Cheap thrills in drugstore makeup. Share your best finds!

MilkyWay1

I've tried to find drugstore replacements for my expensive foundations but it hasn't happened yet. I'm always pulled in because of the price but the quality never seems to measure up, which is so infuriating.
Ok, I know this goes against what this thread’s about, lol, but which expensive foundation brands do you like? Foundation is the ONLY makeup that I wear but I hate to shell out money without knowing how good a product really is.

Reunionroundthecorner

Ok, I know this goes against what this thread’s about, lol, but which expensive foundation brands do you like? Foundation is the ONLY makeup that I wear but I hate to shell out money without knowing how good a product really is.
I buy Neutrogena. It is expensive but I've yet to see anywhere where they exploit young boys wearing make up like Cover Girl did. I used Cover girl for YEARS, but when I saw that commercial, I cried for that little boy. Never wore it again.

MilkyWay1

I buy Neutrogena. It is expensive but I've yet to see anywhere where they exploit young boys wearing make up like Cover Girl did. I used Cover girl for YEARS, but when I saw that commercial, I cried for that little boy. Never wore it again.
Isn't Neutrogena considered a drugstore brand? Their prices seem very reasonable to me. I’ve never tried their makeup but I loooooove their City Shield facial moisturizer. It’s the lightest SPF moisturizer I’ve tried, which is perfect for Texas summers!

And yeah, Cover Girl is awful when it comes to the “trans” child abuse. It just enrages me.

Reunionroundthecorner

Isn't Neutrogena considered a drugstore brand? Their prices seem very reasonable to me. I’ve never tried their makeup but I loooooove their City Shield facial moisturizer. It’s the lightest SPF moisturizer I’ve tried, which is perfect for Texas summers!

And yeah, Cover Girl is awful when it comes to the “trans” child abuse. It just enrages me.
I get it a Wally World. (aka Walmart) It is more expensive than Cover Girl and Maybelline but I'm willing to spend the extra moolah.

Wish I was in Texas instead of Virginny! :cry2

cheeky200386

My favorites are Cle De Peau The Foundation for the Winter, La Mer Soft Fluid, Cle De Peau Soft Fluid Matte, Dior Airflash, and Tom Ford the Stick Foundation. I am 34 years old, have textured acne scars and have combination skin. The first one is so expensive I'm not sure I'll ever repurchase but it does last a long time since I don't use it in the Summer.

I'm thinking I might just focus on skincare and either forgo foundation or use tinted moisturizers. I love the Chanel the Water Fresh Tint which is sheer coverage but blurs pores and feels like nothing. Tarte has a primer Tinted Moisturizer I really like too for half the Chanel price.

I'm sure once my baby arrives, I'll probably move on from makeup for a while.

I want foundation with skincare that blurs my skin, feels like nothing on, lasts all day, and looks like skin (light to medium coverage). It's asking for a lot that I haven't found in drugstore makeup sadly. I would love if I could find it.

ChildofLight

I love ELF serum foundation. My anti-drugstore makeup snob sister told me about it. It's a very very light coverage, but that's what I want. It's dewy and a really nice serum texture/consistency. Anything heavier than this just looks and feels cakey to me, but then I have extremely pale, dry, sensitive skin.

I got maybelline cheek heat recently as I thought a liquid blush might blend better, but so far not impressed.

Nuetrogena hydro boost gel cream in the pink jar is doing wonders for my dry skin. It's the only face moisturizer I've bought twice. Plan to go back for the serum.

I've been using noxema since high school, never had pimples, now at 42 no wrinkles, and it really irritates the crap out of that same sister who spends thousands on med spa treatments and is 3 years younger. Lol.

Looking for a really good non-drying lipstick or balm that has some staying power.
Lipstick dries my lips out really bad. The only thing I use is the CVS lip balm/chapstick or whatever they call it. It’s the cherry flavor and has a bit of tint that you only notice if wipe it with a Kleenex. Since I don’t get pills there anymore I may try the HEB brand cherry next time. Otherwise I use a thin layer of Vaseline.

MilkyWay1

My favorites are Cle De Peau The Foundation for the Winter, La Mer Soft Fluid, Cle De Peau Soft Fluid Matte, Dior Airflash, and Tom Ford the Stick Foundation. I am 34 years old, have textured acne scars and have combination skin. The first one is so expensive I'm not sure I'll ever repurchase but it does last a long time since I don't use it in the Summer.

I'm thinking I might just focus on skincare and either forgo foundation or use tinted moisturizers. I love the Chanel the Water Fresh Tint which is sheer coverage but blurs pores and feels like nothing. Tarte has a primer Tinted Moisturizer I really like too for half the Chanel price.

I want foundation with skincare that blurs my skin, feels like nothing on, lasts all day, and looks like skin (light to medium coverage). It's asking for a lot that I haven't found in drugstore makeup sadly. I would love if I could find it.
I’d like to try one of those! It takes me awhile to go through a whole bottle of foundation ever since wearing a mask multiple times a week. I hate putting on makeup if it’s just going to rub off on the mask. They do sound pricey though, so I’m hoping one of their websites will offer samples so I don’t buy the wrong tint.

ShilohRose

Give this a try: danreadcosmetics.com It's light and airy and covers like a dream. I've been wearing it since the early 2000s, although I have tried other things including Sisley's $200 a jar foundation. At $33 for a pot without shimmer, it's not inexpensive, but it doesn't feel like you're wearing a lot of stuff on your face. I used to wear Anita of Denmark, a very old school foundation favored by Marilyn Monroe, and that stuff was like spreading on thick butter, and it was so-o--o sticky. Even though it covered all the flaws, I got to where I hated it. I don't like to be sticky, and my skin doesn't like powder. When I tried Dan Read's foundation, he was the one giving me a makeover, and I was in my early 40s. Some 20 year old young man made a pass at me. Since then, I've had many, many compliments, and I'm nearly 60. I'm not sure how or why it works so well. It's certainly not manufactured by one of the big companies like L'Oreal or Lauder. My skin is also sensitive to a lot of ingredients, and it doesn't take much of the wrong thing to cause a breakout or an allergic reaction.

MilkyWay1

Give this a try: danreadcosmetics.com It's light and airy and covers like a dream. I've been wearing it since the early 2000s, although I have tried other things including Sisley's $200 a jar foundation. At $33 for a pot without shimmer, it's not inexpensive, but it doesn't feel like you're wearing a lot of stuff on your face. I used to wear Anita of Denmark, a very old school foundation favored by Marilyn Monroe, and that stuff was like spreading on thick butter, and it was so-o--o sticky. Even though it covered all the flaws, I got to where I hated it. I don't like to be sticky, and my skin doesn't like powder. When I tried Dan Read's foundation, he was the one giving me a makeover, and I was in my early 40s. Some 20 year old young man made a pass at me. Since then, I've had many, many compliments, and I'm nearly 60. I'm not sure how or why it works so well. It's certainly not manufactured by one of the big companies like L'Oreal or Lauder. My skin is also sensitive to a lot of ingredients, and it doesn't take much of the wrong thing to cause a breakout or an allergic reaction.
Just checked his stuff out. Found this hashtag on one of his company Facebook posts and found it interesting: #WWG1WGA

Qanon fan?

cheeky200386

I checked out the website and then just forgot about it. I'll have to bookmark it for when I run out of what I currently have. I did find the shade I believe would work for me so I'll give it a try in the future. Thank you again for reminding me of that foundation.

ShilohRose

Just checked his stuff out. Found this hashtag on one of his company Facebook posts and found it interesting: #WWG1WGA

Qanon fan?
I haven't talked to him in a long time, even though I regularly buy his foundation. I do know that he moved from California to Tennessee in the late nineties or around 2000 because he didn't want his kids growing up in Hollywood-- at least, that's what he told me.

athenasius

--about price-- I was thinking of earlier me, the one who had to think twice about a 5$ lipstick in case I made a mistake on the shade. It's great when we can enjoy a higher price point, and it's awesome when we have the experience with that higher price point so we can recommend an equal or better quality product at a lower price point.

So no problems with talking higher end, keeping in mind that not all of us want to spend that kind of money for whatever reason. Still it's good to know if someone has tried both and can say that Lash Paradise mascara is VERY GOOD and better than Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir, Tarte's LCL or Clinique's High Impact. Which I am confident about now. LOVE THAT STUFF.

Because earlier me couldn't afford too much in the way of mistake purchases. But I still wanted and needed lipstick, and eyebrow pencils and mascara.

I have some drugstore foundations I like -- I mentioned 2 -- the Revlon original Candid, not the glowy one and the Loreal Age Perfect Serum Foundation both of which are extremely comfy to wear, light as air, and pretty good at evening things out. They'd need a concealer for anything major. The Revlon is only 22 ml while the Loreal is a full 30 ml size and they both go on sale here in Canada for about 14 to 15$. They stack up nicely against bareMinerals Complexion Rescue which I also have and love and use. I like those 3 (and Mac F&B) way better than IT CC cream which is at Sephora and in the same category and performance. IT CC is nice but feels thick and heavy and irritates my skin a bit which I think is due to some of the ingredients.

The Loreal is the best value. And it is supposed to be comparable to the Estee Lauder Futurist Hydra Rescue which finally launched in Canada but has spf 45 of a chemical spf so I doubt I will bother trying it to see.

If I want solid performance, great coverage and lasts all day and half the night, Estee Lauder Double Wear is superb. But apply with a wet sponge or it can go on cakey, and make it a cheap sponge because that stuff stains permanently. I just tossed out my last bottles of ELDW due to the fact they've been open way too long because I don't use that type of foundation any more.

At 64 I'm liking the light weight skin like glowy stuff.

Mac Face and Body is my other favourite in that light glowy skin like category and is pretty close in Canada anyway to drugstore prices when you price it out by the ml or the oz. It is 50 ml rather than the usual 30 ml. I don't even powder it, and it looks like my skin but better and lasts all day. Comes off my nose a little bit like they all do because I have allergies, -- blowing my nose several times a day will cut into the coverage but of all 4 the F&B is the long term winner for lasting power. It goes on long after Complexion Rescue is disappearing. Outlasts Loreal and the Revlon Candid by a little bit too. Never looks overdone either.

Rimmel's 24 hour one was great and it covered to about a nice medium coverage and wore beautifully except it had chemical sunscreen and I reacted. How I found out chemical spf and me don't get along. The Loreal Age Perfect has a bit of chemical spf but not the ones I reacted to in the Rimmel.

I'm loving my Milani baked and powder blushes. In the baked dome shaped line Berry Amore is the same shade on my cheeks as the MUCH more expensive Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk blush and it is a better formula than the Charlotte T. The same little bit of glow, the same shade, but doesn't make my sunspot side look blotchy while the CT one I have to be pretty careful applying it. PrimaVera is a beautiful pale nude pink for pale gals. I like Luminoso, it's a definite peachy pink with some nice shimmer. It isn't a dupe of the dubious famous NARS O one that it's supposed to dupe. It's better and nicer but a different more peach shade than the NARS one. In the Milani Rose imprinted blushes, I had Romantic Rose and it's dupe-- Tarte's Exposed. Of the 2 I prefer Romantic Rose. I gave it away though to someone who liked it and couldn't afford it. I want to buy it again.

And their eye primer wins against the others for price and performance as I mentioned up thread.

Maybelline's Age Rewind Concealer is a pretty great concealer around the eyes-- I like it better than most high end-- the one with the sponge tip. that stuff is gorgeous. And in a pinch it can double as a decent eye primer too. Although I'd go for Milani if I was in hot sweaty conditions.

athenasius

I love ELF serum foundation. My anti-drugstore makeup snob sister told me about it. It's a very very light coverage, but that's what I want. It's dewy and a really nice serum texture/consistency. Anything heavier than this just looks and feels cakey to me, but then I have extremely pale, dry, sensitive skin.

I got maybelline cheek heat recently as I thought a liquid blush might blend better, but so far not impressed.

Nuetrogena hydro boost gel cream in the pink jar is doing wonders for my dry skin. It's the only face moisturizer I've bought twice. Plan to go back for the serum.

I've been using noxema since high school, never had pimples, now at 42 no wrinkles, and it really irritates the crap out of that same sister who spends thousands on med spa treatments and is 3 years younger. Lol.

Looking for a really good non-drying lipstick or balm that has some staying power.
Rachel it's so good to see you again (still praying for you). :hug

Ok a good non drying balm type sheer moisturizing lipstick that I have and love and highly recommend is the L"Oreal ColorRiche Shine lipsticks in 904 Varnished Rosewood. It looks dark in the tube but goes on with a nice semi sheer berry tint. It's in the pretty clear crystal looking tubes with a silver top and bottom and a gold rim in the middle. I'm most ways thru the one I have, and I think (hope) I have a spare from my purse. I like to have that one always on hand because it's really more like a balm or a solid lipgloss in stick form. Staying power, mmmm yeah, maybe a couple of hours. Maybe. But while it hangs in, my lips feel great.

I got onto it from Emily Noel on YouTube who always recommends it. I'm a lot paler than she is but it looks great on me too so I think it might look good on a lot of different skin tones. It's a LITTLE bit like Clinique's Black Honey stuff and the inner lipstick tube is shaped the same with the holder hugging the sides of the lipstick so it doesn't squish out of shape.

I find the Maybelline Lip Ink Crayons are quite nice and not drying on my lips and last thru all kinds of situations. The day I went to the dentist it hung in there thru everything. I just bought another of my favourite shade Lead the Way in that one. I apply it over top Mac Prep and Prime Lip Primer which is like a traditional waxy balm and moisturizes the lips well so that might affect how I perceive it. I'm planning on picking up Trust Your Gut on the next sale with Maybelline at the drugstore.