Cheap thrills in drugstore makeup. Share your best finds!

cheeky200386

--about price-- I was thinking of earlier me, the one who had to think twice about a 5$ lipstick in case I made a mistake on the shade. It's great when we can enjoy a higher price point, and it's awesome when we have the experience with that higher price point so we can recommend an equal or better quality product at a lower price point.

So no problems with talking higher end, keeping in mind that not all of us want to spend that kind of money for whatever reason. Still it's good to know if someone has tried both and can say that Lash Paradise mascara is VERY GOOD and better than Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir, Tarte's LCL or Clinique's High Impact. Which I am confident about now. LOVE THAT STUFF.

Because earlier me couldn't afford too much in the way of mistake purchases. But I still wanted and needed lipstick, and eyebrow pencils and mascara.

I have some drugstore foundations I like -- I mentioned 2 -- the Revlon original Candid, not the glowy one and the Loreal Age Perfect Serum Foundation both of which are extremely comfy to wear, light as air, and pretty good at evening things out. They'd need a concealer for anything major. The Revlon is only 22 ml while the Loreal is a full 30 ml size and they both go on sale here in Canada for about 14 to 15$. They stack up nicely against bareMinerals Complexion Rescue which I also have and love and use. I like those 3 (and Mac F&B) way better than IT CC cream which is at Sephora and in the same category and performance. IT CC is nice but feels thick and heavy and irritates my skin a bit which I think is due to some of the ingredients.

The Loreal is the best value. And it is supposed to be comparable to the Estee Lauder Futurist Hydra Rescue which finally launched in Canada but has spf 45 of a chemical spf so I doubt I will bother trying it to see.

If I want solid performance, great coverage and lasts all day and half the night, Estee Lauder Double Wear is superb. But apply with a wet sponge or it can go on cakey, and make it a cheap sponge because that stuff stains permanently. I just tossed out my last bottles of ELDW due to the fact they've been open way too long because I don't use that type of foundation any more.

At 64 I'm liking the light weight skin like glowy stuff.

Mac Face and Body is my other favourite in that light glowy skin like category and is pretty close in Canada anyway to drugstore prices when you price it out by the ml or the oz. It is 50 ml rather than the usual 30 ml. I don't even powder it, and it looks like my skin but better and lasts all day. Comes off my nose a little bit like they all do because I have allergies, -- blowing my nose several times a day will cut into the coverage but of all 4 the F&B is the long term winner for lasting power. It goes on long after Complexion Rescue is disappearing. Outlasts Loreal and the Revlon Candid by a little bit too. Never looks overdone either.

Rimmel's 24 hour one was great and it covered to about a nice medium coverage and wore beautifully except it had chemical sunscreen and I reacted. How I found out chemical spf and me don't get along. The Loreal Age Perfect has a bit of chemical spf but not the ones I reacted to in the Rimmel.

I'm loving my Milani baked and powder blushes. In the baked dome shaped line Berry Amore is the same shade on my cheeks as the MUCH more expensive Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk blush and it is a better formula than the Charlotte T. The same little bit of glow, the same shade, but doesn't make my sunspot side look blotchy while the CT one I have to be pretty careful applying it. PrimaVera is a beautiful pale nude pink for pale gals. I like Luminoso, it's a definite peachy pink with some nice shimmer. It isn't a dupe of the dubious famous NARS O one that it's supposed to dupe. It's better and nicer but a different more peach shade than the NARS one. In the Milani Rose imprinted blushes, I had Romantic Rose and it's dupe-- Tarte's Exposed. Of the 2 I prefer Romantic Rose. I gave it away though to someone who liked it and couldn't afford it. I want to buy it again.

And their eye primer wins against the others for price and performance as I mentioned up thread.

Maybelline's Age Rewind Concealer is a pretty great concealer around the eyes-- I like it better than most high end-- the one with the sponge tip. that stuff is gorgeous. And in a pinch it can double as a decent eye primer too. Although I'd go for Milani if I was in hot sweaty conditions.

I love Milani blushes (I have luminoso) and the eye primer you recommended.

Amity

Rachel it's so good to see you again (still praying for you). :hug

Ok a good non drying balm type sheer moisturizing lipstick that I have and love and highly recommend is the L"Oreal ColorRiche Shine lipsticks in 904 Varnished Rosewood. It looks dark in the tube but goes on with a nice semi sheer berry tint. It's in the pretty clear crystal looking tubes with a silver top and bottom and a gold rim in the middle. I'm most ways thru the one I have, and I think (hope) I have a spare from my purse. I like to have that one always on hand because it's really more like a balm or a solid lipgloss in stick form. Staying power, mmmm yeah, maybe a couple of hours. Maybe. But while it hangs in, my lips feel great.

I got onto it from Emily Noel on YouTube who always recommends it. I'm a lot paler than she is but it looks great on me too so I think it might look good on a lot of different skin tones. It's a LITTLE bit like Clinique's Black Honey stuff and the inner lipstick tube is shaped the same with the holder hugging the sides of the lipstick so it doesn't squish out of shape.

I find the Maybelline Lip Ink Crayons are quite nice and not drying on my lips and last thru all kinds of situations. The day I went to the dentist it hung in there thru everything. I just bought another of my favourite shade Lead the Way in that one. I apply it over top Mac Prep and Prime Lip Primer which is like a traditional waxy balm and moisturizes the lips well so that might affect how I perceive it. I'm planning on picking up Trust Your Gut on the next sale with Maybelline at the drugstore.
:hug. Good to see you too!!

Thanks I'll check those out.

athenasius

Hmmm in my quest to plumb the depths of L'Oreal's inventory in my Rexall drugstore, I just "happened" to be in there last Tuesday for Senior Discount Day and found not one but TWO really nice creamy moisturizing lipsticks.

The new ColourRiche Nude Intense line in rose gold shiny square cases. I got 173 Nu Impertinent and 181 Nu Intense. They both remind me a LOT of my Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk, in that sort of mauve undertoned peachy muted look. The sales clerk who was showing them to me dropped one and dented it, so I got both. Turns out the dented one was my favourite.

On the DOWNSIDE they have a bit of a scent. Not the classic L'Oreal lipstick stink, but a milder floral lighter version of that stench so it goes away sooner. It is the downside of most of L'Oreal's lipsticks with the exception of the ColourRiche Shine balm lipsticks like the one I have in 904 Varnished Rosewood.

The other downside is that these won't last thru lunch let alone a good solid hour wearing a face mask. But your lips will feel good. And they didn't work their way up into my lip lines. And they don't roll off the counter! Square shapes are good.

In case any of my makeup loving sisters on RF need another lipstick recommendation.

I'm having WAY too much fun at the drugstore on Senior Tuesdays.

Last edited:

ShilohRose

I would like to use drugstore lipsticks, but the ones I've tried make my lips peel, and they start peeling within a few minutes of application. This is true of most of the high end lipsticks or department store lipsticks as well. I wish I knew what ingredient it was that causes it. Bobbi Brown and Clinique were two of the worst offenders. I keep most of my lipstick purchases to a few makeup lines. It's been awhile since I've tried any drugstore lipsticks though, so I might give one a try the next time I go in. There is a very beautiful young woman on the forbidden video website, who reviews drugstore makeup almost exclusively, (with an occasional foray into baby stuff and weight loss) except when she is duping something. Her channel goes by the name Zabrena.

athenasius

I would like to use drugstore lipsticks, but the ones I've tried make my lips peel, and they start peeling within a few minutes of application. This is true of most of the high end lipsticks or department store lipsticks as well. I wish I knew what ingredient it was that causes it. Bobbi Brown and Clinique were two of the worst offenders. I keep most of my lipstick purchases to a few makeup lines. It's been awhile since I've tried any drugstore lipsticks though, so I might give one a try the next time I go in. There is a very beautiful young woman on the forbidden video website, who reviews drugstore makeup almost exclusively, (with an occasional foray into baby stuff and weight loss) except when she is duping something. Her channel goes by the name Zabrena.
I LOVE Zabrena, she's a heartfelt Christian too, I watch ANY THING she posts, love her. Oh the peeling lips I get that from some, the worst for me is Milani, but Revlon lip butters now discontinued were bad, and honestly yes some of the Clinique did it too. I never tried Bobbi Brown.

Leigh

Since this is a long, popular thread, I haven't read through it to see if this might have already been discussed:

What's up with eye shadows?

I was in Target today looking to replace an old Cover Girl quad shadow that's a few years old, and CG had practically NO shadows (there may have been 3 choices - NOTHING like in the past). Then I started looking around at other brands, and there was very little eyeshadow at all. The few I did see were palettes full of many colors (more than I ever would need) and more pricey.

Has anybody noticed this? Target has a pretty big selection of makeup, so are companies just not producing eyeshadow like they used to? Or should I look somewhere else?

Last edited:

penbrat

Since this is a long, popular thread, I haven't read through it to see if this might have already been discussed:

I was in Target today looking to replace an old Cover Girl quad shadow that's a few years old, and CG had practically NO shadows (there may have been 3 choices - NOTHING like in the past). Then I started looking around at other brands, and there was very little eyeshadow at all. The few I did see were palettes full of many colors (more than I ever would need) and more pricey.

Has anybody noticed this? Target has a pretty big selection of makeup, so are companies just not producing eyeshadow like they used to? Or should I look somewhere else?
I noticed the same thing at Meijers. Not sure what the deal is

athenasius

I noticed the same thing at Meijers. Not sure what the deal is
I think I have an explanation.So the high end stuff at Sephora has been doing bigger palettes of eyeshadow for some time. When that started I noticed Rimmel and Loreal and a few others got on that band wagon. And just lately all those nice little 4 pan or 3 pan eyeshadows just disappeared.

I think Cover Girl and Maybelline want people to buy a bigger set or people just buy them more and leave the little guys alone so they are being pulled.

It's a crying shame because some of them like Cover Girl's Shimmering Sands have been around in one form or another since the late 60s and they are a great tiny easy to pack small light way to fix your eyes on a trip (or overnight in a purse)

ThankfulMom

I'm glad it's not just me who misses the three and four pan eyeshadow. All Ulta seems to carry are the eyeshadow palettes with 40 different colors (of which four or five will actually be used). The teenage me would have been excited over a big pallette and could get away with off beat colors, but the 50+ me wants something more portable and colors that won't make me look clownish.

athenasius

I'm glad it's not just me who misses the three and four pan eyeshadow. All Ulta seems to carry are the eyeshadow palettes with 40 different colors (of which four or five will actually be used). The teenage me would have been excited over a big pallette and could get away with off beat colors, but the 50+ me wants something more portable and colors that won't make me look clownish.
I don't know if this will help but Wet N Wild's Brulee is a beautiful cream matte single that I use to cancel out the redness, blue bits and discolouration on my whole eye to the brows and I've been putting Maybellines Nude Glow 40S on the lid which adds some nice peachy age friendly shimmer, then using a little L'Oreal eyeliner called Le Liner Signature (it's a retractable, no sharpening yay) in Black Cashmere as a tightline on my lash line. Wet N Wild's Nutty is another nice little single. None of them break the bank, and they are small and easy to stash in a makeup pouch.

I would prefer the makeup companies would just up and make the 4 pans again, with a powder liner and 3 age friendly neutrals to create a one and done eye look. Cover Girls Shimmering Sands. Or that Walk in the Woods one that Cheryl Tiegs used to plug when she was a teenager. Solid neutrals, well thought out, and perfect.

Wet N Wild's Walking on Eggshells is a small 4 pan that I think they expanded to 6 recently that I have and love for a good quiet neutral. When I bought mine it was still 4 pans and set me back $4 Canadian at Shoppers Pharmaprix. Love it. They make a 10 pan in Nude Awakening that looks nice and Zabrena likes it but why buy 10 even at $7 when all we need is a 4 pan.

Even then, the Walking on Eggshells is missing that all important cream matte shade. The pale shade is too shiny and accents my wrinkles and leaves my brow bone looking all crepe like. The best one in there is the soft mid brown matte for the crease or the pinky satin one. I look like an aging reptile if I use that pale shade anywhere.

Gimme a few good mattes and one nice shimmer and I'm a happy camper.

Leigh

I think I have an explanation.So the high end stuff at Sephora has been doing bigger palettes of eyeshadow for some time. When that started I noticed Rimmel and Loreal and a few others got on that band wagon. And just lately all those nice little 4 pan or 3 pan eyeshadows just disappeared.

I think Cover Girl and Maybelline want people to buy a bigger set or people just buy them more and leave the little guys alone so they are being pulled.

It's a crying shame because some of them like Cover Girl's Shimmering Sands have been around in one form or another since the late 60s and they are a great tiny easy to pack small light way to fix your eyes on a trip (or overnight in a purse)
Thanks - I had suspected as much. There are a few Youtube beauty channels I enjoy watching, and seeing all those multi-color high-end palettes demonstrated just kind of blow my mind! :shocked That's way more choices than I need... especially at this age, as ThankfulMom said. ;)

I have finally come to terms with the fact that I can no longer get away with sparkly makeup and will look for that WNW Creme Brûlée that you mentioned. Thanks. :biggrin

ThankfulMom

I don't know if this will help but Wet N Wild's Brulee is a beautiful cream matte single that I use to cancel out the redness, blue bits and discolouration on my whole eye to the brows and I've been putting Maybellines Nude Glow 40S on the lid which adds some nice peachy age friendly shimmer, then using a little L'Oreal eyeliner called Le Liner Signature (it's a retractable, no sharpening yay) in Black Cashmere as a tightline on my lash line. Wet N Wild's Nutty is another nice little single. None of them break the bank, and they are small and easy to stash in a makeup pouch.

I would prefer the makeup companies would just up and make the 4 pans again, with a powder liner and 3 age friendly neutrals to create a one and done eye look. Cover Girls Shimmering Sands. Or that Walk in the Woods one that Cheryl Tiegs used to plug when she was a teenager. Solid neutrals, well thought out, and perfect.

Wet N Wild's Walking on Eggshells is a small 4 pan that I think they expanded to 6 recently that I have and love for a good quiet neutral. When I bought mine it was still 4 pans and set me back $4 Canadian at Shoppers Pharmaprix. Love it. They make a 10 pan in Nude Awakening that looks nice and Zabrena likes it but why buy 10 even at $7 when all we need is a 4 pan.

Even then, the Walking on Eggshells is missing that all important cream matte shade. The pale shade is too shiny and accents my wrinkles and leaves my brow bone looking all crepe like. The best one in there is the soft mid brown matte for the crease or the pinky satin one. I look like an aging reptile if I use that pale shade anywhere.

Gimme a few good mattes and one nice shimmer and I'm a happy camper.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look for them next time I'm at the drugstore or Ulta. I remember Cover Girl Shimmering Sands. I don't remember Walk In The Woods. I really liked Milani cosmetics, but they have gone really woke liberal and I won't be giving them any more of my money. On a side note, my first lipstick I bought with saved up allowance money was Pink Quartz by Cover Girl. They still make it, but my complexion has changed since my early teens and it would wash me out now.

Leigh

I have barely worn lipstick or blush since Covid started.... I hate getting masks dirty with make-up.

Oh, but during the pandemic I did buy one of those Color the World lipsticks that was advertised on Facebook. I was sucked in by the pretty tubes they come in, and the lipstick does get great reviews, but sad to say it's no better than a drugstore lipstick, so I won't be spending the money for it again. (It wasn't all that expensive because it was on sale, but still, $10-15 range and I just don't spend a lot on makeup, so that was high for me.)

ThankfulMom

One pallette I like is the Chocolate Bar pallette by Too Faced Cosmetics. It has 15 colors, but most of them are more neutral with light shimmer or mattes and only three are more sparkly. I got it at Marshall's for half the price it would normally go for at Ulta. Stores like T.J. Maxx (I think in Canada they are Winners stores??) and Marshall's are good for finding brand name cosmetics for less.

FaithnHope

Loved and changed by Jesus.
That sounds like an allergic reaction to me. I have the same thing happen when I use anything with lanolin in it. I have to be careful with soap and lotions too.

I love makeup! Ross and Marshall’s usually carry some really nice products for reasonable prices. I have enough to last me the rest of my life. Lol. I also love nail polish! I have found some really good ones at Ross and Marshall’s too.

Misty S

I recently picked up this awesome smelling shave gel. It is called Skintimate Signature Scents Raspberry Rain shave gel. My daughter, bless her little heart of youth, thought it was body wash and off it all went. The scent just is so good. Reminds me of something that I cannot quite put my finger on from years past, perhaps?

In the spirit, sort of, of this thread, I must get my beauty sleep. I need beaucoups amounts of that. :alien

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
You know what I wish? That they would offer testers so people would stop opening the bottles and testing from them! Every bottle I pick up I can tell has been opened and messed with. So disgusting, I stopped buying anything makeup now that's not sealed in some way.

They used to have testers here at Walgreen's, but due to the (unmentionable), all the testers were pulled from the shelves in the name of *sanitation* :mad

Ghoti Ichthus

Hmmm in my quest to plumb the depths of L'Oreal's inventory in my Rexall drugstore, I just "happened" to be in there last Tuesday for Senior Discount Day and found not one but TWO really nice creamy moisturizing lipsticks.

The new ColourRiche Nude Intense line in rose gold shiny square cases. I got 173 Nu Impertinent and 181 Nu Intense. They both remind me a LOT of my Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk, in that sort of mauve undertoned peachy muted look. The sales clerk who was showing them to me dropped one and dented it, so I got both. Turns out the dented one was my favourite.

On the DOWNSIDE they have a bit of a scent. Not the classic L'Oreal lipstick stink, but a milder floral lighter version of that stench so it goes away sooner. It is the downside of most of L'Oreal's lipsticks with the exception of the ColourRiche Shine balm lipsticks like the one I have in 904 Varnished Rosewood.

The other downside is that these won't last thru lunch let alone a good solid hour wearing a face mask. But your lips will feel good. And they didn't work their way up into my lip lines. And they don't roll off the counter! Square shapes are good.

In case any of my makeup loving sisters on RF need another lipstick recommendation.

I'm having WAY too much fun at the drugstore on Senior Tuesdays.

I just found out that at least some of the Dollar General cosmetics are the old Rexall brand :hmmm

Ghoti Ichthus

I don't buy stuff at Target unless I have *no choice,* but for sure I don't buy makeup at Target and Walmart because sanitation :eek :puke

If I want drugstore cosmetics, I go to a *clean,* *well-stocked* Walgreen's (some are great and others are terrible). Generally cheaper than CVS. If the cosmetics counter has a patient, knowledgeable attendant, huge bonus :smile

Loreal has a lot of single and double shadows and a few quads of complimentary shades.

Lamcome (same company, but higher end than Loreal and usually found in department stores like Macy's) has a lot of singles and doubles, too. Also a few quads of complimentary shades. If you find a patient, knowledgeable counter lady at the Lancome Counter, awesome :smile