Church of Scotland Votes to Allow SSM

lismore

I wouldn't step foot into a church that is allowing same sex marriages in their church.
It makes me feel sad for many reasons. There are a lot of small places in the Highlands where a Church of Scotland is the only church in town. There will be people in those congregations, faithful believers, many of them elderly who have seen their church over many years move away from a biblical foundation. I wonder what they'll do? I hope the Holy Spirit will encourage them to remain faithful in these last days. But it may be a lonely road for them, whatever they choose. God Bless :)

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Usually visit a Church of Scotland when I'm on summer holiday (vacation) in the Scottish Highlands. Now I wonder whether to do that anymore.
We are currently out of our home state staying near a medical center where my dh had eye surgery. Since we were unable to visit a local church in this area, we turned on slbc.org to see Andy Woods preach an excellent sermon out of Genesis. We would have also viewed the Sunday School portion, but we were very tired and fell asleep :sleepchair
Perhaps Andy's livestream would be helpful for you in your situation. Some Christian leaders are thinking that the Rapture may be the next big event to impact the whole world. I am thinking along those lines myself. :sad

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
We are currently out of our home state staying near a medical center where my dh had eye surgery. Since we were unable to visit a local church in this area, we turned on slbc.org to see Andy Woods preach an excellent sermon out of Genesis. We would have also viewed the Sunday School portion, but we were very tired and fell asleep :sleepchair
Perhaps Andy's livestream would be helpful for you in your situation. Some Christian leaders are thinking that the Rapture may be the next big event to impact the whole world. I am thinking along those lines myself. :sad
:praying the :rapture is the next big event to happen.

lismore

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the recommendation, when I'm on holiday that would be a good option! It's sad to see the largest denomination in Scotland going apostate, at least my own church (Baptist) is holding the line. But we seem to be getting fewer over here. God Bless :)

TheRedeemed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61547729

The Presbyterian Church of Scotland (largest denomination) has voted to allow same sex marriages in the church by 274 votes to 136. Sign of the times. :mope

Yeah I seen this on the BBC‘s Reporting Scotland teatime news today.

The vote was 2-1 in favour as well, but ministers still have the right to refuse to perform these services.

How many of them will be hounded out though if they don’t succumb to the ‘new world’ I wonder.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
It makes me feel sad for many reasons. There are a lot of small places in the Highlands where a Church of Scotland is the only church in town. There will be people in those congregations, faithful believers, many of them elderly who have seen their church over many years move away from a biblical foundation. I wonder what they'll do? I hope the Holy Spirit will encourage them to remain faithful in these last days. But it may be a lonely road for them, whatever they choose. God Bless :)

Maybe they may have to resort to just home churches or gatherings just like they use to do in Paul's time.

It's really sad to hear that though.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
So sorry lismore. :hug

We had to leave a church that we'd come to love because of unbiblical teachings and it was so sad for us too. :sad

But I kept praying for the local church and God actually moved some leaders to pull away and become independent after 2 years in process. They found a pastor who faithfully preached expository bible and truth. Some congregants shared that they were learning so much. The people there were more elderly like you've described in these small places and it seemed that God was faithful to provide.

I'll pray along with you for this church that God will make another way for them to worship and learn biblically. :pray

MapleLeaf

What's the point of this toothless, feckless religion? I mean, if we can scratch out the verses we don't like or just 're-interpret' them and behave exactly like the world around us, why would I get up on Sunday mornings and sacrifice time to going to meetings and Bible Studies? I would just stay home and watch TV. I'm losing real interest in a faith that makes "looking appealing" it's number one priority. Equating obedience with nastiness and self-righteousness was a devious move by the Enemy. It happened when the Church noticed people were leaving but society as a whole was still recognisable. We thought the problem was us. But now the world has gone nuts. It's not us. The darkness hates the light. But we've been well-trained to think the hatred is a response to us being mean or cruel so we continue to cave.