Children at Rapture

LisaJoe1986

I bet this has been answered before but it doesn't come up in a search. What will happen to all the children at the rapture? Many have said that if they are not to the age of accountability, they will go. I am quite sure there were many children that were destroyed during the great flood and also in Sodom when it was judged. Why would this judgement be any different?

Anewcreationinjesus

This is one of the biggie questions ... With all the vileness aimed at kids now I really really really hope they are rescued too!!!

Each day that passes I get increasingly angry at things forced on kids... And if we get angry, how much more angry must God the Father on the throne be???

Last edited:

Mary Cole

I bet this has been answered before but it doesn't come up in a search. What will happen to all the children at the rapture? Many have said that if they are not to the age of accountability, they will go. I am quite sure there were many children that were destroyed during the great flood and also in Sodom when it was judged. Why would this judgement be any different?
The children may have died in the flood, but that doesn't mean they didn't go to Abraham's Bosom (Paradise, where all who loved and obeyed God before the crucifixion went). Jesus went to Paradise after He died, and during the ressurection, He took all those who were with Him in Paradise up to Heaven.

Andy C

We have had many discussions on this forum about the age of accountability. I agree with the below from Jack

Question: We recently had a discussion with others concerning young children whose parents are Christians and would be taken at the Rapture. The question arose as to whether the children – quite young, would go to heaven by the Rapture or would they be left on this earth to go thru the tribulation.

John 3:16 says “Whosoever believeth..” but the problem is young children may not fully understand what that means. Can you give us some scriptural light on this?

Answer: Many evangelical teachers, myself included, believe that at the Rapture all children including those still in the womb will be taken regardless of the spiritual condition of their parents.

This comes from Paul’s statement that once he was alive apart from the Law and then when He came under the law sin sprang to life and he died. (Romans 7:9) I believe he was saying that he had eternal life as a child, but when he reached the age of accountability he became responsible for his sins and needed a Savior.

To me this means that God does not hold children accountable for their sins and considers them qualified for the Rapture.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/children-and-the-rapture/

Vertigo

I think the "age of accountability" for each children will be different based on their cognitive ability and their exposure to the gospel.

I made a decision for Christ at a very young age. 4 years old, in fact. Are most 4 year olds capable of understanding the depth of placing your faith in Jesus? Presumably not.

If they are old enough to have made that decision, their sin must be atoned for or they cannot enter the Kingdom.

Salluz

When we look at the examples of Noah and Lot, it wasn't just them taken but also their children. At the very least it seems we can assume the children of believers would go in the rapture if they were too young to have made a decision about Jesus for themselves.

Kem

Citizen
At the very least it seems we can assume the children of believers would go in the rapture if they were too young to have made a decision about Jesus for themselves.
Your thoughts on this have occurred to me also. Could 1 Corinthians 7:14 give us any light on this topic? Not sure if there is any application but....For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

Vertigo

When we look at the examples of Noah and Lot, it wasn't just them taken but also their children. At the very least it seems we can assume the children of believers would go in the rapture if they were too young to have made a decision about Jesus for themselves.
I doubt that children of believers would have some kind of advantage over children of non-believers

Andy C

I doubt that children of believers would have some kind of advantage over children of non-believers
Scripture is quite clear only those saved will be taken in the rapture. Where its not so clear, is if the age of accountability is real, or wishful thinking on our part. Personally, I believe there must be some age where we are held accountable. I find it would go against what we know about God, through the Holy Word, that God would condemn those not old enough to make a intelligent decision to believe. Therefore, I agree with you that the status of any child's parents being saved or unsaved would not have any affect on their children in regards to being taken or left behind. All that are mentally able to do so, must choose for themselves.

JSTyler

God's timeless nature has to factor in on this. He knows all things, from all possible time (time being our dilemma, not His), always and all at once. He is, He was and He is to come. No child born, or yet unborn regardless of their present state, condition or parenting, that is named in the Lamb's Book of Life will be lost.

In other words...Rapture them all and let God sort them out. He knows exactly what He is doing, to God be the glory, amen.

Now for pure, hypothetical speculation (I'm not gifted with a whole lot of smarts in this field) And please feel free to ignore what follows as pure nerdy goofiness...

If there are are, from our perspective, such possibilities as determinate/indeterminate probabilities, God would know every possible outcome. He knows every decision every individual human would make, could make, did make or didn't make and has, is or will welcome or reject based on His righteous will and knowledge/foreknowledge. Think, Schrodinger's Cat and or Heisenberg's uncertainty principle but from an In the beginning God... perspective.

Saved and Waiting

From Jack at Gracethrufaith:

Home » Ask a Bible Teacher » Children In The Rapture
Q
Some people teach that all children under the age of accountability will be raptured, but I am having trouble reconciling this with scripture. If we use things in the OT as “types” I cannot make it fit, e.g. in the flood only Noah and his family were saved out of it, but presumably any children under the age of accountability who died would go to be with the Lord, but they still suffered physical death.

Also with Lot and his family being taken out of Sodom, the children under the age of accountability were not taken out but suffered physical death, even though they then would go to be with the Lord.

Surely it will be the same with the rapture; any children that die in the Tribulation under the age of accountability will go to be with the Lord and those that reach the age of accountability will have the opportunity to receive salvation. Can you shed any light on this? Thank you so much.

A
One of the reasons that Old Testament types are also called shadows, is that like the shadows we see, they exist in outline form only and are not clear in their detail.

Case in point. God promised Abraham that he would not judge the righteous with the wicked in Sodom and Gomorrah. Lot and his family were removed and became a model for removing the church before the Great Tribulation. You really can’t take the comparison any further.

By the way, Noah and his family are not a type of the Rapture, but rather for the faithful of Israel being preserved through the Great Tribulation. For a type of the Rapture in the Great Flood, look to Enoch who was taken alive into heaven before the flood came.

Since we’re not given all the specifics about the Rapture we can only make educated guesses about some things. Matthew 18:10 hints that God views all children as belonging to Him. Paul confirms this in Romans by saying that he had eternal life until he reached the age of accountability. (Romans 7:9) From this, many (but not all) theologians deduce that all children will go in the rapture.(end of answer).

To me, those who do not go in the Rapture are those who have heard what it takes to be saved (the Gospel) and have rejected Christ. Those who are not mentally able to understand the Gospel, and accept Christ's death for them, are not held accountable for what they cannot understand and God sees them as already belonging to Him.

Batfan7

I liked the scripture that says that "all those whose names are NOT blotted out of the lamb's book of Life"... To me, this says that everyone starts out life in this book, but can then be blotted out. And if you don't believe a genuinely saved person can lose their salvation, then this can clearly be applied to the time of conception (name recorded), up until accountability and subsequent rejection of gospel and death (blotted out).

ItIsFinished!

I liked the scripture that says that "all those whose names are NOT blotted out of the lamb's book of Life"... To me, this says that everyone starts out life in this book, but can then be blotted out. And if you don't believe a genuinely saved person can lose their salvation, then this can clearly be applied to the time of conception (name recorded), up until accountability and subsequent rejection of gospel and death (blotted out).
Can you expound upon this please.
Thank you.