Comments slam Bill Salus for still insinuating Psalm 83 war is next

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
With all due respect, I think matters because a view like this can absolutely mislead several and cause as previous posts show, for people to misinterpret the times and how close we truly are. If you are expecting a Psalm 83 war, there isn't one coming - as it already came (if indeed it is a prophecy and not a prayer). If the Ezekiel 38 war happens after the rapture as the most accurate view about this war defends, then the hour is close at hand.

Have you ever considered that this Jack Kelley you speak so highly of could be wrong? We know Salus started the whole thing and managed to convince many the middle east was headed this direction when IT IS CLEARLY NOT.

The main PURPOSE for Psalm 83 was to destroy Israel as a nation, so the name shall be remembered no more. THIS WAS IN 1948. They tried again in 1967, and 1973. FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.

The people such as Salus and other defenders of this bogus "prophecy" can't seem to explain the current geopolitical scene and why it is heading towards Ezekiel 38.

In order for a Psalm 83 to happen we would have to -

1. Make Saudi Arabia and UAE hostile towards Israel
2. Remove the Jordan peace treaty
3. Remove the Egypt peace treaty
4. Put Lebanon back together again
5. Remove the Abraham Accords
6. Put Libya back together
7. Put Yemen back together
8. Put Syria back together
9. Make Turkey non-hostile towards Israel
10. Make Iran non-hostile towards Israel
11. Remove the Iraqi democracy
12. Make the PLO relevant again
13. Remove the EastMed Pipe Deal

How many of these 13 things does anyone believe can be fulfilled in today's geopolitical scene? Answer none.

Ezekiel 38 isn't happening tomorrow, but it is lining up. When Saudi Arabia signs the normalization agreement with Israel the chances of Psalm 83 are non-existent.
Your points are very helpful.

Jeff K

What do you think will happen with the next level of countries expected to sign peace treaties with Israel if Biden wins the presidency and pulls all support for Israel? Would all those who signed recent treaties keep them under a Biden presidency with no support of Israel?

I think it's pretty difficult to be dogmatic about God's plan for Israel and her neighbors.

I don't follow Bill Salas or read his books. I do believe God has a way of pulling things together in ways that we never thought would happen. These are exciting times to be alive and there is much work to be done until the Lord comes. It all gives us reason to talk about salvation through Jesus Christ - Psalm 83 war or no war.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
With all due respect, I think matters because a view like this can absolutely mislead several and cause as previous posts show, for people to misinterpret the times and how close we truly are. If you are expecting a Psalm 83 war, there isn't one coming - as it already came (if indeed it is a prophecy and not a prayer). If the Ezekiel 38 war happens after the rapture as the most accurate view about this war defends, then the hour is close at hand.

Have you ever considered that this Jack Kelley you speak so highly of could be wrong? We know Salus started the whole thing and managed to convince many the middle east was headed this direction when IT IS CLEARLY NOT.

The main PURPOSE for Psalm 83 was to destroy Israel as a nation, so the name shall be remembered no more. THIS WAS IN 1948. They tried again in 1967, and 1973. FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.

The people such as Salus and other defenders of this bogus "prophecy" can't seem to explain the current geopolitical scene and why it is heading towards Ezekiel 38.

How many of these 13 things does anyone believe can be fulfilled in today's geopolitical scene? Answer none.

Ezekiel 38 isn't happening tomorrow, but it is lining up. When Saudi Arabia signs the normalization agreement with Israel the chances of Psalm 83 are non-existent.
Right on friend.

Endangered

Gog/Magog requires Israel to be living in peace without walls. To me it makes sense that Psalms 83 is about some kind of conflict that eliminates all the militant armed Islamists
surrounding Israel. Also the list of countries in Gog/Magog does not include any of the countries that surround Israel.
Is Psalms 83 really a war? It makes sense to me that it is. Does this conflict break out before the Rapture? I dont have a clue.

Uturn9319

Gog/Magog requires Israel to be living in peace without walls. To me it makes sense that Psalms 83 is about some kind of conflict that eliminates all the militant armed Islamists
surrounding Israel. Also the list of countries in Gog/Magog does not include any of the countries that surround Israel.
Is Psalms 83 really a war? It makes sense to me that it is. Does this conflict break out before the Rapture? I dont have a clue.
Many hold this position about Israel needing to be dwelling safely without bars or gates or walls etc. (38:11) but (38:20) would contradict this.
I've been doing some extensive research and studying on this and this appears to be a matter of the translation.

<fixed meant to type 38:20 not 39:20>

Last edited:

daygo

Many hold this position about Israel needing to be dwelling safely without bars or gates or walls etc. (38:11) but (39:20) would contradict this.
I've been doing some extensive research and studying on this and this appears to be a matter of the translation.
Can I ask how 39, 20,, contradicts 38, 11.

daygo

If 38 v 11 is figuratively, 38 v 20 can be literal and happen during the war then God will make himself known among the nation's and know he is God, that could mean the peace mentioned would be something akin to this Abraham accord or a variation of it.

Last edited:

Uturn9319

If 38 v 11 is figuratively, 38 v 20 can be literal and happen during the war then God will make himself known among the nation's and know he is God, that could mean the peace mentioned would be something akin to this Abraham accord or a variation of it.
Exactly - this is the direction I was leaning towards as well. Which is why it demands much study because it appears that already we're dealing with a mistranslation at 39:2 (about leaving a sixth of the forces - this is Old KJV and in no other translation I know of).

sawas

Many hold this position about Israel needing to be dwelling safely without bars or gates or walls etc. (38:11) but (39:20) would contradict this.
I've been doing some extensive research and studying on this and this appears to be a matter of the translation of the word in Hebrew - "betach".
I read an excellent .pdf here by Andy Walton https://weeklyworldwatch.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/israelconfidence.pdf
I suggest everyone read this. I'll be providing some information on this soon.

Thanks for the above link, which I found to be an interesting and useful discourse. Unfortunately, it is rather far from providing the sort of definitive proof that you seem to imagine that it offers. I'd put it about on par with your unreserved assertions that Israel's prior victories (in it's modern day wars) represent a "partial" fulfillment of a Psalm 83 prophesy (assuming that it is a prophesy, which you seem also to deny).

For one thing, Hezbollah and Hamas certainly seem as ardent as ever in their pursuit of Israel's destruction, notwithstanding the various territorial disputes that rage around them. Certainly, none of Israel's modern day wars have led to the sort of definitive results that would appear to be described in Psalm 83 (prophesy or not), notably in verse 17.

Psalm 83: 12-18 - 12 Who said, Let us take to ourselves the houses of God in possession. 13 O my God, make them like a wheel; as the stubble before the wind. 14 As the fire burneth a wood, and as the flame setteth the mountains on fire; 15 So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm. 16 Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O Lord. 17 Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish: 18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth.

Far from defending Salus carte blanche (I'm not), I'm rather inclined to take on his (or anyone else's) exegesis directly. Rather than lob unsupported assertions about their character and motivations (which you've done with great abandon), I'd rather critique his analysis, as with you or anyone else.

In this regard, the closest you've gotten (here) to providing meat for some kind of analysis is in your list of 13 items from post #9 (as cited at the bottom here). While grateful for this inclusion, in my view, the problems with the list only begins with: a) only some of the items have a possible direct bearing on the (presumed) parties named in Psalm 83, b) that many of the cited (presumptively "inconceivable") preconditions were quite recently threatened as a response to Israel looking to assert it's sovereignty claims in the West Bank, and c) much of the remaining items only have a possible bearing on the manner in which the events of Ezekiel 38 might play out. Emphasis on "might".

But, here's where I, unfortunately, feel the need to get a bit more serious and offer a bit of heartfelt advice.

I might assert (as easily as you've done here) that any near-term expectations for the events of Ezekiel 38 were not merely unlikely, but clear evidence of spiritual deception (and probable stupidity) since Russia and Turkey are directly/indirectly engaged in conflicts in (at least) three different theaters at the moment. Puleeze. As they say in football, "the backfield is in motion", meaning: there are lots of players moving around, some of which might give us clues about the upcoming play, but then sometimes the quarterback calls "an audible" just before the snap.

Now, I surely get the Occam's Razor bit and (like you) I think it's very useful to keep close watch on the key players. But, pretending that one knows the particulars of these prophetic events with the sort of certainty and clarity you've expressed here is a bit over the top to be useful. I honestly suggest you try using phrases like "based on what I'm seeing in the news and my interpretation of X or Y scripture, I think that it's highly/moderately/somewhat likely to play out like this." And, isn't that actually closer to the truth? (If it weren't, I'd have to imagine even bigger problems at hand.)

Beyond that, I really don't get the personal ad hominem attacks on someone like Salus. If you have actual evidence of misconduct or other impropriety, by all means, present it. But, the manner of discourse that I've witnessed here is - in my opinion - neither helpful nor appealing in the least. It won't convince me of anything, except (maybe) not to play at all. Piling on here with cherry-picked acerbic responses from a YouTube video comments section is seriously off-putting. Who cares what a bunch of idiotic YouTube commenters think, really. Not me.

And, btw, there was a comment from that video that you surely skipped over, but could prove to be a useful guide for you down the road: "I don’t understand how Bill is getting so much hate in the comment section. I get it, a lot of people might not agree with him on his view on Psalm 83. I don’t view it as a upcoming prophecy either. I think Ezekiel 38 is next."

Anyway, that's my two cents; hopefully taken in the spirit offered, from one who's stepped over this particular line a time or two myself.

Uturn9319

Thanks for the above link, which I found to be an interesting and useful discourse. Unfortunately, it is rather far from providing the sort of definitive proof that you seem to imagine that it offers. I'd put it about on par with your unreserved assertions that Israel's prior victories (in it's modern day wars) represent a "partial" fulfillment of a Psalm 83 prophesy (assuming that it is a prophesy, which you seem also to deny).

For one thing, Hezbollah and Hamas certainly seem as ardent as ever in their pursuit of Israel's destruction, notwithstanding the various territorial disputes that rage around them. Certainly, none of Israel's modern day wars have led to the sort of definitive results that would appear to be described in Psalm 83 (prophesy or not), notably in verse 17.

Psalm 83: 12-18 - 12 Who said, Let us take to ourselves the houses of God in possession. 13 O my God, make them like a wheel; as the stubble before the wind. 14 As the fire burneth a wood, and as the flame setteth the mountains on fire; 15 So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm. 16 Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O Lord. 17 Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish: 18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth.

Far from defending Salus carte blanche (I'm not), I'm rather inclined to take on his (or anyone else's) exegesis directly. Rather than lob unsupported assertions about their character and motivations (which you've done with great abandon), I'd rather critique his analysis, as with you or anyone else.

In this regard, the closest you've gotten (here) to providing meat for some kind of analysis is in your list of 13 items from post #9 (as cited at the bottom here). While grateful for this inclusion, in my view, the problems with the list only begins with: a) only some of the items have a possible direct bearing on the (presumed) parties named in Psalm 83, b) that many of the cited (presumptively "inconceivable") preconditions were quite recently threatened as a response to Israel looking to assert it's sovereignty claims in the West Bank, and c) much of the remaining items only have a possible bearing on the manner in which the events of Ezekiel 38 might play out. Emphasis on "might".

But, here's where I, unfortunately, feel the need to get a bit more serious and offer a bit of heartfelt advice.

I might assert (as easily as you've done here) that any near-term expectations for the events of Ezekiel 38 were not merely unlikely, but clear evidence of spiritual deception (and probable stupidity) since Russia and Turkey are directly/indirectly engaged in conflicts in (at least) three different theaters at the moment. Puleeze. As they say in football, "the backfield is in motion", meaning: there are lots of players moving around, some of which might give us clues about the upcoming play, but then sometimes the quarterback calls "an audible" just before the snap.

Now, I surely get the Occam's Razor bit and (like you) I think it's very useful to keep close watch on the key players. But, pretending that one knows the particulars of these prophetic events with the sort of certainty and clarity you've expressed here is a bit over the top to be useful. I honestly suggest you try using phrases like "based on what I'm seeing in the news and my interpretation of X or Y scripture, I think that it's highly/moderately/somewhat likely to play out like this." And, isn't that actually closer to the truth? (If it weren't, I'd have to imagine even bigger problems at hand.)

Beyond that, I really don't get the personal ad hominem attacks on someone like Salus. If you have actual evidence of misconduct or other impropriety, by all means, present it. But, the manner of discourse that I've witnessed here is - in my opinion - neither helpful nor appealing in the least. It won't convince me of anything, except (maybe) not to play at all. Piling on here with cherry-picked acerbic responses from a YouTube video comments section is seriously off-putting. Who cares what a bunch of idiotic YouTube commenters think, really. Not me.

And, btw, there was a comment from that video that you surely skipped over, but could prove to be a useful guide for you down the road: "I don’t understand how Bill is getting so much hate in the comment section. I get it, a lot of people might not agree with him on his view on Psalm 83. I don’t view it as a upcoming prophecy either. I think Ezekiel 38 is next."

Anyway, that's my two cents; hopefully taken in the spirit offered, from one who's stepped over this particular line a time or two myself.
Hello Sawas, and thanks for your comment.

You must have caught the pdf file when I first posted the link, because I removed the link about one minute after I posted it. I didn't want someone else's research to determine how I see things. It makes a case, but I found myself disagreeing with the author's viewpoints that the Ezekiel 38 war is part of Armageddon. I don't know the mind of God (men make plans and God laughs). I'm not a prophet, nor do I claim to be, I just call it play-by-play (to use the football analogy) - we don't know what the coach is calling even when we see the formation of the offenses and defenses lined up, and God can call as many audibles as he likes.

Perfect example - is Sudan going to sign a normalization agreement? I don't know. I do know, it has been back and forth several times in the last couple months.
I know what God's word says. How he decides to move the pieces is his call, not mine. I never suggested that my views were the end-all-be-all of anything.
I will say, that I've put in tons of time and done a lot of homework as I am sure others have done and I have the resources to back it up my viewpoint.

I know others who were contributing to the war thread based upon the past threads (like yours and others for example). I'm sure no one came after you for your views. If anything, I wondered where you were, as you contributed at times past. From some of these posts, it appears people believe it is helpful.

Geopolitically I see things like a puzzle, and I wasn't going to post anything about that until someone asked me to. Otherwise, I would have just kept it to myself.

As far as Psalm 83 goes, it didn't gain traction until about 9 - 11 years ago. He's certainly entitled to his opinion as I am mine. And I have a right to challenge his as you challenged me and other posters do too.

But when it is touted as "a missing piece of the Ezekiel 38 prophecy, but you'll have to buy my book" that's bologna. It's deception at its finest. God is not the author of confusion. He's been saying this for years. Problem is, nothing on the current geopolitical horizon backs up his claims, but everything on the current geopolitical horizon backs up Ezekiel 38. How long it takes? I don't know. Will we be here for it? I don't know.

Furthermore, I never said Ezekiel 38 was happening tomorrow, nor insinuated it was. For all we know, Saudi Arabia might not sign a normalization with Israel for another 10 years. Sudan might do it tomorrow. Libya's civil war could continue for years, as Syria's and Yemen's. We do know how it looks like at the start of the war. I just follow the pieces as God moves them. I make educated guesses, but I've clearly stated they were MY guesses. At times I thought, maybe I shouldn't make them, or bring anyone's attention to them.

There's hundreds of views of this war, the timing, how it could all happen, etc.
I like to take something of interest and drill it down and research it and find all I can to help those who don't have the time to do the studying to do it for them who wants someone else's fresh perspective on it.

Honestly I can only take your post the best way I can, since our exchange has been one or two posts between us. Your response is duly noted. :cool:
Blessings.

Last edited:

sawas

Hello Sawas, and thanks for your comment.

You must have caught the pdf file when I first posted the link, because I removed the link about one minute after I posted it. I didn't want someone else's research to determine how I see things. It makes a case, but I found myself disagreeing with the author's viewpoints that the Ezekiel 38 war is part of Armageddon. I don't know the mind of God (men make plans and God laughs). I'm not a prophet, nor do I claim to be, I just call it play-by-play (to use the football analogy) - we don't know what the coach is calling even when we see the formation of the offenses and defenses lined up, and God can call as many audibles as he likes.

Perfect example - is Sudan going to sign a normalization agreement? I don't know. I do know, it has been back and forth several times in the last couple months.
I know what God's word says. How he decides to move the pieces is his call, not mine. I never suggested that my views were the end-all-be-all of anything.
I will say, that I've put in tons of time and done a lot of homework as I am sure others have done and I have the resources to back it up my viewpoint.

I know others who were contributing to the war thread based upon the past threads (like yours and others for example). I'm sure no one came after you for your views. If anything, I wondered where you were, as you contributed at times past. From some of these posts, it appears people believe it is helpful.

Geopolitically I see things like a puzzle, and I wasn't going to post anything about that until someone asked me to. Otherwise, I would have just kept it to myself.

As far as Psalm 83 goes, it didn't gain traction until about 9 - 11 years ago. He's certainly entitled to his opinion as I am mine. And I have a right to challenge his as you challenged me and other posters do too.

But when it is touted as "a missing piece of the Ezekiel 38 prophecy, but you'll have to buy my book" that's bologna. It's deception at its finest. God is not the author of confusion. He's been saying this for years. Problem is, nothing on the current geopolitical horizon backs up his claims, but everything on the current geopolitical horizon backs up Ezekiel 38. How long it takes? I don't know. Will we be here for it? I don't know.

Furthermore, I never said Ezekiel 38 was happening tomorrow, nor insinuated it was. For all we know, Saudi Arabia might not sign a normalization with Israel for another 10 years. Sudan might do it tomorrow. Libya's civil war could continue for years, as Syria's and Yemen's. We do know how it looks like at the start of the war. I just follow the pieces as God moves them. I make educated guesses, but I've clearly stated they were MY guesses. At times I thought, maybe I shouldn't make them, or bring anyone's attention to them.

There's hundreds of views of this war, the timing, how it could all happen, etc.
I like to take something of interest and drill it down and research it and find all I can to help those who don't have the time to do the studying to do it for them who wants someone else's fresh perspective on it.

Honestly I can only take your post the best way I can, since our exchange has been one or two posts between us. Your response is duly noted. :cool:
Blessings.
Believe me, I understand taking on things like a dog with a bone. It can be as simple as exploring our curiosity, thinking out loud, or something more serious. In a forum like this, it can be very useful for us to work these things out together, i.e. iron sharpens iron, etc. There are limits, of course, but I think its always useful when we're forced to defend our views. So, to be sure, I wouldn't want to discourage you from going out on a limb to do just that.

As for Salus and his book, I've never read it and, yet, I'm still confident that he's conveyed to any audience (including myself) the most salient parts of his reasoning and beliefs. The fact that he makes money from writing such books sets him apart from all others in the field how? I fail to see the distinction. You may not like his arguments on Psalm 83 or, perhaps, his demeanor, but I've always found him to be pretty humble and plain-spoken. I once watched a video of him presenting to a congregation one of the most earnest, sincere, and doctrinally sound appeals to Catholics that I've yet witnessed. That, in of itself, impressed me about him. It doesn't make him right in his interpretation of Psalm 83, of course, but I seriously doubt that he's the sort of charlatan that has been described here.

I've given the Psalm 82 "conjecture" (as it were, certainly as presented by Salus or any others) due consideration and have, thus far, been willing to see a degree of plausibility in it. As has been noted, it hinges - more than a little - on just how one interprets the description of the "land of unwalled villages", et al. As far as I can see, it easily lies within the the realm of "plausibility" and not, by way of contrast, to more consequential errors such as confusing Ezekiel 38 with Revelation 20.

Even though I happen to disagree with some other dispensationalists (such as Andy Wood or Dwight Pentecost) about the timing of Ezekiel 38, I don't imagine that a difference in opinion on that single matter - completely unrelated to the gospel message itself - sufficient to warrant throwing out the baby with the bathwater. As it happens Woods materials are a regular go-to source for me. His opinion (or "conjecture") about the timing of Ezekiel 38 is plausible too, I just don't happen to agree, differing in my own interpretation of Ezekiel 39:22, as it happens...not that it matters.

I'd love to be participating here more frequently than I've been able, but lately have a multitude of other obligations pressing on me it seems. I do try to check in when I can, if only to butt in on the rare occasion.

cheers, sawas

Last edited:

Uturn9319

Believe me, I understand taking on things like a dog with a bone. It can be as simple as exploring our curiosity, thinking out loud, or something more serious. In a forum like this, it can be very useful for us to work these things out together, i.e. iron sharpens iron, etc. There are limits, of course, but I think its always useful when we're forced to defend our views. So, to be sure, I wouldn't want to discourage you from going out on a limb to do just that.

As for Salus and his book, I've never read it and, yet, I'm still confident that he's conveyed to any audience (including myself) the most salient parts of his reasoning and beliefs. The fact that he makes money from writing such books sets him apart from all others in the field how? I fail to see the distinction. You may not like his arguments on Psalm 83 or, perhaps, his demeanor, but I've always found him to be pretty humble and plain-spoken. I once watched a video of him presenting to a congregation one of the most earnest, sincere, and doctrinally sound appeals to Catholics that I've yet witnessed. That, in of itself, impressed me about him. It doesn't make him right in his interpretation of Psalm 83, of course, but I seriously doubt that he's the sort of charlatan that has been described here.

I've given the Psalm 82 "conjecture" (as it were, certainly as presented by Salus or any others) due consideration and have, thus far, been willing to see a degree of plausibility in it. As has been noted, it hinges - more than a little - on just how one interprets the description of the "land of unwalled villages", et al. As far as I can see, it easily lies within the the realm of "plausibility" and not, by way of contrast, to more consequential errors such as confusing Ezekiel 38 with Revelation 20.

Even though I happen to disagree with some other dispensationalists (such as Andy Wood or Dwight Pentecost) about the timing of Ezekiel 38, I don't imagine that a difference in opinion on that single matter - completely unrelated to the gospel message itself - sufficient to warrant throwing out the baby with the bathwater. As it happens Woods materials are a regular go-to source for me. His opinion (or "conjecture") about the timing of Ezekiel 38 is plausible too, I just don't happen to agree, differing in my own interpretation of Ezekiel 39:22, as it happens...not that it matters.

I'd love to be participating here more frequently than I've been able, but lately have a multitude of other obligations pressing on me it seems. I do try to check in when I can, if only to butt in on the rare occasion.

cheers, sawas
deleted for now.

Last edited:

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
This thread has been good.

If I might offer my thoughts about Israel. The entire purpose of the last days we are in is twofold: 1) bring in the last church age convert, & 2) set the stage for Israel to call upon their Messiah.

Israel has to turn to Jesus. They will encounter tribulation until they are willing to do that.

Yet, these People of The Book do have a deep relationship with our God. For an example, this morning I read Zechariah 1:6 “But did not My words and My statutes, which I commanded My servants the prophets, overtake your fathers? Then they repented and said, 'As the LORD of hosts purposed to do to us in accordance with our ways and our deeds, so He has dealt with us.” This is amazing! For those accepting guilt, the outcome of disobeying as described in Deuteronomy (removal from God’s land warned of about 1550 BC, nothing happens until the 500s with the Babylonian exile and after 70-years returned). God is so patient!

Deeply rebellious for over 1k years! One generation goes into exile and during the return their kids were full of the fear of God, in a good healthy way.

Israel’s repentance will not require excessive force. They will recognize our gentle Shepherd as the times of Jacob’s troubles begin via Ezekiel’s end time war.

IMO Salus adds an unneeded prediction. He predicts two wars. That’s excessive and only one will be necessary. He is benefiting from that prediction. Prediction sells. However, he is shallow in his understanding of how real, or deep, or genuine Israel’s relationship is with God.

They will repent with softened knowledgeable hearts after Ezekiel’s war, they won’t require two back-to-back wars.
Hol! You're back!:bighug

Andy C

Jack could be wrong, and the many others who also believe in the possibility Psalm 83 is a war. You could also be right, and if cornered, I will admit there is more evidence in support of your position, but IMO, not conclusive.

Truly, Im not dogmatic on my views on Psalm 83, but either way, Israel comes out on top. Sadly, it will be a rough seven years for them and many others during the tribulation.

Regardless of if the Psalm is an actual war, I do agree Ezekiel prophecy will happen after the rapture, and before the start of the tribulation.