China EMP attack

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
For some reason or other I've never worried about an EMP attack on the USA. When I was a wee lad in elementary school I was taught to worry about a nuculear bomb attack on us, but as an adult I don't worry about that either. I guess today has troubles enough of its own, and that's especially true in the year 2020. I do worry that in a couple of years we could look back on 2020 and wish we were there again in the relative peace of and security of that year...

Lovin Jesus

For some reason or other I've never worried about an EMP attack on the USA. When I was a wee lad in elementary school I was taught to worry about a nuculear bomb attack on us, but as an adult I don't worry about that either. I guess today has troubles enough of its own, and that's especially true in the year 2020. I do worry that in a couple of years we could look back on 2020 and wish we were there again in the relative peace of and security of that year...
Uhum. I remember those take cover under your desk drills at school, preparing for Russia’s attack

Footsteps

You have to review post #48 to uncover the popcorn reference. Not that it's worth the search. I look for puns and other obscure references for a joke. Some jokes "bomb" (there I go again). Cornpop jokes are better, but not enough to be worth the effort to remember them. I always have trouble getting laughs when the subject is global nuclear annihilation. I need to lighten up (there I go again).

Lovin Jesus

You have to review post #48 to uncover the popcorn reference. Not that it's worth the search. I look for puns and other obscure references for a joke. Some jokes "bomb" (there I go again). Cornpop jokes are better, but not enough to be worth the effort to remember them. I always have trouble getting laughs when the subject is global nuclear annihilation. I need to lighten up (there I go again).
Lol oh no. It’s not that you bombed, it that it flew over my big head lol. I’ll read it again. I do get most of your funnies. You make me laugh

yrrek

I have a whole house generator and if an emp would happen it would get fried like everything else. If it somehow survived, all the wires in the house and electronics would be fried. The only way to protect it would to put the whole house in a farade cage.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I have a whole house generator and if an emp would happen it would get fried like everything else. If it somehow survived, all the wires in the house and electronics would be fried. The only way to protect it would to put the whole house in a farade cage.
An EMP wouldn't fry the wires but a Nuculear blast would melt them...

UmbrellaGirl

Welp, I just learned that generators are essentially useless in an EMP attack scenario. Guess I can throw away the outrageously expensive quote I just got for one :pie
My parents have a hard-wired generator, which works great during ordinary power outages. But yes, unfortunately, generators would be useless in an EMP attack...

UmbrellaGirl

A Faraday Cage.

Anything that uses solid state electronics is vulnerable. Old school electromechanical stuff should work just fine afterwards. The electromagnetic pulse (or a CME event) would destroy the sensitive electronics. A Coronal Mass Ejection from the sun can accomplish the same damaging effect. The latter would fit in nature rising up as with the end times.

What to power? A/C. Popcorn popper??

EDIT/ADD: It started raining here awhile ago in SE Texas during hurricane season. So let me add pumping water!

Lights are nice too, but being the only one with a generator really makes you a target.
Yes, it would make one a target for the liberal zombies.

JSTyler

Well if the studies I've read are factual and actual we would have three days to get to a "safe" place in hopes to survive what comes next, seven days before food, water and essentials run out in major urban regions resulting in extreme violence breaking out and about fourteen days before complete civil collapse and absolute anarchy happens. To make matters more sunny and give you the warm and fuzzies. No matter how quickly or slowly our society descends into chaos, in the event of emp or cme, the end results are catastrophic and irreversible from the moment it happens. Our worldly lives are dependent on systems that are far too complex to survive even small hiccups.

However, we just need to recall where our focus should be placed. Matthew 6 right around verse 24 and onwards. What a grand adventure it would be, one that we know how it ends.

Narrow Path

Mixed feelings on this. As a big believer in emergency preparedness, the vulnerability of the grid was something I definitely tried to prepare for. I even had a blog based around the premise of Christian agrarian, grid down gardening. I retired it, but if anyone is interested - https://growingfromscratch.wordpress.com/2017/09/

The viability of an EMP is very real, no doubt. But my concerns about it have shifted somewhat. I don’t think an EMP can be reconciled with prophecy. A strike like the one described in the article would be an existential event. The U.S. as a nation would cease to be. Millions would die within the first few weeks. I used to think perhaps that explained why the U.S. is absent from eschatological mention.

But then you have to think about the side effects. If America is rendered to such a useless, unproductive state what happens to the Chinese economy when we are no longer buying their cheap goods? What happens to all the nations America helps defend, and those we prop up with billions in financial aid? I think an EMP attack of the U.S. would essentially be an existential attack on much of the world. I don’t see how that level of worldwide devastation fits in prophecy prior to the rapture. The one world order, Antichrist system needs a functioning America I believe.

So my thoughts have shifted towards cyber warfare. It seems more logical that the way to subdue a super power without destroying it would be by cyber. You could extort a nation into submission by hacking into its power grid infrastructure, yet keeping it productive and useful.

Last edited: