Coronavirus update

Love His Appearing

Great minds think alike. At first, when I showed my hubby the thread on here and told him about he warnings, he got upset and said' "This is what happens when you dive in too deep. You become afraid!" Then he watched Fox News for a bit and started looking for the best way to store water. We went out and bought a water purification filter for campers (we have a pool where we can get the water) and we also bought TP, tissues, PB, coffee and dry creamer and other various foods. Coffee is VERY important.

I also stocked up on Nyquil, cough medicine and Mucinex since this virus has cold symptoms. I have already purchased, vitamin, D and C, oregano oil capsules and colloidal silver to beef up our immune system. Unlike Y2 K where we spent too much money on stuff we would never eat, we purchased things that will get eaten, crisis or not. I feel better now too. We do still have 2 young adult children here that we would like to protect.
That same thing happened here. DH was like "Quit checking those boards. You are making your self crazy." Then he came home with a bunch of stuff from Home Depot "just in case". He was also awfully happy to pack those bleach wipes I picked up this afternoon for his flight tomorrow. I stocked up on NyQuil and Mucinex, too. Enough so that the GM had to come over and do a personal ID check even though the checker was over 21. :laugh (I got 2 of everything we might need. Hardly stocking up to make meth, but I guess it is an unusual purchase. If he looked closer, he would have seen that I also had several boxes of tissue, pepto, saltine crackers and ginger ale. Cuz Pukey McPukster is in the house.

What we need is some spring days so we can open all the windows and get some fresh air in here.

chaser

Just a twinkling from home!
From information I could gather it looks like SARS was much deadlier than this Corona virus. Corona seems to spread faster but death rates are about 2 percent while SARS was approximately 10% mortality rate. And we really do not know the truth on the actual count of infected and mortality rates.

Rocky Rivera

I don't want to hijack the thread topic, but one way it could become a serious international issue is if people being dying by the tens of thousands. Maybe there would be a call for World health care instead of individual national healthcare. Probably a huge stretch to get to that point from this virus, but maybe politicians would begin discussing it.

I'm no longer a prepper, but was once. I was turned off by the Militia people I got to know. They weren't interested in Christ, or surviving something, they were interested in flat out taking their piece of the pie because they had guns and large numbers of trained men. I left the group I was part of many years back. Never once did they mention Jesus, or the end times. At first I thought it was a great idea because of safety in numbers. As time went on, I realized there are thousands of these small groups around the nation and many of them WANT an end times scenario so they can grab land, rob, thieve and do whatever their sinful hearts desire. It took me a while to understand what their true plans were, but once I did, I just disappeared from their meetings and weekend events. I still have some stuff stocked up, but I'm far from a keyboard warrior these days. In my mind, there is nothing wrong with stocking up for things. People do it for snow storms, ice storms, hurricanes and tornadoes, so doing it for a virus doesn't seem any different to me. It's always good to have at least a little extra something put aside, even if it is only cans of soup. If they do not benefit you, maybe they will your neighbor.
And perhaps they'll benefit the brethren who are trying to survive the Tribulation. Nothing like the feeling of God using what you've done even after you've graduated.

MapleLeaf

That sounds like pure speculation.

I am still not sure I am supposed to afford any of the stuff I need to stock up. I hate that I am freaking out about this. The numbers are still not suggesting the 10s of thousands dying all at once....not even in China where the numbers are starting to slow a bit. And I don’t see any reasons to really doubt the numbers. And the death rate is probably lower when you consider those with mild illnesses aren’t going to see the doctor and get added to the official tally. But the disruptions are very real.

And preppers do come across as rubbing their hands in glee with any potential disaster just they can prove how not crazy they are. I have seen the contempt they have for others.

Kaatje

Listening for that trumpet sound
That sounds like pure speculation.

I am still not sure I am supposed to afford any of the stuff I need to stock up. I hate that I am freaking out about this. The numbers are still not suggesting the 10s of thousands dying all at once....not even in China where the numbers are starting to slow a bit. And I don’t see any reasons to really doubt the numbers. And the death rate is probably lower when you consider those with mild illnesses aren’t going to see the doctor and get added to the official tally. But the disruptions are very real.

And preppers do come across as rubbing their hands in glee with any potential disaster just they can prove how not crazy they are. I have seen the contempt they have for others.
Ouch, you’re brushing with a wide brush here.
Not al preppers have contempt for non-preppers. I Certainly don’t.

I’ve just finished my preparations.
The freezer is full, and the pantry is stocked with staples, medication and sanitizers.
If bad comes to worse, we’ll have enough for a month and can even share some.
And if we don’t need it for a lockdown, than we can use it anyways.

My take on is: better safe than sorry.

InMidian

Reporting from FOXNEWS, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Tuesday warned that it expects the novel coronavirus to begin spreading in the U.S. at the community level, and that “disruption to everyday life might be severe.”
Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the agency’s director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said in a press briefing on Tuesday that the time for Americans to begin preparing for a potential outbreak of the virus is now, although officials believe the immediate threat to the public remains low.

“Ultimately, we expect we will see community spread in this country,” Messonnier said. “It’s not a question of if, but when, and how many people in this country will have severe illness.”
Citing the recent uptick in cases with countries with confirmed illnesses, Messonnier said health officials recognize that once the virus hits, it moves “quite rapidly.”

“As more and more countries experience community spread, successful containment at our borders becomes harder and harder,” she said.

The U.S. currently has 14 confirmed cases of the virus in people who have traveled to China or been in close contact with someone who has. An additional 39 residents were infected with the virus while onboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan, but last week the health agency said those cases would be counted separately from the national tally.
One of the people I regularly follow onYouTube was commenting on this. I listened to the briefing and sent it in a group text to my family. My husband, ever the skeptic, was saying they're fear mongering. However, he began searching for emergency food supplies on the web.
Anyway....while looking at some comments on OANN, in which Trump said we're prepared, someone pointed out that Dr. Messonnier is the sister to Rod Rosenstein, former AG who was involved the Mueller report. The person was speculating that this may be a way to damage Trump's chances for re-election. I'm not usually prone to believing conspiracy theories, but after the Obama administration....anything goes.
So, I'm spending my only day off by stocking up and re-organizing my freezer.

Cindy S.

Trump to discuss coronavirus at Wednesday evening news conference
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-announces-wednesday-evening-news-conference-on-coronavirus

President Trump announced Wednesday that he would be holding a 6 p.m. ET news conference to discuss the coronavirus, which is rapidly spreading around the world and triggering fears of a pandemic.

The president also bashed the media and Democrats for allegedly overhyping the threat.

"Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) & @CNN are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus [sic] look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible," Trump said, referencing dives in the U.S. stock market both Monday and Tuesday which were triggered by fears about coronavirus. "Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!"

"I will be having a News Conference at the White House, on this subject, today at 6:00 P.M. CDC representatives, and others, will be there. Thank you!" he wrote.

The president's announcement follows criticism from many in the media about his administration's handling of the threat and comments made by Democratic presidential contenders Tuesday night on the South Carolina debate stage to the same effect.

Ahead of the debate, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., tweeted that Trump is mishandling the U.S. government's response to the virus, which originated in China's Wuhan province and has infected tens of thousands around the globe, despite largely sparing U.S. citizens on American soil so far.

Narrow Path

Why has San Francisco declared a state of emergency? Seems like they’re jumping the gun. They don’t yet have any corona cases.
Pure speculation, but a morning talk show suggested they might be trying to be the early bird to receive any Federal funding that might be available whether there are any infection cases or not. The local progressive government of SF has certainly created plenty of other problems that they think our tax money can fix.

Last edited:

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I think sometimes my sense of humor is over the head too far.
Love your sense of humor DanLMP! :nod

I just wanted to say that we have God who can guide and help us here. He really does listen to our prayers and cares for our needs and that's the most important to focus on. In times of uncertainty I've prayed to God for His guidance as to whether to stock up on items or not. Sometimes He's given a very direct answer through an unusual circumstance or He would bring along what was needed, other times there was just a peace not to worry. That's why my take has been to be prayerfully seeking God about what to do and then trust Him. This is the most important. He is very, very, very, very faithful.

There have been times where I've had the prompt to stock up (as God has led me to) not having a single sense of why, but later being really glad that I did so as what God knew was coming came about (husband being laid off). Then there were times I've wondered and prayed about it and there wasn't anything to prompt me but rather times of assurance from God.

Time upon time when going to God for help with a situation that I had no idea how it would be resolved, God was faithful every time and He still is. :)

So, don't let fear be the guide here. Don't let fear take over (and one can ask God for His help with this too). Remember that God is trustworthy and faithful. Take your fears and concerns to Him as you are monitoring what's going on and trust that God will give directions or supply what's needed or......whatever He may do. He holds us in the palm of His hand and He will never fail us. :)

For I hold you by your right hand—
I, the Lord your God.
And I say to you,
‘Don’t be afraid. I am here to help you.

Isaiah 31:13

Dear Lord, please give all of us a sense of your will and guidance for each of us individually as how to proceed with this situation. Let any ideas that you know would be helpful rise up in our thoughts gently and persistently to follow through on and in it all, let fear be far removed from us but rather let your peace take firm hold of our hearts, your strength, your love. And show us how we can be also reaching out to those who are afraid who need the wonderful hope of Jesus Christ in their lives. Thank you Lord that you are here and that you care!

In Jesus Name Amen. :pray

Love you all! :hug

ETA: I've had my own moments of panic in my life too, so this has always been a good reminder for me as well - I'm not a super Christian, but just as weak as everyone else, leaning on God for His strength. God has come through and my faith has been strengthened.

Last edited: