manchu need a trim. The soul patch beloved of millennial males and wannabes is also safe.

Oh and Italy-- well that's another story for another day.

Meanwhile if Covid-19 turns out to be a bit of a bust in the way of many an epidemic of the past, it may actually introduce the muslim males to the dreaded razor!

madcat

well I was just looking up why Italy is spiking so bad, and came across a BEARD and MOUSTACHE Alert by the CDC. I cracked up thinking of all those full bearded muslim men (and some women too perhaps if they are conflicted about their gender and taking hormones)

OK so here https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/is-yo...air-guide-amid-coronavirus-outbreak-1.4829123 is one of our Canadian News outlets reporting on the NEWS YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW

namely whether your respirator will fit over your face fur!

And looking at all the red xs below the full muslim face o fur, I realized that the Chinese may have cleverly launched this virus as a weapon against muslim men and the women who wish to emulate them.

Clean shaven men and restrained mustaches are FINE! The full on Salvador Dali and Fu Manchu need a trim. The soul patch beloved of millennial males and wannabes is also safe.

Oh and Italy-- well that's another story for another day.

Meanwhile if Covid-19 turns out to be a bit of a bust in the way of many an epidemic of the past, it may actually introduce the muslim males to the dreaded razor!
Hey Andy —— is this why you shaved your “face fur”???? :cateyes :cateyes :cateyes :cateyes

Accepted

29,000 people die every year from ‘the flu’ in the US. 15 people have been infected in the US, some released already from the hospital.
This whole thing is unnecessary hysteria.

BTW, at the press conference:
Press - “What do you think about Nancy Pelosi saying you don’t know what you are talking about?.”

Trump - “I think Nancy Pelosi is incompetent...”

Haha!
Every single time he was asked a “gotcha” question, he calmly turned it around in his favor. His answers regarding the stock market drop actually cracked me up! I was impressed.