Coronavirus update

Lovin Jesus

132 cases now reported in Italy. Largest number infected outside of China. Seems like this is nowhere near being contained. They say it has somewhat slowed down in China but it is just spreading elsewhere in the world. :(

Lord, I pray for your shield of protection over all of your children who love you throughout the world from every source of any potential harm. As your day draws near Lord I pray that every person with a desire to know you may find you that they may have salvation through your Son Jesus

Last edited:

UmbrellaGirl

We were baby Christians when the Y2K stuff started rolling around. I had taken a vegetarian cooking class to learn how to cook more vegetable dishes and the teachers were Seventh Day Adventists. I was too much of a baby to have any red flags about that and knew them only to be Christians. This couple was majorly prepping for Y2K and believed it was the end times. They got us scared and we did do the buckets of food at a cost that was difficult on our budget. We did eat some of the food, but much of it went to waste.

The sad part is that I talked to my sisters about the possibility of something happening and none of them believed it. Now I know better and see real danger for them and their families because they are not believers. In some ways, I think the Y2K thing ruined my witness to them. They see the signs of Christ's return that I have warned them about as just another one of Lisa's crazy things. As I look back, I recognize Y2K as awakening me to the foolishness of trusting in man and governments to keep everything going. It helped me to understand a reliance on God was the most important precaution I could take for any crisis. I am just sad that my sisters don't listen to me now.

One day, it will be for real. God's patience will wear out and His day will be upon man. I suppose I will be proven to be a true witness at that time. It does not give me any comfort. I would rather share Heaven with the ones I am warning.
The Y2K freakout, which amounted to absolutely nothing, made warnings about the Rapture / Tribulation sound even more ridiculous to the lost.

UmbrellaGirl

All Ive heard is that children are less likely to be infected. Probably because children tend to have stronger immune systems. It affects most elderly and chronically sick people. The majority of deaths have been among the elderly.
Just like with the flu, it’s mainly the elderly who die from it. A healthy young or middle aged person can fight it off, as sort of a really bad cold.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
It's my opinion, given this world we live in where people travel to different places around the globe 24/7, that mankind cannot contain the Corona Virus or any other new virus. We can slow down the spread, maybe, but that will just extend the pain. Instead of getting it over with, the virus will creep around for years and years until a large number of people have come down with it and recovered or died. At some point enough people will have contracted the virus and acquired an immunity to it that it'll then become more rare. I guess there is hope that a vaccine can be developed before the virus affects too many people. Best wishes with that, I hope there is success in that regard.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I think you're right Tall Timbers. The fact that China sat on this for a month and a half before alerting the world makes me suspect the virus may have already been here given the high traveling back and forth between our two countries.

We can be praying for God's grace and help and also prayerfully research things that will help boost the immune system.

God has been so gracious in showing me things that have helped me tremendously. He can do the same for His other children.

My prayer has been for God's healing for those (like in China) who do not have access to good care or immune system boosting items for His supernatural healing for these people who are fighting this new virus (and, that many would accept Christ as Savior).

As has been said before, good hygiene, eating healthy, trusting in the Lord for His help.... whether in direction of supplements, where to shop, whether to go to the doctor, etc. is good.

On a positive note, I've heard that a church in my area has really been full as of late. It is thought that this virus among other news is causing people to consider God. I hope this is the case all around. :nod

Last edited:

Rocky Rivera

The Y2K freakout, which amounted to absolutely nothing, made warnings about the Rapture / Tribulation sound even more ridiculous to the lost.
Charlatans such as Harold Camping that heavily advertised and widely publicized supposed dates for the Rapture didn't help the cause, either. It gave tremendous occasion for God's enemies to blaspheme Him.

madcat

Last edited:

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
https://www.sciencealert.com/study-shows-just-how-long-coronaviruses-can-stick-around-on-a-surface

According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC) it's "currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes."

In fact, not a lot is known about the COVID-19 virus at all, so researchers are turning to similar coronaviruses, like SARS and MERS, for answers.

Reviewing the literature on all available human and veterinary viruses within this family, encompassing 22 studies, researchers have found that the human pathogens can persist on surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days. (To put that in perspective, the measles virus can live on contaminated surfaces for up to two hours.)

Granted, that's the upper end of a coronavirus lifespan, but on average, researchers say this family of viruses can survive between four and five days on various materials like aluminium, wood, paper, plastic and glass.

Some of the veterinary coronaviruses - the ones that can only infect animals - could even persist for longer than 28 days.

"Low temperature and high air humidity further increase their lifespan," says physician Günter Kampf at the Greifswald University Hospital.

To reduce the spread of coronaviruses in general, the authors of the new study suggest hospitals carefully disinfect surfaces with various solutions made from sodium hypochlorite, hydrogen peroxide, or ethanol.

In their study, they found these particular WHO recommendations to be "very effective" against SARS and MERS.

The results were originally bound for a future textbook, but under the circumstances, the authors felt it was best to publish their findings in advance. They think the results might also extend to the COVID-19 virus.

"Different coronaviruses were analysed, and the results were all similar," says virologist Eike Steinmann form Leibniz University Hanover.

None of the viruses were 2019-nCoV however, and the team indicated they don't have data on whether hands can become contaminated with coronavirus after patient contact or after touching contaminated surfaces.

While MERS doesn't transfer as easily from person to person as other coronaviruses, SARS spreads rather efficiently whenever an infected person sneezes or coughs. If the mucous lands on a surface and is touched by a person later, it can then contaminate them, even if the contact occurs days after the initial exposure.

Given how threatening this could make 2019-nCoV, washing our hands often and making sure to disinfect public areas seems like a harmless price to pay.

"In hospitals, these can be door handles, for example, but also call buttons, bedside tables, bed frames and other objects in the direct vicinity of patients, which are often made of metal or plastic," explains Kampf.

The study was published in the Journal of Hospital Infection.

In addition to spraying door handles, etc, having a spray bottle in the car (for cold places, rubbing alcohol to keep from freezing) to spray bottoms of shoes and car floor, before starting the car might be good so that any forced car air doesn't spread the virus.

Given how long this virus sticks around (vs other ones, generally from 2-48 hours from what I've been reading, depending on the virus) I'm beginning to see why this one is particularly virulent.

It might be a good idea to shed clothing for a fresh outfit once home and wash the old right away, or just start a rotation. We sit and bump into all sorts of surfaces which very week could have been contaminated by another's sneeze, touch or who knows as they still dont know exactly how this bug works to get ro people.

Last edited:

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace

athenasius

To reduce the spread of coronaviruses in general, the authors of the new study suggest hospitals carefully disinfect surfaces with various solutions made from sodium hypochlorite, hydrogen peroxide, or ethanol.

In their study, they found these particular WHO recommendations to be "very effective" against SARS and MERS.

The results were originally bound for a future textbook, but under the circumstances, the authors felt it was best to publish their findings in advance. They think the results might also extend to the COVID-19 virus.

"Different coronaviruses were analysed, and the results were all similar," says virologist Eike Steinmann form Leibniz University Hanover.
Thank you and appreciate that info! That helps actually because not all viruses are susceptible to alcohol gel (ethanol).

The 3 mentioned are:
Sodium Hypochlorite which is CHLORINE BLEACH or Clorox for a well known brand. This is a liquid bleach that is cheap and easy to use although it can eat holes in your clothes if you splash it about, and it's hard on the lungs if you inhale a spray diluted solution of bleach in water. But mixed into a dilute solution with water, you can easily clean surfaces, disinfect laundry, and even put your fruits and veggies thru a dilute bath in the kitchen sink to remove pathogens. Rinse well with water.

Hydrogen Peroxide, as the name suggest. This is peroxide. You can put it in your wash via OXI Clean or powder non chlorine bleach. That will form a mild peroxide solution in your washing machine. That won't eat holes in the clothes or create bleach spots, but if used with HOT water, will activate the peroxide component and MIGHT help disinfect the laundry.

Ethanol! YIPPPEEE YAY that means that ALCOHOL HAND SANITIZERS are likely EFFECTIVE. HAPPY DANCE HERE! :bouncies:cheer:cheer:cheer:dance:waltz

All this info makes the RN in me feel like breaking out into a hymn of thanksgiving and praise to God because what that means, is that we have 3 very cheap, easy to use disinfectants that will perform the job.