Christian friend following false prophets

kjay11

Last week, one of my good friends shot me a text recommending that I start listening to Kat Kerr. Specifically, it was a "sermon" about what to expect in Heaven. I had never heard of this person before, so I opened the link. After about 3 minutes, I got what can only be described as an "anti-whoosh" and quit listening. It was about when Kat started talking about God picking people up in a starship when they die and taking them on a tour of the cosmos. (!) I feel like I have a decent level of discernment, but wanted a second opinion. So I took the recording to my Christian therapist, didn't tell her who she was listening to, and waited for her response. It was the same as mine.

Yesterday my friend asked me what I thought. I tried to downplay my response somewhat and just said that the lady was a wack-a-doodle. She started talking more about what Kat had said about Heaven. Finally, I had to just interrupt her and say that nothing this woman had said was Biblical. And if she was indeed a prophet, then wouldn't her proclamation of Trump being restored to the White House this spring have come true? She just shrugged it off and said God gives us all different gifts. She then went on to say that she had applied to for a position on Kat Kerr's show...or whatever it is.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe she is "legit". But if I'm right, I feel like I have said what needed to be said. I didn't risk our relationship. But I voiced my concerns. Should I have done anything differently? Or do anything else?

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Here's some passages that may be helpful:

You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?” If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed. Deuteronomy 18:21-22

If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,” you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. Deuteronomy 13:1-4

But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping. 2 Peter 2:1-2

As far as my comment about staying away from false prophets, I was referring to Kat Kerr's teachings, I agree with thatguygeek's shared passage, to prayerfully seek to help your friend. And, prayerfully consider any boundaries, if/when needed. :hug

kjay11

You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?” If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed. Deuteronomy 18:21-22
This is EXACTLY what I was referring to when I told her about how Kat Kerr had "prophesied" about Trump!

Like I said....I only listened for about 3 minutes. And then heard what my friend told me about her. In the scheme of things, misrepresenting Heaven as having malls and amusement parks doesn't really matter much to me either way. But it's the other stuff that she may sneak into her shows that worries me. I'm not going to listen to her to even come up with those kind of examples.

I just wish my friend...who is a strong Christian and VERY involved in her church...could see the truth. But like I said, I don't want to sever or harm our relationship over it.

Neonap

There are many who "claim" to have gone to heaven or hell, I would personally just stick with Scriptures. Some of these experiences are not biblical or even contradict one another. Remember, Paul couldn't describe his experience in Heaven nor could the Rich man have Lazarus rise up from the dead to warn his brothers.

People who have these experiences try to sell books as well which is highly suspect imo.

Lynn

Longing for Home
I just wish my friend...who is a strong Christian and VERY involved in her church
Sorry to have to say this, but your friend is an untaught Christian and is badly in need of discipleship from a genuinely strong Christian who has a high level of discernment. She also probably needs to find a new church. Most likely she's sitting under the teaching of a charismatic leader with a strong personality and very little accurate biblical knowledge. Pray for her eyes to be opened to the deception all around her. She's blessed to have you as a friend.