Christianity is not in decline in America

cavalier973

Last edited:

ByGod'sGrace

Yes, that was in the back of my mind as well. I hope things are better than what I think.
I have been searching for a Bible-based, grace-based, theologically sound church for the past 5 years. The only one I've found is Neighborhood Church in Redding, so I listen to their podcasts and Jan Markel. Unfortunately, most of the churches I check out now are buildings, even campuses, with coffee bars, 15 minute pep talks, and lots of rock and roll theatrics...

savmom

I have been searching for a Bible-based, grace-based, theologically sound church for the past 5 years. The only one I've found is Neighborhood Church in Redding, so I listen to their podcasts and Jan Markel. Unfortunately, most of the churches I check out now are buildings, even campuses, with coffee bars, 15 minute pep talks, and lots of rock and roll theatrics...
And ashtrays in the back pews for smokers who can't wait 45 minutes and a place to store personalized beer mugs for the monthly Sunday kegger that takes place instead of services (no I am NOT kidding).

In our area the word "Chrisianity" means something entirely different than what the Bible describes it to be.......and it is a sad, scary, and disturbing type of different.

That article certainly does not apply to everywhere.

Without revealing our exact location, we live within shootin distance of a "vortex" nestled in "red rocks" and people are very "spiritual" but not in a Biblical sense. The last Church we attended was so secular I honestly thought I was going to vomit during the so called preaching by a "pastor" who was openly committing adultery with a very young member :confused::eek:

madcat

And ashtrays in the back pews for smokers who can't wait 45 minutes and a place to store personalized beer mugs for the monthly Sunday kegger that takes place instead of services (no I am NOT kidding).

In our area the word "Chrisianity" means something entirely different than what the Bible describes it to be.......and it is a sad, scary, and disturbing type of different.

That article certainly does not apply to everywhere.

Without revealing our exact location, we live within shootin distance of a "vortex" nestled in "red rocks" and people are very "spiritual" but not in a Biblical sense. The last Church we attended was so secular I honestly thought I was going to vomit during the so called preaching by a "pastor" who was openly committing adultery with a very young member :confused::eek:
Sadly, I think the whole US has this problem. I’m smack in the middle of the Bible Belt, and even what used to be a 1st Baptist church, has been taken over by a Bill/Lynn Hybel’s “pastor”. All about increasing attendance, Israel divestment, and “inclusiveness”.

Andy C

Its good to read more people attend church, but as others wrote, what “church” are they attending? Simply attending any church does not make one a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes one a car.
Its what YOU believe, and in Whom you believe in as your Savior, thats what makes one a Christian.

vbf

Attendance and participation may be increased, however, that is not an accurate measure of increases in true Christians and/or Christianity. I drive by a church every Sunday that packs in several hundred people x 4 services each Sunday and it's an itchy-ear, seeker-friendly church. It would be fantastic if these people were under true Bible teaching and preaching, however and sadly, the opposite is likely happening.

dave-o

"Christianity" may not be in decline, but I dare to venture & say that at least some churches (perhaps many) are not full of true Christians, but rather an apostate version of Christianity.
I agree that sitting in a church makes you Christian as much as sitting in your garage makes you a car! But 1 quote from the OP article"
It is extremely likely that if your church teaches the Bible with seriousness, calls its people to real discipleship, and encourages daily intimacy with God, it has multiple services to handle the coming crowds.
I think that is very true.

ByGod'sGrace

Its good to read more people attend church, but as others wrote, what “church” are they attending? Simply attending any church does not make one a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes one a car.
Its what YOU believe, and in Whom you believe in as your Savior, thats what makes one a Christian.
YES!! The thing that hurts is that other church-goers have said things like how I need to go to church and serve, otherwise my faith isn't strong and/or I am not a good Christian and/or I am disobeying God because He said to not forsake the gathering together of other believers. :-( I think the motivations for our actions and serving should be done out of love, and serving God can be anything and everything where we can show love and kindness, in every moment of our life. I've had the most meaningful theological discussions on this board than in any church I've gone to in the past 5 years, and have had more honest prayer requests and connection than I've ever had in a real church. It is just interesting how things have been deconstructed into what people can say is church or not church, what is considered being a good Christian or a bad Christian (when that concept isn't even in the Bible, only a believer being willfully disobedient and falling out of fellowship with God by choosing to engage in sin).

ByGod'sGrace

One of the new church start-ups in Monterey has a Pub & Theology night where they meet at a bar and question things in the Bible (I never went, but my friend did, and one of the discussions my friend told me was that they talked how evolution could be true and how the Bible is open to interpretation). I just don't see how trying to conform with the world to bring people in is a good idea.

Last edited:

Anewcreationinjesus

One of the new church start-ups in Monterey has a Pub & Theology night where they meet at a bar and question things in the Bible (I never went, but my friend did, and one of the discussions my friend told me was that they talked how evolution could be true). I just don't see how trying to conform with the world in every way, even discussing that what the Bible says might be false, to bring people in is a good idea. :-(

Last edited: