Coronavirus update

Narrow Path

That sounds like pure speculation.

I am still not sure I am supposed to afford any of the stuff I need to stock up. I hate that I am freaking out about this. The numbers are still not suggesting the 10s of thousands dying all at once....not even in China where the numbers are starting to slow a bit. And I don’t see any reasons to really doubt the numbers. And the death rate is probably lower when you consider those with mild illnesses aren’t going to see the doctor and get added to the official tally. But the disruptions are very real.

And preppers do come across as rubbing their hands in glee with any potential disaster just they can prove how not crazy they are. I have seen the contempt they have for others.
Aesop’s Fable.... there are ants and there are grasshoppers in life.

I’m not rubbing my hands in glee at the potential for a huge deadly crisis, but it does validate my preparedness efforts.

Some will continue to downplay and ridicule. I get the sense that that lashing out is sometimes a sign of remorse for getting caught underprepared after ignoring the warnings and recommendations. There is an ironic parallel at play here considering this is a forum on heeding the call to accept Christ.

Andy C

Lots of great info about prepping on here. I always have a few months worth of food in prep kits, and a few dozen cases of bottled water, and plenty of weapons and rounds. If the worst case scenario does come true, without the means to protect your family and supplies, there is no sense in prepping as it will be stolen by force.

I am definitely following the track of this virus, and paying attention to the stats. I still dont believe it will become a true pandemic, but if it does, I can survive for awhile, and then Im ready to go home.

JamesSuth

Dear Lord, please give all of us a sense of your will and guidance for each of us individually as how to proceed with this situation. Let any ideas that you know would be helpful rise up in our thoughts gently and persistently to follow through on and in it all, let fear be far removed from us but rather let your peace take firm hold of our hearts, your strength, your love. And show us how we can be also reaching out to those who are afraid who need the wonderful hope of Jesus Christ in their lives. Thank you Lord that you are here and that you care!

In Jesus Name Amen. :pray
Amen, thank you for your encouraging post.

The virus is spreading in Iran now. China is taking strong action on this, it will not be the case there where the Mullahs rule. I pray for good people who do not support the evil people who took over after the revolution and who must be worried now. May this be the time that they find Christ. It may be that God uses this virus to bring many to know Him and be saved from the terrible events of the tribulation.

Love His Appearing

Someone up thread mentioned the economic impact of a crisis like this. DH runs a small business where they all travel cross country regularly. His employees are asking to skip travel for the time being. They are having a meeting about it this morning. He says if even just a few of his employees get anxious and opt to stay home, the company is at risk of folding. Or he will have to fire and rehire which is always the worst case scenario. Even if nothing comes of this, I'm worried about the extra stress he is under worrying about feeding the families of all his employees.

I remember years ago when the swine flu was at the beginning stages. I think it was the Vice President but I can't remember now, anyway someone high up in government came on tv and said he wouldn't let his family fly right now and everyone should just stay home until this thing ran its course. I was out of town with my sisters on a spa weekend during which we had left all our our children with their dads. We laughed and laughed and said, "sorry guys, we are gonna have to stay another week in this fancy hotel. The Vice President said so." (We were only teasing. Moms don't play around with that kinda stuff. We would have WALKED home if we had to.)

My grandparents lived through the depression. Mild prepping comes very naturally to me. I've always been a Costco girl, but more for saving time/money than actually prepping. Big family, bulk buying = less time in line at the store and less time needing to GO to the store.

JamesSuth

Someone up thread mentioned the economic impact of a crisis like this. DH runs a small business where they all travel cross country regularly. His employees are asking to skip travel for the time being. They are having a meeting about it this morning. He says if even just a few of his employees get anxious and opt to stay home, the company is at risk of folding.
This is a worry for you. I wonder if there is an alternative to the travel (skype meetings, or what's app - might be useful if it is a setting where the person at the other end needs to show something, e.g. a piece of machinery - as the phone is very portable)? If this does get worse, if we can find alternatives it will help protect businesses.

I usually do my shopping online, so no trips to the grocery store. Just need to remember to wash my hands very well after handling the baskets it comes in and signing for it! And treat the goods delivered as possibly contaminated for a day or so. We can pray to the Lord for guidance on how to respond to this.

Narrow Path

Here’s some humor to lighten things up. Maybe some have heard it already...

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

Andy C

Here’s some humor to lighten things up. Maybe some have heard it already...

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"
Its been a long time since I heard this, thanks for posting this. Sometimes the obvious is tough for someone to see when they have blinders on.

Flyfisher

Its been a long time since I heard this, thanks for posting this. Sometimes the obvious is tough for someone to see when they have blinders on.
Reminds me of another joke.

So a poor widow prays to God every day to let her win the lottery to help her pay the bills. This goes on for months and nothing happens. Then one day an angle arrives at her door and tells her he has a message from God. She gets excited and starts shouting about winning the lottery. The angle quickly quiets her down and says no she did not win the lottery that the message from God is to buy a ticket.

Kaatje

Reminds me of another joke.

So a poor widow prays to God every day to let her win the lottery to help her pay the bills. This goes on for months and nothing happens. Then one day an angle arrives at her door and tells her he has a message from God. She gets excited and starts shouting about winning the lottery. The angle quickly quiets her down and says no she did not win the lottery that the message from God is to buy a ticket.
And I thought an angle is for fishing.... LOL

Lovin Jesus

I think international travel should be paused for a while. There are still flights coming from Asia where its bad
As I thought. Now a flight attendant who flew into LAX airport in Los Angeles on a Korean flight has tested positive for the virus. Really, they need to do more than just have "travel advisories to and from Asia". They need to stop flights altogether.

DanLMP

I didn’t know what you meant, either! :smack2
I take some getting used to.

Regarding the mexicanbeervirus: the mortality rates that I have heard reported seem low. The survivability of the virus also seems to depend on the level of care that the sick receive?

I know that for many who have no understanding of God or expectation of being with God the thought of dying is difficult. They think that when they die, that's it.

We know that when we die, that's when things start.

As stated previously, I'm not looking for ways to increase my time on this earth. Neither am I looking for ways to reduce it. I am relying on God to determine my times.

I will take all of the normal precautions for viruses that I take every year at this time. But if the corona virus kills me, I win.

anath

I Love the Lord
Well Mike and I have been through Katrina aftermath and it was a unique disaster....they all are. If this is something we will go through, it will be nothing like you have expected or imagined. I'll tell you the experience we gained was about depending on Him from day to day and giving thanks He took us through another day. It is an amazing time of Him drawing us closer to Him by showing and teaching us He is the One in control of it all. We never felt were on our own, depending on ourselves or getting by from our strength, determination and grit. If you are His child, this will be a time He will show you great and wondrous things where it can't be explained away and is nothing less than a miracle from God. He is a very very Gracious and Amazing God!!! And that is my main take away

Last edited:

Lovin Jesus

Trump to discuss coronavirus at Wednesday evening news conference
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-announces-wednesday-evening-news-conference-on-coronavirus

President Trump announced Wednesday that he would be holding a 6 p.m. ET news conference to discuss the coronavirus, which is rapidly spreading around the world and triggering fears of a pandemic.

The president also bashed the media and Democrats for allegedly overhyping the threat.

"Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) & @CNN are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus [sic] look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible," Trump said, referencing dives in the U.S. stock market both Monday and Tuesday which were triggered by fears about coronavirus. "Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!"

"I will be having a News Conference at the White House, on this subject, today at 6:00 P.M. CDC representatives, and others, will be there. Thank you!" he wrote.

The president's announcement follows criticism from many in the media about his administration's handling of the threat and comments made by Democratic presidential contenders Tuesday night on the South Carolina debate stage to the same effect.

Ahead of the debate, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., tweeted that Trump is mishandling the U.S. government's response to the virus, which originated in China's Wuhan province and has infected tens of thousands around the globe, despite largely sparing U.S. citizens on American soil so far.
I think the President is doing this press conference to reassure the nation. In January HHS secretary Azar declared a national public health emergency already. The CDC has pretty much told us what there is to know right now, even though cases here are low and the risk of infection is still low, a national outbreak is expected, as they put it...it's not a matter if but when. If the President says the virus is under control at this point maybe he's right, in comparison to the rapid spread in other countries. But I think for him to try to keep the nation calm at this point is probably a good thing, I'd hate to see a panic. I feel that as long as we are kept informed truthfully as to the status of this virus that's all I care about.

Narrow Path

Whether COVID hits us hard or not, it will be bad for Trump’s re-election if the stock market tanks. It’s not too surprising he will try to calm the waters. If he comes out saying everything is fine, but the US does see large numbers of infections and deaths, he’s sunk. Tread lightly Mr. President.