Church keeps talking about money

Jojo4124

Very long answer, but I assume you believe its not biblical for a pastor to recieve any compensation?
It doesnt matter what I believe on this issue

A worker deserves his wages. It is wrong for a pastor out of fear to badger the church for money. Paul specifically said he worked a job so as to not BURDEN the church. Certainly not manipulate or misuse the Word to try to force giving.

We saw a church ask ppl to take out home equity loans to pay off the church debt. This is not good, right?

Andy, brother, ty for taking time to discuss this! I always appreciate other's opinions! Question:
If a pastor cant support his family with the number of ppl giving in his church....should he...
1. Get an additional job?
2. Make the church give more?
3. Be more concerned with new visitors than kids who just accepted Jesus?
4. Become more worldly to attract young ppl?
5.build another, fancier church in a wealthy neighborhood and try to draw in rich givers?
6.make his goal to equip the saints for the ministry according to the gifts n personslities of thr ppl, then teach them to minister to others including poor ppl who cant afford to tithe? But the church grows due to salvations...
7. Quit the ministry n get a job elsewhere?
8...?

I've seen all the above. So really, pastors, all of us, must ask God what to do n do it. Trusting God to provide, like if you pastor a little country church, is the key, right?

Epieikes

Just a few thoughts from a fulltime pastor's wife (and unsalaried worship leader). ❤

1. Our "stuff" is sincerely all God's. We are stewards of the earth and even the things He enables us to earn and do. (James 1:17)

2. Jesus taught more about $$ than He did about Heaven and Hell. He knew that greed is common to both pulpit and pew.

3. Malachi 3:10 is one of many verses that make it clear that we cannot out-give God. “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and put Me to the test now in this,” says the LORD of armies, “if I do not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows." The question is, how often DO people put Him to the test?

4. Churches are closing right and left, Philadelphia-style ones, too, because there is always a reason why many choose to leave the mere fumes of their salary for the local body of Christ. I don't believe many consider the ramifications of withholding. The church on the corner that has married, buried, visited, grown, and bled for families will not always be there. And Yahweh WILL hold the unchurched and the dechurched accountable for what they did with their tithe (which includes their prayers, presence, gifts, AND service).

5. Our flock has pleaded for my husband to preach on tithing. He was reluctant to do so, because we have always prayed for the Lord to meet our needs. However, COVID....AND. State of the pew...if you are reaching young believers, it takes time to grow them into tithers. Tithing testimonies have been helpful for us.

6. 1 Timothy 5: 17-18 is only one passage in support of financial support of the local church. "Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in the word and doctrine. For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer is worthy of his wages.”

7. What giving does in the heart of the giver in regard to building faith, trust, and God-dependence, is immeasurable. This faith-in-action becomes contagious and spreads to others. It's not how much (widow's mite) but it is heart priority. Once again, "to whom much is given, much is required." Luke 12: 47-48

THAT SAID...

1.Megachurches should prayerfully consider planting congregations out of their strength, local and international, rather than ballooning and becoming financially invested in buildings and more stuff. It's really hard to move casual seekers to genuine discipleship when you have more than you can faithfully steward. Plus, once you've missioned in Africa or served in mission-minded smaller American churches, seeing how far a dollar will go, the need and validation for worthy support are crystal clear.

2. Any church that pleases God fully will have a missions budget that WILL be honored, even if the pastor's salary is delayed. He is our only paid staff, and it's modest. Personal experience, but God is faithful.

3. Christ gave EVERYTHING. I want to be just like Him, from my calendar and my checkbook to the condition of my heart. If He's our standard, then many things really are simplified.

Just my "mite." ❤