Christian teen forced to write Islamic conversion prayer

Kenny64

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendmen...jected-to-islam-study-in-world-history-course

February 21, 2019 by David L. Hudson Jr.

Public school officials in Maryland did not violate the religious liberty or free-speech rights of a former high school student by speaking about Islam in world history class or requiring the student to complete homework that covered Islam, a federal appeals court has ruled.
Caleigh Wood took a world history course at La Plata High School in Charles County, Maryland. The courses covered the time period from 1500 to the present and covered a variety of subjects. One of the units in the course was “The Muslim World.”
Wood’s teacher presented a PowerPoint lecture that contained the following statement: “Most Muslim’s [sic] faith is stronger than the average Christian.” This comparative faith statement offended Wood and her parents.
Wood also had to complete a worksheet that required students to fill in the blanks. One of the questions was the statement: “There is no god by Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.” This statement is known as the shahada.
Woods’ father told her daughter not to complete these assignments. This resulted in Woods receiving a lower percentage grade but did not affect her final numerical grade. She later sued, alleging a violation of both the Establishment Clause and the Free Speech Clause of the First Amendment.
A federal district court dismissed both claims. On appeal, a three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously affirmed in Wood v. Arnold.
Court finds that world history course had a secular purpose, not an endorsement of religion
The appeals court first addressed the Establishment Clause claim. Wood had argued that the school officials endorsed Islam over Christianity with the comparative faith statement and unconstitutionally advanced religion by forcing her to write the shahada.
The 4th Circuit panel applied the three-part Lemon test from the Supreme Court’s decision in Lemon v. Kurtzman. The Lemon test requires that the government have a secular purpose, not primarily advance or inhibit religion, and not excessively entangle government with religion.
Applying this test, the panel determined that the school officials had the secular purpose of studying religion on a comparative basis. “The unit did not focus exclusively on Islam’s core principles,” the panel wrote. “Nothing in the record indicates that the comparative faith statement was made with a subjective purpose of advancing Islam over Christianity, or for any other predominately religious purpose.”
The panel also found that the fill-in-the-blank question had the secular purpose of conveying a variety of information about Islam. “This is precisely the sort of academic exercise that the Supreme Court has indicated would not run afoul of the Establishment Clause.”
For the second prong of the Lemon test – the “effects” prong – the panel framed the issue under endorsement. The question is whether a reasonable observer would view the academic exercises as impermissible governmental endorsement of religion.
The panel reasoned that these academic materials “do not amount to an endorsement of religion,” as there was no suggestion that students adopt those beliefs as their own. The primary effect was “to teach comparative religion, not to endorse any religious belief.”
The final prong of the Lemon test is the entanglement prong. “We need not dwell long on the entanglement prong,” the panel wrote, emphasizing that the curriculum only spent five days on the Muslim world in this world history course.
Court: Student's free speech not violated by question about Islam on assignment
The panel next addressed Wood’s free-speech claim.
She claimed that the school officials violated her free-speech rights by compelling her to write about Islam in the fill-in-the-blank assignment. The panel emphasized that a student’s free-speech rights are limited when it comes to the “classroom setting in which a student is asked to study and discuss materials with which she disagrees.” The panel reasoned that writing two words in a fill-in-blank assignment falls far short of a compelled speech violation.

https://www.foxnews.com/faith-value...een-forced-to-write-islamic-conversion-prayer

One of the religious liberty cases the Supreme Court Justices won't be hearing this term is the issue of Maryland High School student Caleigh Wood, who refused to take part in a school assignment to write the Islamic conversion prayer that states “… there is no god but Allah,” because she believed it directly contradicted her Christian faith.
The High Court denied a petition filed on behalf of the 11th grader, angering one conservative commentator who saw it as caving in to the indoctrination in schools and on college campuses.

Richard Thompson, president and chief counsel of Thomas More Law Center, which filed the petition on Wood’s behalf said, “The schools are promoting Islam over Christianity or any other religion, and you have a double standard, which we think is a violation of the establishment clause.” Thompson also said in the firm’s press release, “Under the pretext of teaching history or social studies, public schools across America are promoting the religion of Islam in ways that would never be tolerated for Christianity or any other religion.”
Thompson said that on top of getting an F in the class, Wood was also made to watch a pro-Islam “PowerPoint presentation that denigrated her religion and basically said that Christians are not as faithful as Muslims. So we strongly believed that this was a violation.”

The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in February that the assignment to write the Islamic conversion prayer ... did not violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.
Charles County Public Schools released a statement after the Supreme Court's denial saying, “The decision reaffirms a favorable U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit ruling earlier this year that the school did not “impermissibly endorse any religion and did not compel Wood to profess any belief.”
One Muslim scholar strongly disagrees. Zuhdi Jasser, president of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, said: “They made this the student recite the Islamic call to call of witness a prayer, which makes her a Muslim. That's absurd.”

Jasser said the High Court should have taken the case. He said it would have been an opportunity to challenge the ideologies of a brand of Islam that has produced ISIS and other terror groups.

Andy C

Reborn to fly
More craziness.

There are more and more of these type of stories, which to me is just another sign of end times.

We have been warned brothers and sisters. Persecution is coming if not already here.

2 Timothy 3:12

Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,

Matthew 5:44
But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

John 15:18
“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.

1 Peter 4:12-14
Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.

1 Peter 3:17
For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.
1 Peter 3:16
Having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

1 John 3:13
Do not be surprised, brothers, that the world hates you.

Luke 6:22
“Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man!

Matthew 5:10
“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven

No matter how crazy and anti God a story is, it can in no way prohibit me from sharing my faith, or walking in the Spirit. I know that evil is trying to surround all Christians. Put on the full armor of God daily, and dont let yourself be dejected by these type of situations. We already know Who wins the battle, we just need to try and add more to the winning team.

Mish

:apostasy Oh no you don’t, federal district court individuals!!!

“Wood’s teacher presented a power-point lecture that contained the following statement : most Muslim’s {sic} faith is stronger than the average Christian”.

Really? Prove it!

That is not a factual statement, that is Opinion-based!! And therefore it IS an attempt to sway the beliefs of other people! Who in their right mind can say that teacher wasn’t engaged in persuasive insinuation?

I’m a teacher and a teacher should always make a loud and clear point to their students if you are leaving Facts and entering into the Opinion domain!!

:reaction (Btw, it is my opinion that I am not over-reacting to this news article!!)

Mish

More craziness.

There are more and more of these type of stories, which to me is just another sign of end times.

We have been warned brothers and sisters. Persecution is coming if not already here.

2 Timothy 3:12

Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,

Matthew 5:44
But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

John 15:18
“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.

1 Peter 4:12-14
Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.

1 Peter 3:17
For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.
1 Peter 3:16
Having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

1 John 3:13
Do not be surprised, brothers, that the world hates you.

Luke 6:22
“Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man!

Matthew 5:10
“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven

No matter how crazy and anti God a story is, it can in no way prohibit me from sharing my faith, or walking in the Spirit. I know that evil is trying to surround all Christians. Put on the full armor of God daily, and dont let yourself be dejected by these type of situations. We already know Who wins the battle, we just need to try and add more to the winning team.
Thank-you for writing that, I needed to read it a few more times and it helped me calm down. I was having quite the argument, yelling at my iPad!

:thankyou,
Andy!

Kenny64

This court is wrong, their decision is not logical but instead, its political correctness.

There is no chance I would have let my child participate, regardless of the impact on a graded assignment.
The schools don't ask students to Write out the Lord's Prayer either. Oh Students can't even pray in classroom settings.

• 1963 -- ABINGTON SCHOOL DIST. v. SCHEMPP -- banned school-directed recital of the Lord's Prayer and reading of Bible passages as part of "devotional exercises" in public schools.
  • 1980 -- STONE v. GRAHAM -- banned the posting of the the Ten Commandments on public school classroom walls.
  • 1985 -- WALLACE v. JAFFREE -- banned observance of "daily moments of silence" from public schools when students were encouraged to pray during the silent periods.
  • 1990 -- WESTSIDE COMMUNITY BOARD. OF EDUCATION. v. MERGENS -- held that schools must allow student prayer groups to organize and worship if other non-religious clubs are also permitted to meet on school property.
  • 1992 -- LEE v. WEISMAN -- outlawed prayers led by members of the clergy at public school graduation ceremonies.
  • 2000 -- SANTA FE INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT v. DOE -- banned student-led pre-game prayers at public high school football games.

Last edited:

Kenny64

yes Andy, I agree

Matthew 12:34-37 You snakes! You are evil people, so how can you say anything good? The mouth speaks the things that are in the heart. Good people have good things in their hearts, and so they say good things. But evil people have evil in their hearts, so they say evil things. And I tell you that on the Judgment Day people will be responsible for every careless thing they have said. The words you have said will be used to judge you. Some of your words will prove you right, but some of your words will prove you guilty.”

I was looking for this. I post here in part to keep my sanity.

Acts 5:29 - "But Peter and the apostles answered and said, We must obey God rather than men."

Last edited:

twerpv

Of course none of this is ‘fair’ and isn’t logical either. I think that these things (and others) are God’s way of making it more clear by the day, which side you are choosing. I believe He will continue to make the difference between Holy and unholy more and more obvious and plain.
When one choose the MOB, it won’t be due to being tricked or not knowing you are on purpose not choosing God

RobinMc

One of the questions was the statement: “There is no god by Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.” This statement is known as the shahada.

I would have marked out some words and replaced with my own. There is no God but the Great I AM and Jesus is His Son.
Take the F. Make a statement. Refuse to bend. Speak to your classmates about it, make the school/teacher regret they ever started this battle.

Mikedexion

I don't think I would have sent this to court if it were my child especially since she still passed her overall grade. But I agree this is basically a sleight of hand with a subtle forcing of Islamic lies into schools. There was another report of a 7th grader having to do the same thing. By God's grace I will not have to raise a child into the public school indoctrination system. I would probably ask my child write a footnote in place of the answer which says

"I do not believe in any aspects of the Muslim faith. Due to the convictions of my conscience I believe that Jesus Christ is the exact image and the Son of God, who is the creator of heaven, earth, and everything inbetween. But to fill out the curriculum Muslim's believe there is no god but Allah and that muhammad is the messenger of allah."

Last edited: