Christmas Decorations and Celebrations

O4L

Funny joke I can't help exploiting here:

"When you see the Christmas lights up, you know Thanksgiving is just around the corner!"

(Yea, I know, a lot of us have already heard it. But it is still darn funny... and true).
It's gotten so bad lately with all the Christmas stuff out so early that you could say that it is a sign that Halloween is just around the corner.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I went out back and fetched a Christmas tree on the day after Thanksgiving. I didn't pick this tree, it picked me. My oldest daughter said we should name the tree Olive because she thinks it is shaped like one. It is the oldest tree I've ever cut down for a Christmas tree. It is short, I'm guessing because the root system must have hit solid rock and wasn't able to get through that. For its short height it is quite wide and much, much fuller than a typical white spruce tree. I'm quite pleased with this unusual tree for picking me. Merry Christmas, everyone.

Brother Albert R.

:treeDo we hurt Jesus' feelings when we put up trees and decorations for Christmas that likely had pagan origins? We were in Home Depot today and there were very few things that had to do with Jesus in the Christmas section. We did buy a manger scene that lit up LED's and played Away in a manger and Silent Night. I really like all the trees, lights and decorations and celebrating winter but I am afraid to make Jesus upset by having things like that. I lose the joyful feeling seeing these things and feel guilty when I think of hurting Jesus' feelings. I would really like some input from you brothers and sisters.
I love this time of year...Who ever in the history of mankind has ever brought such joy to the hearts of men as Jesus has? It is right to decorate and to celebrate Jesus, especially as believers. What if we were like the JW who never celebrate anything..how sad. Yes, it is my opinion that it is right, not only to join in on the celebration festivities, but also to share with those around us the true meaning of why we celebrate Christ-mas.
I hope this helps,
God bless,
Brother ALbert

from google
Christmas is celebrated to remember the birth of of Jesus Christ, who Christians believe is the Son of God. The name 'Christmas' comes from the Mass of Christ (or Jesus). A Mass service (which is sometimes called Communion or Eucharist) is where Christians remember that Jesus died for us and then came back to life.

RestInHim

:treeDo we hurt Jesus' feelings when we put up trees and decorations for Christmas that likely had pagan origins? We were in Home Depot today and there were very few things that had to do with Jesus in the Christmas section. We did buy a manger scene that lit up LED's and played Away in a manger and Silent Night. I really like all the trees, lights and decorations and celebrating winter but I am afraid to make Jesus upset by having things like that. I lose the joyful feeling seeing these things and feel guilty when I think of hurting Jesus' feelings. I would really like some input from you brothers and sisters.
I think that having these questions are not a bad thing and even though they may cause us some anxiety, I believe some of this anxiety is not necessarily bad and that God is always at work in us, to help us to grow in our relationship with Him. His word tells us that we are to examine ourselves to see whether we are in the faith, test yourselves. This I believe is something we should be doing daily as we put Him at the center of our lives. As we continue to grow in our knowledge of Him and trust Him, reverence Him and "sanctify Him in our hearts", which means to "make holy", "hallowed", allowing Him to occupy our hearts, loving Him and obeying Him and not allowing anything to crowd Him from the throne. We begin to see how He is changing us. We we're never meant to live separate from Him and He is to be the center of our entire lives, His name is to be esteemed holy everywhere.

God looks upon the heart! (1 Sam. 16: 7) Like so many other things we face everyday, if we are looking to Him for guidance and putting Him at the center of our lives in everything we do we will bring honor and glory to Him.

Therefore, (Prov. 3: 6) says: "In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths."

LisaJoe1986

Here's a funny little story about decorating for Christmas: Three years ago, our family decided that a fresh cut tree would be fun. It had been years since we had done this and I thought the experience of cutting the tree would be fun. Here's a tip: Make sure the tree farm where you cut your tree sprays the tree. Within 10 days of bringing the tree home, we had a praying mantis hatching and there were probably a thousand tiny mantises all over my living room. Within a week , we had another hatching and then shortly after we opened presents on Christmas morning, a third sac hatched and we had praying mantises dropping out of the tree. It took 10 minutes to unload the ornaments and lights and toss the tree into the yard! Needless to say, we are back to an artificial tree again. One really great thing about that year is that there was A LOT of praying going on in our home.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Tonight we will be seeing a Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Sugar Creek, Mo at 6 P.M. It is about 20-25 minutes from our house. It is always the 1st Saturday in December. They also have hot dogs, hot chocolate, and kettle corn for free. Free sleigh rides that last about 10 minutes, and things for the kids with Santa. It is held in a small park which is decorated with lights on the gazebo. Also, we will be checking out this house on Liberty St that does a big Christmas display with music.

Last edited: