College Decisions

Love His Appearing

So....my kid is being recruited by Oral Roberts University in Tulsa for a baseball scholarship. They have invited us for an official visit in 2 weeks. I am not a huge fan of their biblical theology (Joel Osteen graduated from ORU) but otherwise it feels like a good fit. I have watched a few of their live chapel podcasts and they are spot on. If I didnt know better, I would be ALL IN because bad theology HAS TO BE better than the liberal nastiness that most of the state schools are spewing.

Thoughts?

fl2007rn

I have three nieces who were raised in Christian families, and once they went off to college they became flaming liberals. One niece went to New York University and the other two went to Michigan State. My brother and sister both swear if they had to do it over they would only send their children to Christian Universities. Praying that the Lord leads you to the right college. :pray

RonJohnSilver

I went to Baylor in the 70s, a solid Christian school then, less so now. Any school can be corrupted so the best thing to do is give your child a solid Bible foundation heavy in apologetics so they can know why they believe what they believe. I assume that you've done that. That said, ORU is better than most, although, as you noted, their theology needs to be held to the Biblical standard. Hold to that which is true, reject what is false. That applies to any school or church. Hope your son does well wherever he goes.

NCannie

Hi LHA! Both of my girls will attend a Christian college this year. One a junior and the other a freshman. I feel like you in that it beats a super liberal college but more importantly I don’t rely on the school to be the place where my girls get the majority of their feeding. They attend a church and bible study separate from the school and have/had a solid biblical upbringing by their parents (us) , local church, Christian elementary school and home school community. Not to say that they could never be swayed by some of the watered down teachings but we have weekly conversations in our home about current new age teachings and how the don’t hold up to the Bible. I pray as well over their faith life often!

Lynn

We have weekly conversations in our home about current new age teachings and how they don’t hold up to the Bible. I pray as well over their faith life often!
Wow! Excellent parenting! Have you & dh ever thought about leading a coed seminar for parents of teens at your church? You'd be great role models.

NCannie

Wow! Excellent parenting! Have you & dh ever thought about leading a coed seminar for parents of teens at your church? You'd be great role models.
You are so sweet; we have never really thought about it. I have have been in crisis pregnancy ministry for 15 years and we were very involved when our girls were in youth group with ALL the kids! That may be something we need to pray over. Thanks for the suggestion!