Coronavirus update

Accepted

A few years ago, I decided to add some perennials to compliment my garden produce. I planted a couple apple and plum trees. Additionally I added 3 elderberry plants for their medicinal qualities. Unfortunately, the suburban deer have defeated my fencing a few times, so they have yet to produce. In lieu of making my own syrup, I have been boosting my family’s systems with the commercial product Sambucol as an added layer of defense against COVID 19 and any other seasonal viruses
Agreed! We use Sambucol too, and take one twice a day for prevention. :jazzercise

My Lithuanian grandmother used to make elderberry cordial from her own bushes and dole it out when someone was getting a cold. People have used elderberry for a long time, apparently!

athenasius

Lots of traveling coming up and I am tucking away all this info for future use. Do you think one can get a small pack of bleach wipes through security? I know you can get baby wipes through, so I am guessing yes. But just curious...
ALL Wipes are FINE! They don't count as liquids, so I routinely pack them in my carry on stuff, usually my purse for quick access. I put my hand sanitizer gel in my TSA liquid allowance baggie, because alcohol gel counts as a liquid.

TSA agents are just FINE with wipes-- they know you are one of the frequent fliers, and sensible ones, that aren't spreading germs. They don't count baby wipes, nail polish remover wipes, makeup remover wipes or disinfectant wipes -- all of which I've had in my carry ons at various times.

Oh and have a great trip!

Last edited:

NCannie

ALL Wipes are FINE! They don't count as liquids, so I routinely pack them in my carry on stuff, usually my purse for quick access. I put my hand sanitizer gel in my TSA liquid allowance baggie, because alcohol gel counts as a liquid.

TSA agents are just FINE with wipes-- they know you are one of the frequent fliers, and sensible ones, that aren't spreading germs. They don't count baby wipes, nail polish remover wipes, makeup remover wipes or disinfectant wipes -- all of which I've had in my carry ons at various times.

Oh and have a great trip!
So I spoke with my daughter tonight and her apartment is on the same street as the hospital in Florence. She said they have set up tents outside and heard someone say ” quarantine.” She is getting fairly nervous and I’m trying to keep her calm. I spoke with the school today and they are waiting to see what International SOS says. This is an organization that tracks the students and the status of health, environment, travel, etc...If she were to be evacuated they would arrange travel, doctors, etc...Really all it takes is for one case and Florence and they could be in lock down....honestly I could hear that is the news tomorrow morning at the rate we are going. I am sending her masks and some nonperishables in the mail tomorrow. All that being said; what do you suggest I send her? Clorox wipes, sanitizer with alcohol? Thanks Athenasius!

Last edited:

Love His Appearing

So I spoke with my daughter tonight and her apartment is on the same street as the hospital in Florence. She said they have set up tents outside and heard someone say ” quarantine.” She is getting fairly nervous and I’m trying to keep her calm. I spoke with the school today and they are waiting to see what International SOS says. This is an organization that tracks the students and the status of health, environment, travel, etc...If she were to be evacuated they would arrange travel, doctors, etc...Really all it takes is for one case and Florence and they could be in lock down....honestly I could heat that is the news tomorrow morning at the rate we are going. I am sending her masks and some nonperishables in the mail tomorrow. All that being said; what do you suggest I send her? Clorox wipes, sanitizer with wipes? Thanks Athenasius!
Toilet paper. But this is not in regards to the virus and more to do with Italy in general. Two-ply is a myth over there. :) It is what my other friend's son most requested in his "care packages".

Cindy S.

So I spoke with my daughter tonight and her apartment is on the same street as the hospital in Florence. She said they have set up tents outside and heard someone say ” quarantine.” She is getting fairly nervous and I’m trying to keep her calm. I spoke with the school today and they are waiting to see what International SOS says. This is an organization that tracks the students and the status of health, environment, travel, etc...If she were to be evacuated they would arrange travel, doctors, etc...Really all it takes is for one case and Florence and they could be in lock down....honestly I could hear that is the news tomorrow morning at the rate we are going. I am sending her masks and some nonperishables in the mail tomorrow. All that being said; what do you suggest I send her? Clorox wipes, sanitizer with alcohol? Thanks Athenasius!
Add a big bottle of vitamin C. I had a friend, who's dad had a heart transplant, every time he started to get sick he would take 500 mg. of Vit. C every HOUR. I figured if it didn't kill him, I would try it. I've done it for years now, I like the chewable Vit. C.

Cindy S.

I had the same exact question last night. It sounds ominous. Could it mean that nobody will be allowed to leave the US, and nobody will be allowed to enter the US?
Drudge headline "WORLD ON LOCKDOWN"
https://apnews.com/041a70e832d06dc7f09e0f724efa1321
Desperate to stop virus’ spread, countries limit travel
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Police manned checkpoints in quarantined towns, guests were confined to their rooms in a hotel in the Canary Islands, governments issued travel warnings and more flights were suspended Tuesday as officials desperately sought to stop the seemingly inevitable spread of a new virus.

Clusters of the illness continued to balloon outside mainland China, fueling apprehension across the globe that was reflected in sagging financial markets.

The crisis pushed into areas seen as among the worst-equipped to deal with an outbreak as well as some of the world’s richest nations, including South Korea and Italy. As it proliferates, the virus is bringing a sense of urgency for local officials determined to contain it but often unsure how.

Narrow Path

I heard on FOXNEWS that US Health Officials say that if the epidemic worsens, to expect us to go on "Lockdown". What on earth does that mean?
If you live in a large metro area, it means potentially some level of sheltering in place / quarantined, unable to leave your city. It means stock up on food, water, and water filtering / sterilization provisions, cleaning supplies, medicines, toiletries.... just as I have been advocating to my family and friends for the past month. The likelihood appears to be increasing.

Last edited:

Lovin Jesus

If you live in a large metro area, it means potentially some level of sheltering in place / quarantined, unable to leave your city. It means stock up on food, water, and water filtering / sterilization provisions, cleaning supplies, medicines, toiletries.... just as I have been advocating to my family and friends for the past month. The likelihood appears to be increasing.
Doesnt sound good. I saw on TV bare shelves in Italy due to the panic people are having. Some people talk about how China isnt being upfront about everything with this virus, well I believe the US Government isnt being upfront about everything we should know either. The President says "everything is very well under control" Im not sure I believe that.

Narrow Path

Why would medical quarantine mean no water? That part confuses me. We have well water though I do have some in storage in case of power outages
For the time being, utility services in China seem to still be operational and unaffected. But potentially critical infrastructure like water service could cease due to people too sick, or simply not reporting for work. If we went on lockdown, our utility services might not be available at some point. Clean water is the number 1 prep. Having the ability to collect, filter / sterilize it is crucial. If you’re on your own well and the power goes off to run the pump, you’re not getting water.