Church attendance - longevity

rks7777

My mom will turn 91 in a few weeks. She has been a faithful member of the same church for nearly 60 years. A good, sound, Bible teaching church. Not perfect by any means but a good church. I too have attended this same church for most of my life (61 years old). I visit another church closer to home now and then but my home church is still the same. Here’s my question or thought. Do you think that my mother and I are outliers in being loyal to the same church for so long? Or do you believe it’s more typical to change churches from time to time? And not changing churches because of relocation. I would be interested in some of your thoughts. Thanks

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Or do you believe it’s more typical to change churches from time to time? And not changing churches because of relocation.
Yes, rks7777, because of this, I'd consider you to be an outlier. Most families like to be formally affiliated with a church that is local to their primary residence. In fact, some churches will not allow an attendee to serve in their church in any capacity unless the person is a member. Going through the process of becoming a member is not only a time for the candidate to examine the church more closely, but also gives the pastor and staff an opportunity to determine whether or not the person is actually saved. If so, then it's a chance to see what might be the person's gifts for serving in the church.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
Outlier....

person or thing situated away or detached from the main body or system.
"less accessible islands and outliers"

a person or thing differing from all other members of a particular group or set.
"an outlier in Faulkner's body of work"

GEOLOGY
a younger rock formation isolated among older rocks.
‐--------------------------------------------------------------
I actually came across this word in my book last night and had to look it up. I really don't grasp the meaning though.

JamesSuth

I live in quite a rural area, so people tend to stick to the same church all their lives (or leave if it ceases to be a Biblically - sound church). But in my nearest city I'm aware that many people are frequently changing churches, or so it seems to me. There are more options and it is easier to leave if something isn't right or they don't like something.

rks7777

I live in quite a rural area, so people tend to stick to the same church all their lives (or leave if it ceases to be a Biblically - sound church). But in my nearest city I'm aware that many people are frequently changing churches, or so it seems to me. There are more options and it is easier to leave if something isn't right or they don't like something.
I probably should have added that we live in a large metropolitan area. Lot of options when it comes to churches.