Christmas Decorations!

anath

I Love the Lord
That's so sweet Cindy:hug

Well I've started...I have BEGUN work on my front door wreath which is actually 3 small vertical wreaths that connect with ribbon. I got my forms Sat and have them connected with fishing line & spaced proportionately but that is all. I'm a little conflicted if I want to do the usual live greenery or artificial. The live stuff always starts turning brown for Christmas and it is completely dead by Jan 1st which is when I take decorations down

athenasius

I've been meaning to get in on this thread and thank Janice for starting it. This thread is VERY inspirational. I love reading all your posts, because it's like a nice holiday visit and cup of coffee with each of you. Even the ones who haven't started yet. It's nice to hear how you are all celebrating the Lord's birth.

I started with some winter sort of decor just before we left in early October. So the basics are already there.

My apartment is dark brown wood floors and cabinets, brown granite countertops, white tile backsplash in the kitchen, off white walls, carpet, couches and chairs and dark wood furniture. So it's all chocolate brown, off white or white and brushed steel-- the style is IKEA modern minimalist. I have white cotton slipcovers that I launder once a season with G's help.

I put red pears around the white LED candle in the glass bowl on the coffee table, and 2 red toss cushion covers on the toss cushions and a red throw on the footstool. There is a beaded red cushion on the white chair in the corner, and a red tablecloth. 2 red silk floral arrangements on either side of the couch, with a bowl of red roses between the 2 white tub chairs at the end.

In the kitchen I wear a red apron, and I have a gigantic shiny red platter behind the stove leaning up on the wall. There is a red silk orchid arrangement that makes the dark cabinetry just glow. The rest of the year it's a creamy white one.

In the guest bath I have a red spice scented candle, red towels and a couple of black and white pictures up with some red accents in them.

I have a set of 3 Red LED flicker candles in glass stands that sits on one end of the white hallway bookshelves.

The red warms it all up, because my minimalist modern can be a little stark and chilly in the winter.

That is all season from Nov 11 thru to the middle of February (day after Valentines it ALL comes down, I'm sick of red by then, and I want lemon yellow and white silk florals to welcome the early February light coming back)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This next is more or less me writing out my to do list here for all to see. It's my extra Christmas prep.

These are only up from late November to early January. This is what I NEED to get to before Dec 1 hits. Actually maybe before this Sunday because Sunday dinner is at our place this weekend, and son and dil had their outside coloured lights up when we were there for dinner last night. HMMMM

I add a thin white pencil tree with white lights and put silver and red ornaments on it. George puts that on a timer, because it adds a lot of extra light which is very welcome at this time of year. I like it from early to late morning, and early afternoon till after bedtime.

A pedestal filled with a big silk Poinsettia goes by the dining room door to the deck. It's sort of like a big fake planter. I'm thinking of winding some little white fairy lights into it.

On the dining table is a red shiny glass bowl for fruit, with a big cream LED wax flicker candle in the middle. Anyone wondering where the Japanese oranges are for Christmas this year? I haven't seen any boxes yet and I usually have that bowl filled with them.

A single stalk red silk Amaryllis goes into one of the vases that sits by the TV permanently, and a white Amaryllis in a red shiny Christmasy glass ball base by George's dark brown leather comfy chair (one of those Poang things) and another red Amaryllis that looks like it's actually planted from a bulb in a black ceramic planter that sits on the white bookshelves in the hallway along with those red LED flicker candles.

A Fisher Price Nativity set that the granddaughters love to play with, along with a beautiful one that comes in a little paper book that opens up to a 3 D diorama and a lovely Russian Nativity scene that is painted on wood in enamel work. Hard to describe but those 3 Nativity scenes are essential.

When I get this done, I'll report back in.

Judy4Jesus

I've been meaning to get in on this thread and thank Janice for starting it. This thread is VERY inspirational. I love reading all your posts, because it's like a nice holiday visit and cup of coffee with each of you. Even the ones who haven't started yet. It's nice to hear how you are all celebrating the Lord's birth.

I started with some winter sort of decor just before we left in early October. So the basics are already there.

My apartment is dark brown wood floors and cabinets, brown granite countertops, white tile backsplash in the kitchen, off white walls, carpet, couches and chairs and dark wood furniture. So it's all chocolate brown, off white or white and brushed steel-- the style is IKEA modern minimalist. I have white cotton slipcovers that I launder once a season with G's help.

I put red pears around the white LED candle in the glass bowl on the coffee table, and 2 red toss cushion covers on the toss cushions and a red throw on the footstool. There is a beaded red cushion on the white chair in the corner, and a red tablecloth. 2 red silk floral arrangements on either side of the couch, with a bowl of red roses between the 2 white tub chairs at the end.

In the kitchen I wear a red apron, and I have a gigantic shiny red platter behind the stove leaning up on the wall. There is a red silk orchid arrangement that makes the dark cabinetry just glow. The rest of the year it's a creamy white one.

In the guest bath I have a red spice scented candle, red towels and a couple of black and white pictures up with some red accents in them.

I have a set of 3 Red LED flicker candles in glass stands that sits on one end of the white hallway bookshelves.

The red warms it all up, because my minimalist modern can be a little stark and chilly in the winter.

That is all season from Nov 11 thru to the middle of February (day after Valentines it ALL comes down, I'm sick of red by then, and I want lemon yellow and white silk florals to welcome the early February light coming back)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This next is more or less me writing out my to do list here for all to see. It's my extra Christmas prep.

These are only up from late November to early January. This is what I NEED to get to before Dec 1 hits. Actually maybe before this Sunday because Sunday dinner is at our place this weekend, and son and dil had their outside coloured lights up when we were there for dinner last night. HMMMM

I add a thin white pencil tree with white lights and put silver and red ornaments on it. George puts that on a timer, because it adds a lot of extra light which is very welcome at this time of year. I like it from early to late morning, and early afternoon till after bedtime.

A pedestal filled with a big silk Poinsettia goes by the dining room door to the deck. It's sort of like a big fake planter. I'm thinking of winding some little white fairy lights into it.

On the dining table is a red shiny glass bowl for fruit, with a big cream LED wax flicker candle in the middle. Anyone wondering where the Japanese oranges are for Christmas this year? I haven't seen any boxes yet and I usually have that bowl filled with them.

A single stalk red silk Amaryllis goes into one of the vases that sits by the TV permanently, and a white Amaryllis in a red shiny Christmasy glass ball base by George's dark brown leather comfy chair (one of those Poang things) and another red Amaryllis that looks like it's actually planted from a bulb in a black ceramic planter that sits on the white bookshelves in the hallway along with those red LED flicker candles.

A Fisher Price Nativity set that the granddaughters love to play with, along with a beautiful one that comes in a little paper book that opens up to a 3 D diorama and a lovely Russian Nativity scene that is painted on wood in enamel work. Hard to describe but those 3 Nativity scenes are essential.

When I get this done, I'll report back in.
Sounds so LOVELY!!

Cindy S.

That's so sweet Cindy:hug

Well I've started...I have BEGUN work on my front door wreath which is actually 3 small vertical wreaths that connect with ribbon. I got my forms Sat and have them connected with fishing line & spaced proportionately but that is all. I'm a little conflicted if I want to do the usual live greenery or artificial. The live stuff always starts turning brown for Christmas and it is completely dead by Jan 1st which is when I take decorations down
We need pictures. Anyone know how to post pics?

Kem

Citizen
I used to do a lot of decorating, a ton of baking, gift wrapping and etc. Now I put up a little 2' tree that dh brought home from the hardware store about 15 years ago and I thought was kind of cheesy. Glad I kept it because it is quick and easy and has it's own lights. Two years ago dil convinced me to make a wreath for the front door under her guidance. It turned out great and will go up again this year. I have a small nativity scene that is probably about 20 or more years old and gets set out every year.

Oh, I almost forgot, I did make a small tree from glittery balls purchased at the dollar store and trimmed with greenery and other small decorations. It is mainly silver and blue and of course dil helped me every step of the way. It would be trash without her help. Anyway it has a small battery powered light inside and will go on the dining room table. That is probably all for decorating around here. As most of you know, I am a minimalist and pretty good at logic. I can also rush into a burning building to put out the fire or pick up bloody bodies along the roadside. Am useless as an artist. lol

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
I thought with Christmas coming up it would be a good thread topic. Glad you are enjoying this Margery(athenasius), and thanks for sharing how you are decorating. It was 61 here today beautiful to be outside, and do some more decorating. We finished by putting the 2 candles on each side of the bottom step. We also put up the 2 silver bells on the single shepherd's hook, clear lighted wreath on double shepherd's hook, and Jeff has the cords all set up for when they come on Thanksgiving night. Also, 2 red and green bows on our 2 porch lights. The nice thing about all our lights are they are set up on a timer to come on. All year long we have all red lights on our flag pole with red, white, and blue on the top and bottom wooden rails which is in front where the shepherd's hooks are. We will finish decorating

inside this week with our red and green lights all the way around our 5 bay windows, our 4 1/2 ft Vancouver fir on a small table in front of the 3rd bay window, and we also have a ceramic manger scene Jeff's mom made that we set out, and 3 carolers that his mom painted. I also want to add that our tree can switch from all clear lights to multi. We bought our tree 3 years ago 1/2 off got it for $50. It will be nicely and pretty lit up with the lighting ceremony on Thanksgiving night. Thanks everyone for sharing how you decorate for Christmas! :) :bighug

Last edited:

kathymendel

We are doing something a bit weird this year. My granddaughter and her husband will be staying with us for a couple of nights at Christmas. She is a tiki freak. So, just for fun, we are going to surprise them with a tiki theme..............we're calling it "Happy Huladays". Dd is so talented at decorating. She has painted two blocks of wood and a short finial as Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus, and we found a wooden "something" at a thrift store to use as the creche. We are making some tiki-face and tropical ornaments to add to the tree, and pulled out our tropical themed dishes for our special holiday dinner. They will be leaving mid-day Christmas Eve to go to his family in San Diego, so they will be having the traditional turkey dinner there. We are going to serve a pork loin with "Island sauce", au gratin potatoes and green beans on Sunday night, with some kind of wonderful pineapple dessert. We are usually VERY conservative with our Christmas decor and meal, but it will be fun to "kick it up a notch" this year just for fun's sake. No disrespect or anything................ If I can figure it out, I will try to post a few pictures.