Communicating God

Abed_nego2

John 14:9, “Jesus answered, “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

A fifth-grade teacher in a Christian school asked her class to look at TV commercials and see if they could use them in some way to communicate ideas concerning God. Here are some of the results:

BAYER ASPIRIN – He works miracles.
COKE – He’s the real thing.
HALLMARK CARDS – He cares enough to send His very best.
TIDE – He gets the stains out that others leave behind.
SCOTCH TAPE – You can’t see him, but you know He’s there.
ALLSTATE – You’re in good hands with him.
DIAL SOAP – Aren’t you glad you have Him. Don’t you wish everybody did?

Closing thoughts:

The fifth-grade children came up with excellent ways to communicate ideas concerning God. I want to close this devotional on a more serious note. A Christian businessman, in an attempt to express the inexpressible, kept this motto on his desk: “How great must be the God we need! How much greater is our God than our greatest need!” John Wesley captured that same truth in a different way. “Give me a worm that can understand a man,” he wrote, “and I will give you a man who can understand God” And in Psalm 145:3, David said of God, “His greatness is unsearchable.”

My beloved, in trying to grasp the mind-baffling nature of our Creator and Sustainer, the best we can do is use comparisons. He is like a faithful shepherd, a wise and just king, a loving parent, a trustworthy friend. All these analogies give us a glimpse of God’s greatness, but they are wholly inadequate to comprehend Him fully. That is why it is so difficult to understand how we may know the Creator at all. Yet, that is the glorious message of the gospel. Our infinite God has revealed Himself to us in His incarnate Son Jesus Christ. In the Gospels we read with awe and gratitude that the Creator became our Savior. Jesus said, “He who has seen Me has seen the Father” (John 14:9). Thus, when we look to Jesus Christ and listen to what He has said, we can know the unknowable.

Jesus said, “The Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost” (Luke 19:10). It was on the cross that this happened, and it happened in a way that brought resolution to the deepest needs of our hearts. The perfect balance of mercy and truth was resoled on the cross. In divine mercy, the Son of God took our place. By the sacrifice of His life for ours, He rescued us from the truth of who we are and the judgment we deserve. It is on the cross that we truly see “the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ” (2 Corinthians 4:6). Perfect love balanced by perfect justice. Perfect truth balanced by perfect grace. It is the ultimate surprise and gift that all of us desperately need. The question you must ask yourself is: Have you accepted the gift of salvation that Jesus Christ provided, by His shed blood, and death on the Cross at Calvary? If not, I would urge you to accepted Him as your Savior today!

If you’re looking for God, you’ll find Him in Jesus Christ.