Cheap thrills in drugstore makeup. Share your best finds!

athenasius

So I'm tired of 2020 being such a killjoy year. And ready for some fun feminine topics. Anyone with me?

Starting with these gems

I found a really nice Maybelline eye shadow called Nude Drama which is one of those peachy champagne shimmer types that really looks nice on the eyelid. I've been pairing it up with Wet N Wild's Brulee eye shadow single which is like a matte cream shade and both of them are dirt cheap at the drugstore here in Canada. My favourite eye shadow primer is Milani and it's another drugstore winner.

so what have you enjoyed recently from the drugstore makeup aisle?

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
Found 2 fabulous nail polishes. From Sally Hanson. One is sparkly red called Unbreakable Heart. The other is sparkly purplish...Save the Date, I think its called. Both are very *Holiday-ish* and I love them!!!
Good thread. Any thing to lift our spirits a bit.

cheeky200386

I've tried to find drugstore replacements for my expensive foundations but it hasn't happened yet. I'm always pulled in because of the price but the quality never seems to measure up, which is so infuriating.

I did find a good bronzer though. Physicians formula, butter bronzer is excellent! Milani has nice blushes too. I wish there was a way to color match and sample drugstore foundation without having to buy it first.

I have really oily eye lids and haven't found a good eyeshadow primer like the Nars or Too Faced one. The ELF putty primer dries out so fast in the pot.

athenasius

I need a new mascara but I need hypoallergenic. I'm not impressed with Almay lately. Anyone know of any good ones?
Yup, but not drugstore. I had reasonable results from CoverGirl-- they don't make me itch, unfortunately the rest I've tried from L'Oreal and Maybelline do.

I'm going to suggest something here, that isn't drugstore, but is close (at least in Canada) to the cost of a lot of drugstore mascara.

A mini mascara at Sephora by a company called Tarte, the Lights Camera Lashes one. It works better on me than the Clinique which doesn't come in a mini and isn't quite as easy on my lids and lashes as the Tarte one. That sets me back $16 in Canada while the CoverGirl/L'Oreal?Maybellines run $12 to 16 some even near $20. In Canada the last Clinique one I bought (High Impact regular) set me back $22 but it went up.

(I'm bad, I launch a drugstore thread and mention Sephora) :eek:

I have NO clue about American drugstore pricing of mascaras. With the Sephora mini mascaras they'll last a good 3 to 4 months which is when I toss mine no matter what size I buy. (I am also paranoid about eye infections and germs-- it's that nurse thing-- I can't quite shake my nursing training loose).

So ignore me if you normally get those babies to last 6 months because the minis will definitely run dry before then, but the Tarte one is made with Rice starch, not wheat starch (which is one of my problems) and nothing else in the Tarte bugs my eyes. Even Clinique has WHEAT in their mascara and I'm like, WHY CLINIQUE, WHY???? -- which probably explains why Clinique's mascara began to bug me last year.

cheeky200386

I would buy that just for the name HAHA!!!!! Guess what I have on, hubby? Nude DRAMA. :ahaha

At least that's funny. Some of these cosmetic companies are perverted with their product names. I just have to avoid them because it's clear Satan is behind them. NARS is famous for that. I'm hoping to replace my eye primer with another one because I don't like their messaging.

athenasius

I would buy that just for the name HAHA!!!!! Guess what I have on, hubby? Nude DRAMA. :ahaha
I know! right? :lol

But it's gorgeous. Kind of like a pinky champagne shimmer, but doesn't give that red rimmed eye look that some pinky shadows do. And if the hubs should happen to ask if you are coming down with pink eye, you can toss it without pause as it is less than $5 even here in Canada, the home of high prices.

cheeky200386

Yup, but not drugstore. I had reasonable results from CoverGirl-- they don't make me itch, unfortunately the rest I've tried from L'Oreal and Maybelline do.

I'm going to suggest something here, that isn't drugstore, but is close (at least in Canada) to the cost of a lot of drugstore mascara.

A mini mascara at Sephora by a company called Tarte, the Lights Camera Lashes one. It works better on me than the Clinique which doesn't come in a mini and isn't quite as easy on my lids and lashes as the Tarte one. That sets me back $16 in Canada while the CoverGirl/L'Oreal?Maybellines run $12 to 16 some even near $20. In Canada the last Clinique one I bought (High Impact regular) set me back $22 but it went up.

(I'm bad, I launch a drugstore thread and mention Sephora) :eek:

I have NO clue about American drugstore pricing of mascaras. With the Sephora mini mascaras they'll last a good 3 to 4 months which is when I toss mine no matter what size I buy. (I am also paranoid about eye infections and germs-- it's that nurse thing-- I can't quite shake my nursing training loose).

So ignore me if you normally get those babies to last 6 months because the minis will definitely run dry before then, but the Tarte one is made with Rice starch, not wheat starch (which is one of my problems) and nothing else in the Tarte bugs my eyes. Even Clinique has WHEAT in their mascara and I'm like, WHY CLINIQUE, WHY???? -- which probably explains why Clinique's mascara began to bug me last year.

I prefer the mini versions too. I just don't wear mascara on a regular basis. I didn't know that about Clinique, wow. It is sad with some of the ingredients companies use.

cheeky200386

I need a new mascara but I need hypoallergenic. I'm not impressed with Almay lately. Anyone know of any good ones?

I've heard good things from the mascara made by ilia. They are a natural cosmetics company. I don't know if they are waterproof though if you need that. Well People is another company I've liked for cleaner products, they probably have a mascara that should be safe to use.

athenasius

At least that's funny. Some of these cosmetic companies are perverted with their product names. I just have to avoid them because it's clear Satan is behind them. NARS is famous for that. I'm hoping to replace my eye primer with another one because I don't like their messaging.
YEP, I don't want to support that wickedness.

Ok seriously do try the Milani Eye Primer. No kidding it works equal to the Too Faced Shadow Insurance, the Urban Decay Primer Potion, and I'm trying to think of which other one I tried from Sephora. I went back to Milani each time, this last time for good. Curiosity got to me, I was weak. I tried the expensive ones. --One was a mini, the other came in a set. But they didn't do anything more than my Milani. I used to get it for $5 on sale, but it's doubled up here to $10 now. Still a bargain.

cheeky200386

YEP, I don't want to support that wickedness.

Ok seriously do try the Milani Eye Primer. No kidding it works equal to the Too Faced Shadow Insurance, the Urban Decay Primer Potion, and I'm trying to think of which other one I tried from Sephora. I went back to Milani each time, this last time for good. Curiosity got to me, I was weak. I tried the expensive ones. But they didn't do anything more than my Milani. I used to get it for $5 on sale, but it's doubled up here to $10 now. Still a bargain.

Really?! Thank you so much for the recommendation. I like their prices too and have been impressed with Milani's blush. I'll definitely check them out. I love the Too Faced Shadow Insurance one too but it would get runny in the summer and it's pricey.

athenasius

Really?! Thank you so much for the recommendation. I like their prices too and have been impressed with Milani's blush. I'll definitely check them out. I love the Too Faced Shadow Insurance one too but it would get runny in the summer and it's pricey.
Milani will occasionally separate a little in the tube. I squeeze the air out and goosh it around a bit to mix it back up and it goes back to normal. In case that happens, it's all you have to do. It's not opaque, so you don't get coverage from it. But eye shadows stick around and don't crease all day. I've taken to putting some concealer on my lids first, then massage a drop of the Milani on top, dry a minute, dust on some Wet N Wild Brulee to sort of give a neutral even toned base, then I start slapping on the actual eye shadow or shadows that I plan to wear. I'm dealing with redness, veins and wrinkles. :lol