Clutter Control question

Discussion in 'For the Ladies' started by Mish, Sep 2, 2018.

1. athenasius

athenasius Well-Known Member

Hugs Kerbluey, God give you strength to git er done.

Yeah the spark joy thing is useful. It's a good way to "see" thru the emotions, the memories, the what I hoped for when I got this thing kind of mental clutter attached to the thing itself.

I was talking to a friend (also a homeschooler) and we came up with the idea that sometimes clutter is like insulation. If you have it, stir it with a stick occasionally, wonder why you can't get rid of it, it might be simply postponed emotional stuff. In her case she divorced about 15 years back, and remarried, but she has memory boxes for her kids. There was some very real physical abuse, and she teared up when we started talking insulation. She has put off dealing with it, insulating till she was emotionally ready to let go of the past, which she is now in the process of doing. But she was beating herself up fro not doing it before now. Till we thought of insulation.

Then we realized she'd been hanging onto it, till she could safely touch the boxes. Not open them, but just touch them enough to offer them to the kids.

Now she can reinsulate her new attic with happy memories going forward and she is free to let go the past by simply passing it on to the kids if they want their memory boxes, and if they don't by dumpsterizing them.

For me the insulation factor is the books. As long as I have my books, I'm insulated from the trauma of forgetting stuff. I can look it up in my books. I'm insulated from the trauma of not being what I wanted to be by now because at any moment I could get that book out and learn how to be an amazing cook. Meanwhile I cook what I like just fine but I was saving my collections for someday. I've been going thru and cooking new recipes from the Taste of Home stuff and quite enjoying it, with an eye to letting go other cookbooks (and a lot went to the Sally Ann on the last couple of runs).

I got rid of a whole bunch of fall decor items that just werent' ringing my bells this year. Felt really good. I can always hit up the thrift stores next year or the dollar store and get similar again if I want, but I want a simpler fall decor, so I've been enjoying a pared down version and so far haven't missed the stuff I tossed.

caligal, Judy4Jesus, Mish and 3 others like this.
  2. Kerbluey

Kerbluey Well-Known Member

This! I was thinking about my crosstitching patterns last night. Im at the age where it’s a real possibility I may not literally live long enough to do all the ones I want to. But I keep them around because I may one day suddenly uncharacteristically get them done. Like your cooking dream, right?

I sometimes get an inkling that my clutter and back pain are related excuses for not having to do...whatever. And yet there are things I want to do that both also keep me from doing. It’s frustrating.

Judy4Jesus, Mish, Lynn and 3 others like this.
  3. Cindy S.

Cindy S. Well-Known Member

There is a big 20 yard dumpster in my dad's driveway right now being filled up with everything he couldn't or wouldn't part with.
    He left his mess for his kids to take care of.

4. Kerbluey

I see that in our future when my mil dies......

Judy4Jesus, Mish, Kem and 1 other person like this.
  5. Momma D

Momma D Well-Known Member

I am quite organized, and could tell you from the chair I'm sitting in exactly where virtually everything in my house is located. Doesn't mean I need it all...but I know where it is :)
    But since my husband died in September, I have had a desire to get rid of things I rarely use. Extra spatulas, CD's I haven't listened to in forever, etc. In reality, I am a minimalist, and becoming more so.
    Jim left instructions for our sons to handle all the financial business, pension, insurance and the like...and they have been a huge blessing!
    My next step, when I can handle it, is to re-organize the papers that they 'organized.'
    I want to give away his suits and several heavy jackets that would never fit any of the boys. Someone mentioned the Salvation Army, that would probably be a good place to start.
    This will be a slow process, and nothing goes out the door without the boy's approval.
    They know that I am not trying to purge his presence from our home or my life...but attempting to bless others with some of the extra stuff we have and don't need.
    It will take prayer and time...please pray this will be done in God's perfect timing.
    Thanks for listening...it has been a blessing putting these thoughts to paper :hug

caligal, Judy4Jesus, Mish and 5 others like this.
  6. Kerbluey

MommaD, praying for you! It’s hard to give away things when they represent so much more. I’m leaning more and more towards minimalism myself. I have no decorating talent anyway, and stuff feels suffocating.

Judy4Jesus, Mish, athenasius and 2 others like this.
  7. Kem

Kem Citizen

lol I love that word! That is what I do to most "stuff" that hasn't been used in a good while. Minimal is my motto.....well unless it refers to my wardrobe which is my weakness. I will offer as my excuse the fact that growing up my family was pretty close to poverty level and I had almost nothing that was not a hand me down and almost never anything that was actually in style. Anyway I try to be reasonable even about the wardrobe.....well kind of reasonable. lol

caligal, Judy4Jesus, Kerbluey and 4 others like this.
  8. Anewcreationinjesus

Anewcreationinjesus Well-Known Member

:D

Judy4Jesus, Kerbluey, Mish and 4 others like this.
  9. Cindy S.

Cindy S. Well-Known Member

My motto is if I haven't used it in a year.... unless it's lamps or furniture lol

Judy4Jesus, Kerbluey, Mish and 4 others like this.