Coronavirus update

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
25“There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”
Luke 21:25:candle :candle

MapleLeaf

I am far more worried about the economic impact than the virus itself. I have long maintained a 2 week prep shelf (though I could prep more cleaners and over-the-counter meds) but we are still recovering from a personal financial crisis and I don’t know what we will do should things fall apart. And I am kind of angry with those insisting this is some apocalyptic event. The same people act this way with every virus and every time say “we really mean it this time”. This bug sounds catchy to the point there isn’t we can really do to stop it. And I have seen enough prepper info to know the opinions are contradictory and conflicting so who knows what the best thing to do. I am not about to bunker myself away.

But it seems our leaders want to crash the system. Hence the fear-mongering without any real solutions

InsuranceGuy

I'd say utilities general preparedness in North America is pretty good except for California. There are a lot of automated procedures and staff can move around off the routine maintenance to help out. California has had trouble in the past with routine maintenance procedures but even so, they should be able to flex. Dh is retired from working at BC Hydro our local utility.

NCannie, you've gotten good suggestions and I agree, Clorox wipes, Hand Sanitizer gel and masks especially. Think about what her needs are to fly home, and those would be the best but hopefully she'll be on her way home soon. Smaller sizes of gel sanitizer to be handy on the plane. Also I understand the situation is fluid, but she needs to be ready to go -- if she can do it herself, getting out before airlines start evacuations out of Italy might be best.
Good luck with masks. I had my chemo this morning and Barnes Hospital, one of the largest in the entire Midwest, is OUT of masks. They said it could be weeks before they receive more. They have enough for some nurses and doctors, but not all staff. Two weeks ago, all the patients had to wear them. Now, they don't have them for patients at all. When a major Hospital cannot get their hands on necessary medical items, you know there is a serious shortage. My doctors are Cancer doctors, not virus doctors, but they think it is a very real potential for this virus to be really bad. If not this year, then next. Nobody knows yet if this virus will die out with the flu (in the coming weeks) until next year or not. If it does, it could be even worse next year from further mutations or just unpreparedness on our part. I read today where some doctors are urging people to wear a mask even indoors due to the incubation period being so long. You could have this for over 3 weeks and not know it. Having an extra few bottles of water around wouldn't hurt. Same for snacks or whatever so you don't have to go into a germ riddled grocery store for a while. Vitamins can help boost your immune system. So far, the virus has mostly killed people with already compromised immune systems, like me, or the elderly, but again because their immune system is compromised. Crazy times we live in.

Lovin Jesus

Good luck with masks. I had my chemo this morning and Barnes Hospital, one of the largest in the entire Midwest, is OUT of masks. They said it could be weeks before they receive more. They have enough for some nurses and doctors, but not all staff. Two weeks ago, all the patients had to wear them. Now, they don't have them for patients at all. When a major Hospital cannot get their hands on necessary medical items, you know there is a serious shortage. My doctors are Cancer doctors, not virus doctors, but they think it is a very real potential for this virus to be really bad. If not this year, then next. Nobody knows yet if this virus will die out with the flu (in the coming weeks) until next year or not. If it does, it could be even worse next year from further mutations or just unpreparedness on our part. I read today where some doctors are urging people to wear a mask even indoors due to the incubation period being so long. You could have this for over 3 weeks and not know it. Having an extra few bottles of water around wouldn't hurt. Same for snacks or whatever so you don't have to go into a germ riddled grocery store for a while. Vitamins can help boost your immune system. So far, the virus has mostly killed people with already compromised immune systems, like me, or the elderly, but again because their immune system is compromised. Crazy times we live in.
Good to see you here. Ive been praying for you. I pray for you to have more better days than not so good days. Love you

Accepted

That’s interesting about the masks. My son and DIL are at Mayo right now, and I will text to ask if they noticed a shortage there. I’m supposed to go there myself in two weeks.

I read Psalm 91 out loud a little while ago, when I began to feel a bit fearful, and realized there really is nothing to fear. Just do what you can, and trust the Lord with the rest. He’s got us covered.

Narrow Path

We dont know how this virus will play out over the long haul. We do know this is still far less of a problem then the flu. Everybody has been desensitized to how bad each flu season is, and the numbers seldom get reported. If the numbers were reported by the media for this season alone, panic would surely follow.

I will admit Im paying closer attention, but still nowhere near the panic mode. Below is an article I read today that was written 3 weeks ago.

The novel coronavirus that’s sickening thousands globally — and at least five people in the US— is inspiring countries to close their borders and Americans to buy up surgical masks quicker than major retailers can restock them.

There’s another virus that has infected 15 million Americans across the country and killed more than 8,200 people this season alone. It’s not a new pandemic — it’s influenza.

The 2019-2020 flu season is projected to be one of the worst in a decade, according to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. At least 140,000 people have been hospitalized with complications from the flu, and that number is predicted to climb as flu activity swirls.

The flu is a constant in Americans’ lives. It’s that familiarity that makes it more dangerous to underestimate, said Dr. Margot Savoy, chair of Family and Community Medicine at Temple University’s Lewis Katz School of Medicine.

“Lumping all the viral illness we tend to catch in the winter sometimes makes us too comfortable thinking everything is ‘just a bad cold,'” she said. “We underestimate how deadly influenza really is.”

Even the low-end estimate of deaths each year is startling, Savoy said: The Centers for Disease Control predicts at least 12,000 people will die from the flu in the US every year. In the 2017-2018 flu season, as many as 61,000 people died, and 45 million were sickened.

In the 2019-2020 season so far, 15 million people in the US have gotten the flu and 8,200 people have died from it, including at least 54 children. Flu activity has been elevated for 11 weeks straight, the CDC reported, and will likely continue for the next several weeks.

Savoy, who also serves on the American Academy of Family Physician’s board of directors, said the novelty of emerging infections can overshadow the flu. People are less panicked about the flu because healthcare providers “appear to have control” over the infection.

“We fear the unknown and we crave information about new and emerging infections,” she said. “We can’t quickly tell what is truly a threat and what isn’t, so we begin to panic — often when we don’t need to.”

The flu can be fatal
Dr. Nathan Chomilo, an adjunct assistant professor of pediatrics at University of Minnesota Medical School, said that the commonness of the flu often underplays its severity, but people should take it seriously.

“Severe cases of the flu are not mild illnesses,” Chomilo said. “Getting the actual flu, you are miserable.”

The flu becomes dangerous when secondary infections emerge, the result of an already weakened immune system. Bacterial and viral infections compound the flu’s symptoms. People with chronic illnesses are also at a heightened risk for flu complications.

Those complications include pneumonia, inflammation in the heart and brain and organ failure — which, in some cases, can be fatal.

Chomilo, an internist and pediatrician for Park Nicollet Health Services, said this flu season has been one of the worst his Minnesota practice has seen since the H1N1 virus outbreak in 2009. Some of his patients, healthy adults in their 30s, have been sent to the Intensive Care Unit, relying on ventilators, due to flu complications.

The virus is always changing
Influenza is tricky because the virus changes every year. Sometimes, the dominant strain in a flu season will be more virulent than in previous years, which can impact the number of people infected and the severity of their symptoms.

Most of these changes in the virus are small and insignificant, a process called antigenic drift. That year’s flu vaccine is mostly effective in protecting patients in spite of these small changes, said Melissa Nolan, an assistant professor at the University of South Carolina’s School of Public Health.

Occasionally, the flu undergoes a rare antigenic shift, which results when a completely new strain of virus emerges that human bodies haven’t experienced before, she said.

Savoy compares it to a block party: The body thinks it knows who — or in this case, which virus — will show up, and therefore, which virus it needs to keep out. But if a virus shows up in a completely new getup, it becomes difficult for the body’s “bouncers” — that’s the immune system — to know who to look for and keep out. The stealthy virus can infiltrate easily when the body doesn’t recognize it.

This flu season, there’s no sign of antigenic shift, the most extreme change. But it’s happened before, most recently in 2009 with the H1N1 virus. It became a pandemic because people had no immunity against it, the CDC reported.

Get your flu shot, experts say
To avoid complications from the flu, Savoy, Chomilo and Nolan have the same recommendation: Get vaccinated.

It’s not easy to tell how flu vaccination rates impact the number of people infected, but Savoy said it seems that the years she struggles to get her patients vaccinated are the years when more patients end up hospitalized with the flu, even if the total number of infections doesn’t budge.

The CDC reported at least 173 million flu vaccine doses have been administered this flu season so far — that’s about 4 million more doses than the manufacturers who make the vaccines projected to provide this season.

Still, there are some who decide skipping the vaccine is worth the risk. A 2017 study found that people decline the flu vaccine because they don’t think it’s effective or they’re worried it’s unsafe, even though CDC research shows the vaccine effectively reduces the risk of flu in up to 60% of the population.

Chomilo said some of his most frustrating cases of the flu are in patients who can’t be vaccinated because of preexisting conditions or their age (children under 6 months old can’t be vaccinated).

There are two important reasons to get the flu vaccine, he said — “Protecting yourself and being a good community member.”

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/w...mains-greater-threat-than-coronavirus-in-u-s/
I can appreciate the desire to keep comparing the numbers to the seasonal flu fatality numbers in order to calm oneself or others. That was the initial response by even several posters on a prep forum I hang at. We must remember that the reported numbers are highly suspect. More importantly, we must remember that the final death toll has yet to be tallied. The current numbers don't stack up with COVID 19, but that doesn't explain away the actions by the Chinese government. I can't get over the millions, whole cities, that were quarantined in China, and now other parts of the world being locked down as well.

Governments just don't do that for the common flu.

yeshua'sbride

♥ Standing with Israel
That’s interesting about the masks. My son and DIL are at Mayo right now, and I will text to ask if they noticed a shortage there. I’m supposed to go there myself in two weeks.

I read Psalm 91 out loud a little while ago, when I began to feel a bit fearful, and realized there really is nothing to fear. Just do what you can, and trust the Lord with the rest. He’s got us covered.
I also read Psalm 91 earlier today and was comforted and encouraged by it.

Narrow Path

As a Christian and a prepper ( I don't like that term by the way), my reaction, my posts are a confluence of those two guides. I don't believe or assume every headline grabbing catastrophe is "apocalyptic" or end times related. I'm not entirely convinced that this outbreak has anything to do with the end times. It very well could, but I've been approaching it as just the long over due pandemic that experts have said will come. The more it progresses, the more I'm seeing how it could be end times related however. And if so, I say hallelujah! Come for your bride Lord!

InsuranceGuy

As a Christian and a prepper ( I don't like that term by the way), my reaction, my posts are a confluence of those two guides. I don't believe or assume every headline grabbing catastrophe is "apocalyptic" or end times related. I'm not entirely convinced that this outbreak has anything to do with the end times. It very well could, but I've been approaching it as just the long over due pandemic that experts have said will come. The more it progresses, the more I'm seeing how it could be end times related however. And if so, I say hallelujah! Come for your bride Lord!
I don't want to hijack the thread topic, but one way it could become a serious international issue is if people being dying by the tens of thousands. Maybe there would be a call for World health care instead of individual national healthcare. Probably a huge stretch to get to that point from this virus, but maybe politicians would begin discussing it.

I'm no longer a prepper, but was once. I was turned off by the Militia people I got to know. They weren't interested in Christ, or surviving something, they were interested in flat out taking their piece of the pie because they had guns and large numbers of trained men. I left the group I was part of many years back. Never once did they mention Jesus, or the end times. At first I thought it was a great idea because of safety in numbers. As time went on, I realized there are thousands of these small groups around the nation and many of them WANT an end times scenario so they can grab land, rob, thieve and do whatever their sinful hearts desire. It took me a while to understand what their true plans were, but once I did, I just disappeared from their meetings and weekend events. I still have some stuff stocked up, but I'm far from a keyboard warrior these days. In my mind, there is nothing wrong with stocking up for things. People do it for snow storms, ice storms, hurricanes and tornadoes, so doing it for a virus doesn't seem any different to me. It's always good to have at least a little extra something put aside, even if it is only cans of soup. If they do not benefit you, maybe they will your neighbor.

Andy C

Reborn to fly
I can appreciate the desire to keep comparing the numbers to the seasonal flu fatality numbers in order to calm oneself or others. That was the initial response by even several posters on a prep forum I hang at. We must remember that the reported numbers are highly suspect. More importantly, we must remember that the final death toll has yet to be tallied. The current numbers don't stack up with COVID 19, but that doesn't explain away the actions by the Chinese government. I can't get over the millions, whole cities, that were quarantined in China, and now other parts of the world being locked down as well.

Governments just don't do that for the common flu.
Im always calm. We have no way of knowing the true numbers, just plenty of guesses. When it becomes a real issue in the USA, then I will be
concerned. Until then, I will pray for all those in the hot zone areas, and pray its slowed down and stopped.

Last edited:

NCannie

Well today was an emotional roller coaster; glad I’ve got Jesus! So two separate colleges have pulled out of Florence today, NYU and Syracuse. One of the schools however, is teaching web based moving forward for few a weeks and then the students go into spring break. So, the student can choose to stay or go back to America. After break they plan to resume but who knows. Bailey’s school is an Italian based school hosting American students. Two American universities pulled their students today but the program is not shutting down and Bailey’s university did not pull the kids today. The Italian school has cancelled all travel and field trips till further notice. Speaking with her university today they said if I brought her home on my own today she is withdrawing from the program.:( She could not go back to the university till next semester. Bailey said there is no hand sanitizer and masks. Their water pressure is so poor they can’t do more than one thing at a time with water! Ha! I am waiting till Friday to see if they change their minds. If not I’m sending a care package. I have masks, hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes and most importantly Cheetos and peanut butter Please keep us in your prayers! Thank you!

LisaJoe1986

I went to Cosco today and stocked up on toilet paper, coffee, laundry detergent, and peanut butter!! My pantry otherwise is pretty well stocked. Deb and I have to have our coffee in the morning............... and, I really don't want to run out of toilet paper!!!!!!! Oh, I got one container of dry creamer for Deb's coffee, too. Just in case we can't get her regular dairy creamer at the store. Yeah, I'm a good mom.................. tee-hee.

I'm not going crazy like I did for Y2K.............. and, there's a good chance things won't get crazy........ but, I feel better now!
Great minds think alike. At first, when I showed my hubby the thread on here and told him about he warnings, he got upset and said' "This is what happens when you dive in too deep. You become afraid!" Then he watched Fox News for a bit and started looking for the best way to store water. We went out and bought a water purification filter for campers (we have a pool where we can get the water) and we also bought TP, tissues, PB, coffee and dry creamer and other various foods. Coffee is VERY important.

I also stocked up on Nyquil, cough medicine and Mucinex since this virus has cold symptoms. I have already purchased, vitamin, D and C, oregano oil capsules and colloidal silver to beef up our immune system. Unlike Y2 K where we spent too much money on stuff we would never eat, we purchased things that will get eaten, crisis or not. I feel better now too. We do still have 2 young adult children here that we would like to protect.

Jan51

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned in all the talk of preparations and health supplies to have on hand is a humidifier. When we start to feel bad that is the first thing I get out, especially good if you have a cough. Just be sure to clean it every week.

Love His Appearing

Well today was an emotional roller coaster; glad I’ve got Jesus! So two separate colleges have pulled out of Florence today, NYU and Syracuse. One of the schools however, is teaching web based moving forward for few a weeks and then the students go into spring break. So, the student can choose to stay or go back to America. After break they plan to resume but who knows. Bailey’s school is an Italian based school hosting American students. Two American universities pulled their students today but the program is not shutting down and Bailey’s university did not pull the kids today. The Italian school has cancelled all travel and field trips till further notice. Speaking with her university today they said if I brought her home on my own today she is withdrawing from the program.:( She could not go back to the university till next semester. Bailey said there is no hand sanitizer and masks. Their water pressure is so poor they can’t do more than one thing at a time with water! Ha! I am waiting till Friday to see if they change their minds. If not I’m sending a care package. I have masks, hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes and most importantly Cheetos and peanut butter Please keep us in your prayers! Thank you!
Praying, NCannie!! :pray

Love His Appearing

Great minds think alike. At first, when I showed my hubby the thread on here and told him about he warnings, he got upset and said' "This is what happens when you dive in too deep. You become afraid!" Then he watched Fox News for a bit and started looking for the best way to store water. We went out and bought a water purification filter for campers (we have a pool where we can get the water) and we also bought TP, tissues, PB, coffee and dry creamer and other various foods. Coffee is VERY important.

I also stocked up on Nyquil, cough medicine and Mucinex since this virus has cold symptoms. I have already purchased, vitamin, D and C, oregano oil capsules and colloidal silver to beef up our immune system. Unlike Y2 K where we spent too much money on stuff we would never eat, we purchased things that will get eaten, crisis or not. I feel better now too. We do still have 2 young adult children here that we would like to protect.
That same thing happened here. DH was like "Quit checking those boards. You are making your self crazy." Then he came home with a bunch of stuff from Home Depot "just in case". He was also awfully happy to pack those bleach wipes I picked up this afternoon for his flight tomorrow. I stocked up on NyQuil and Mucinex, too. Enough so that the GM had to come over and do a personal ID check even though the checker was over 21. :laugh (I got 2 of everything we might need. Hardly stocking up to make meth, but I guess it is an unusual purchase. If he looked closer, he would have seen that I also had several boxes of tissue, pepto, saltine crackers and ginger ale. Cuz Pukey McPukster is in the house.

What we need is some spring days so we can open all the windows and get some fresh air in here.

chaser

We trust you Jesus, you are the only King forever!
From information I could gather it looks like SARS was much deadlier than this Corona virus. Corona seems to spread faster but death rates are about 2 percent while SARS was approximately 10% mortality rate. And we really do not know the truth on the actual count of infected and mortality rates.

Rocky Rivera

I don't want to hijack the thread topic, but one way it could become a serious international issue is if people being dying by the tens of thousands. Maybe there would be a call for World health care instead of individual national healthcare. Probably a huge stretch to get to that point from this virus, but maybe politicians would begin discussing it.

I'm no longer a prepper, but was once. I was turned off by the Militia people I got to know. They weren't interested in Christ, or surviving something, they were interested in flat out taking their piece of the pie because they had guns and large numbers of trained men. I left the group I was part of many years back. Never once did they mention Jesus, or the end times. At first I thought it was a great idea because of safety in numbers. As time went on, I realized there are thousands of these small groups around the nation and many of them WANT an end times scenario so they can grab land, rob, thieve and do whatever their sinful hearts desire. It took me a while to understand what their true plans were, but once I did, I just disappeared from their meetings and weekend events. I still have some stuff stocked up, but I'm far from a keyboard warrior these days. In my mind, there is nothing wrong with stocking up for things. People do it for snow storms, ice storms, hurricanes and tornadoes, so doing it for a virus doesn't seem any different to me. It's always good to have at least a little extra something put aside, even if it is only cans of soup. If they do not benefit you, maybe they will your neighbor.
And perhaps they'll benefit the brethren who are trying to survive the Tribulation. Nothing like the feeling of God using what you've done even after you've graduated.