Christmas Decorations and Celebrations

bblnizflln

Revelation 18:2
:treeDo we hurt Jesus' feelings when we put up trees and decorations for Christmas that likely had pagan origins? We were in Home Depot today and there were very few things that had to do with Jesus in the Christmas section. We did buy a manger scene that lit up LED's and played Away in a manger and Silent Night. I really like all the trees, lights and decorations and celebrating winter but I am afraid to make Jesus upset by having things like that. I lose the joyful feeling seeing these things and feel guilty when I think of hurting Jesus' feelings. I would really like some input from you brothers and sisters.

Watching and Waiting

Everyone will have different opinions on this subject.
Prior to being believers we had all the santa trappings. Enter salvation and the santas went. Presents came from us, no more Christmas ornaments etc. We still had the tree, ornaments - ones the kids made and ones that were Christian and ones that were just plain pretty. We had the pretty lights and we had the Nativity Story amongst others, we talked about Jesus and we thought about Him.

It is all about where your heart is, treat all the lights, the pretty things as a celebration of Christ the Saviour coming into the world and you can't go far wrong. :)

This forum is a place where we are Christians with an interest in end times, we are not Jesus's police. :) In my opinion Jesus would be hurt by you setting up a large pagan display and choosing that over Him, not by your desire to honour Him. :)

Enjoy the party, our Saviour came into the world to save us and that is reason enough to remember and celebrate. :)

bblnizflln

Revelation 18:2
This forum is a place where we are Christians with an interest in end times,
I know that and that's why I joined the board. But in the here and now I don't want to do more than I do to upset or disappoint Jesus.
we are not Jesus's police.
That would be a great job in the millennium though. Arresting the bad guys and taking them to Jesus. Bad boys, bad boys whacha gonna do...:cop

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
bblnizflln, I know very much your angst in regards to this subject. :nod My husband and I grew up being taught heavily about pagan origins of holidays, etc. and as adults and newer Christians we really had some confusing and conflicting feelings on this as we started our own family. There just were some things that we couldn't bring ourselves to do.

Romans was very helpful to us on this subject and I think this passage can apply to many situations:

Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them......One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. Romans 14:1-3, 5-6

I lose the joyful feeling seeing these things and feel guilty when I think of hurting Jesus' feelings.
Because of my background we just didn't feel right about having certain Christmas decor either, too much kicked in for us that we didn't want to feel that we were doing something wrong. So we talked about how we could make this time special for our family, honor God and also have a good conscience. However, that is just for me, my husband and our family.

At the same time we know with others, for them other traditions are an honoring thing in their hearts towards God and towards Christ and that's between them and God. We would never criticize them for the way they wish to honor God if it's different from our way during Christmas so as not to give a place of unnecessary worry or concern to another sincere Christian honoring God during this season.

So, if we are at a person's home who's got different decor than what we are comfortable with in our own home (because of our own conscious sake), we would simply acknowledge how beautiful the decor was and the idea to honor Christ, or say nothing. We know this is a precious, and for some, a strong family, Christian tradition that we would not want to prick their conscious where God would not intend for that to happen.

Those are my thoughts. Hope that's helpful to you. :)

Lynn

Longing for Home
Everlasting Life, your post regarding your family's thoughts about the celebration of Christmas is the most gracious, scripturally-based explanation that I've ever read. You are showing us what the Scriptures 'look like' while actually being lived out in a practical way. Thank you for sharing your wisdom in this matter.

RonJohnSilver

Decorations don't bother me, but personally I don't do any more than my wife makes me. I tried putting lights around the perimeter of the house one year, took me most of the day and, at the end, I had two female AC ends, which, you know, doesn't work. I took them all down and declared to the family that if they wanted lights, they could put them up themselves. I would get rid of the tree also, except family wants it and they put it up. Mostly, though, I have yet to see how I honor the Lord if I decorate my house like a cheap Hawaiian hotel.

Jonathan

Chuck Missler always loves quoting Jeremiah 10:4 when this subject comes up:

3 For the customs of the peoples are delusion; Because it is wood cut from the forest, The work of the hands of a craftsman with a cutting tool. 4"They decorate it with silver and with gold; They fasten it with nails and with hammers So that it will not totter.5"Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field are they, And they cannot speak; They must be carried, Because they cannot walk! Do not fear them, For they can do no harm, Nor can they do any good."…

(Emphasis mine).

His point, which is tongue in cheek, is that unless you attach some pagan meaning to the tree, it probably can't do harm any more than it can do good. For him, and I agree, it is a nostalgia thing. It reminds me of better, warmer times when I was a kid and adds atmosphere to the house. But at the end of the day, it is just a tree with lights, at least for me.

But I respect all views on the matter.

Andy C

Chuck Missler always loves quoting Jeremiah 10:4 when this subject comes up:

3 For the customs of the peoples are delusion; Because it is wood cut from the forest, The work of the hands of a craftsman with a cutting tool. 4"They decorate it with silver and with gold; They fasten it with nails and with hammers So that it will not totter.5"Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field are they, And they cannot speak; They must be carried, Because they cannot walk! Do not fear them, For they can do no harm, Nor can they do any good."…

(Emphasis mine).

His point, which is tongue in cheek, is that unless you attach some pagan meaning to the tree, it probably can't do harm any more than it can do good. For him, and I agree, it is a nostalgia thing. It reminds me of better, warmer times when I was a kid and adds atmosphere to the house. But at the end of the day, it is just a tree with lights, at least for me.

But I respect all views on the matter.
Fully concur.

bigmoose

I started staying "festive" all year round, about 5 years ago. I ran an underground wire out to a smaller tree a ways back from the house, and near the pasture/soy bean field, but one we can see from the living room/bed room. I have kept a spiral white light tree lit, a net of colored lights on the tree trunk, and a string of those great big bulbs from the 1950's strung on the limbs a glowing. It lifts my spirits to pull in on a dark night and see that little glow "out back..." and the twinkle as the leaves blow in front of the bulbs. It helps me to give thanks for another day, as I lay down to rest for the night.