Concepts of God's "Divine Council" and the Trinity

Anastacia

I've got some questions regarding a few concepts purported by a Christian author. This author was recommended to me and proposes many ideas that I've never heard of. I've been bothered by some aspects and would love any input.

Regarding God having a "divine council", as based on 1 Kings 22... okay, it makes sense that He is surrounded with all the heavenly host He has created. However, the author proposes that in all the parts of the Bible where the Lord says "Let us" [make man in our image, and go down to Babel to see, etc]-- that the "us" He is talking to is His divine council.
...I've always learned that the "us" is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That is how we begin to glimpse and understand the Trinity.
If God is talking to His heavenly host (and not Jesus and the Holy Spirit), that undermines some of the evidence for the Trinity. And it means that God made us in the image of some broader "host" that I cannot quite understand (unless I study and get to know who this council is). Ugh, I'm having a very hard time explaining this!!

I'm left with so many questions about concepts this author speculates on (all based on a few scriptures primarily Psalm 82, Deut 32:8-9, as well as the Book of Enoch). I know it is impossible for us to comprehend God, the order of everything, and His complete creation... but, I guess I don't like the idea that God has some heavenly host which He made us in the image of... or, I thought it was just humans who were made in His image... or maybe I just don't like my beliefs challenged because I always saw the Trinity in those verses. Also, I just don't know that we should give too much weight to His other created beings, whether they are His heavenly host, divine council, angels, or messengers.

I'm not doubting the Trinity now, but there's just so much this author suggests that I haven't quite wrapped my mind around, and maybe I dont really need to this side of eternity. However, the people who recommended this book will likely think I'm being unfairly critical and unwilling to learn since this guy is their trusted and favorite author. So...

I'm hoping someone here has seriously studied the "let us" verses to know WHO God is talking to-- the godhead or His "Divine Council"?

Would the author that you are referring to be Brian Godawa by any chance? This sounds a lot like his book "Psalm 82: The Divine Council of the Gods, the Judgment of the Watchers and the Inheritance of the Nations."

Anastacia

Actually, no. Is it okay to say the author's name? If not, please delete!
It's Michael Heiser.

The title of the book you're referring to sounds exactly like the main topic of Heiser's book.

RonJohnSilver

I just last week finished Godawa's 'Psalm 82 Divine Council' book on kindle. I've also read Michael Heiser's books. Godawa makes's some interesting and compelling points, many correct I think, but in his Psalm 82 book, he made a single reference to his belief that the end time events occurred in AD 70, which puts him in the preterist camp. That alone doesn't make him an unbeliever or someone to avoid but, in my mind, it taints all he has written. Now I'm praying for insight and discernment because I don't want to throw out his legitimate thoughts because of one error, although a significant one. So, my advice is to use discernment and don't quickly rush to follow the path of one author.

RonJohnSilver

I've got some questions regarding a few concepts purported by a Christian author. This author was recommended to me and proposes many ideas that I've never heard of. I've been bothered by some aspects and would love any input.

Regarding God having a "divine council", as based on 1 Kings 22... okay, it makes sense that He is surrounded with all the heavenly host He has created. However, the author proposes that in all the parts of the Bible where the Lord says "Let us" [make man in our image, and go down to Babel to see, etc]-- that the "us" He is talking to is His divine council.
...I've always learned that the "us" is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That is how we begin to glimpse and understand the Trinity.
If God is talking to His heavenly host (and not Jesus and the Holy Spirit), that undermines some of the evidence for the Trinity. And it means that God made us in the image of some broader "host" that I cannot quite understand (unless I study and get to know who this council is). Ugh, I'm having a very hard time explaining this!!

I'm left with so many questions about concepts this author speculates on (all based on a few scriptures primarily Psalm 82, Deut 32:8-9, as well as the Book of Enoch). I know it is impossible for us to comprehend God, the order of everything, and His complete creation... but, I guess I don't like the idea that God has some heavenly host which He made us in the image of... or, I thought it was just humans who were made in His image... or maybe I just don't like my beliefs challenged because I always saw the Trinity in those verses. Also, I just don't know that we should give too much weight to His other created beings, whether they are His heavenly host, divine council, angels, or messengers.

I'm not doubting the Trinity now, but there's just so much this author suggests that I haven't quite wrapped my mind around, and maybe I dont really need to this side of eternity. However, the people who recommended this book will likely think I'm being unfairly critical and unwilling to learn since this guy is their trusted and favorite author. So...

I'm hoping someone here has seriously studied the "let us" verses to know WHO God is talking to-- the godhead or His "Divine Council"?

Having read both authors, and written more below, I think there is a divine council and the passages that he references in Psalms and 1 Kings refer to that. The Genesis exchange of 'Let us create man in our image' I think refers to the trinity. As another author has said, It's context, context, context.

Back