Concerns over Candy Austin

J2

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this...so please let me know if it needs to be moved elsewhere . I hesitated a few times previously in reaching out about this, but does anyone else feel that there is something “unsettling” about the articles posted in RR by Candy Austin?

Matthew6:33

I skimmed through a couple of her articles. She seems a bit legalistic and conservative in my opinion from what I read. This can have its place however (I tend to lean toward this), not saying its right or wrong, I personally understand this struggle and try to keep from becoming dogmatic. Can you reference anything (an article) specifically? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

J2

I skimmed through a couple of her articles. She seems a bit legalistic and conservative in my opinion from what I read. This can have its place however (I tend to lean toward this), not saying its right or wrong, I personally understand this struggle and try to keep from becoming dogmatic. Can you reference anything (an article) specifically? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.
I suppose that it’s the constant negative references to her adult children in most of her articles. It just doesn’t feel...like it’s coming from a genuinely caring and good place. I dunno, maybe it’s just me that feels there is something off and unsettling about them. That’s why I wanted to ask, to see if I was totally off base.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I suppose that it’s the constant negative references to her adult children in most of her articles. It just doesn’t feel...like it’s coming from a genuinely caring and good place. I dunno, maybe it’s just me that feels there is something off and unsettling about them. That’s why I wanted to ask, to see if I was totally off base.
I've not seen anything she's written but I would say that unless she writes under a pseudonym, it is wrong of her to say negative things about her children in a public forum. Doing so would lead me to question her judgment and probably to pass over anything she writes.

athenasius

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this...so please let me know if it needs to be moved elsewhere . I hesitated a few times previously in reaching out about this, but does anyone else feel that there is something “unsettling” about the articles posted in RR by Candy Austin?
JL, you are NOT alone in this. I read the first couple she posted and thought they were inappropriate. A lot of hurt and anger towards her adult children bleeding thru. I thought it's just coming from a need to vent and be heard and yet trying to make lemons out of lemonade-- finding the lessons from God in the pain she felt, but I simply avoid her writing since, because of that. I wondered at the time if the RR site reads what goes up, and I suppose they do, most everything else I read on there is fine.

J2

JL, you are NOT alone in this. I read the first couple she posted and thought they were inappropriate. A lot of hurt and anger towards her adult children bleeding thru. I thought it's just coming from a need to vent and be heard and yet trying to make lemons out of lemonade-- finding the lessons from God in the pain she felt, but I simply avoid her writing since, because of that. I wondered at the time if the RR site reads what goes up, and I suppose they do, most everything else I read on there is fine.
It makes me feel so much better knowing that you have sensed that as well and that my radar isn’t way off right now. I had to stop reading anything with her name next to it, could not stomach the yucky feelings I would get anymore. I think that I was surprised that suddenly she appeared out of nowhere with regular posts that were all of such an unusual (compared to everyone else’s) tone and feel.

athenasius

It makes me feel so much better knowing that you have sensed that as well and that my radar isn’t way off right now. I had to stop reading anything with her name next to it, could not stomach the yucky feelings I would get anymore. I think that I was surprised that suddenly she appeared out of nowhere with regular posts that were all of such an unusual (compared to everyone else’s) tone and feel.
No your radar is working fine. Sometimes people with very real good intentions who want to bless others, may speak out of their flesh (I certainly have and I'm sorry if it's led others astray-- I get irritated or I'm plain flat out wrong-- it's human) and it's a VERY important skill to learn to discern.

OFF Candy Austin and onto Discernment in general.

Discernment has gotten a bad rap (mostly from wolves who haven't appreciated being put thru the test of Scripture-- but some go into discernment with a real axe to grind too) and it's gotten harder to filter the good from the bad.

I've noticed lately that discernment sites I used to rely on in the 95-2003 period when I was coming out of a very bad church situation are missing in action or have gone off the rails into error themselves (Hank Hanegraaf being a good example, and Jacob Prasch for another, Tricia Tillin of Cross Word as well).

When I was looking up my resources to counter that Witness Lee stuff another member had asked about, I noticed it was getting pretty thin on the ground. Another site I used to rely on, the gentleman died, some are just stretched too thin to cover everything and others seem to have just gone quiet. I'd been aware of it for some time actually-- about a year or two back I was looking stuff up for a friend (not here on RF) and I couldn't find a thing, even though I REMEMBER THE ARTICLES!!! Somebody had been scrubbing the internet of negative references and critiques of some wolf or other.

And I learnt in looking at that Witness Lee stuff-- these cults are using the law to attack their critics-- like Scientology does. And it works.

Satan hates discernment in Christians, because people who have learned to be Bereans and check up Scripture to see if these things are so, tend to tell the flock, and make it hard for him to push the Laodicean stuff down everyone's throat.

LONG way of saying if you feel a gentle nudge to look something up, check your impressions against the Bible and also with others you trust. Because sometimes that feeling is a way that God is nudging you to look further, check deeper, go beyond a surface acceptance. Too often wolves get a free pass waltzing right into church, spreading poison without anyone stopping them, because nobody sees it right away and they are REALLLLLY GOOOD at blending in like a sheep.

I think discernment is like being a good sheep dog. You are scanning the horizon looking for threats and when your discernment thingummy goes off like a siren in your ear you look carefully then point and bark a lot.

(I've been watching my dd's dog Puff guard their sheep and their chickens-- she is a Great Pyrenees and a SUPERB watch dog, as well as being gentle and friendly to the family including people like me and George who don't come by all that often. But she will try to kill predators like the coyotes, and she keeps the bears off the property, and chases the hawks, ravens and other predator birds)

Last edited:

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Yep i have the same spidy senses about some of the guests on the Prophecy watchers show.

Now Gary Stearman is a very astute pastor and teacher but some of the guests he has makes me wonder if they have been smoking drugs with some of the stuff they sprout .

The only beef that i have with Gary is that he seems to encourage them to discuss about some of the stuff that his guests are espousing (P.s I'm a bit lazy and not sure whether espousing was the right word to use their, i meant what his guests are expressing as their views ahahah)

athenasius

Yep i have the same spidy senses about some of the guests on the Prophecy watchers show.

Now Gary Stearman is a very astute pastor and teacher but some of the guests he has makes me wonder if they have been smoking drugs with some of the stuff they sprout .

The only beef that i have with Gary is that he seems to encourage them to discuss about some of the stuff that his guests are espousing (P.s I'm a bit lazy and not sure whether espousing was the right word to use their, i meant what his guests are expressing as their views ahahah)
YUP!!! I'm pretty picky about who I watch. I might listen for 5 but once I know where they are coming from, if it isn't balanced or I just don't feel that it's going in a good direction, I'm outta there. Stearmans sermons or teaching bits are great and I will always stop and watch Andy Woods, Ron Rhodes, Mark Hitchcock or Ken Johnson when they appear as guests, but others I give a very wide berth to.

I keep in mind that Stearman is selling books, and those interviews are usually tied to a book. It's part of the book seller's circuit, Christian style.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
YUP!!! I'm pretty picky about who I watch. I might listen for 5 but once I know where they are coming from, if it isn't balanced or I just don't feel that it's going in a good direction, I'm outta there. Stearmans sermons or teaching bits are great and I will always stop and watch Andy Woods, Ron Rhodes, Mark Hitchcock or Ken Johnson when they appear as guests, but others I give a very wide berth to.

I keep in mind that Stearman is selling books, and those interviews are usually tied to a book. It's part of the book seller's circuit, Christian style.
On that note you've inspired me to list my favourite guests on his interviews :

1 )Billy Crone - Very knowledgable with occult stuff and apostasy and is entertaining in his enthusiasm and how fast he talks.Poor Gary just looks like he has been hit with a tornado with the bombardment of information but amazed at the same time.

2) Bill Salus - HIs knowledge on the topic of the middle eastern wars frmo Ezekiel and Psalm 83 ( he has slowly swung my viewpoint that it may be an actual war prophecy rather than an impeccable prayer)

3) Ken Johnson - I enjoy the knowledge or interpretations that he brings about the original deadsea scrolls

4) L A MArzulli - Brings an interesting take or viewpoint on the Nephilim and the possible coming deceptions that will happen in the end times

5) Dr DAvid Reagan/Jack Langford ) - These guys get my equal vote in the fact that the passion that they teach and defend the pre tribulation rapture viewpoint