Chauvin etc Trial Thread (George Floyd)

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Here's local coverage

BREAKING: Derek Chauvin Guilty On All 3 Counts In George Floyd’s Death​

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Following nearly a year of protest, introspection and raw emotion, former Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin, who last May held a knee down on George Floyd’s neck for more than 9 minutes, has been found guilty of second-degree murder and two other charges in Floyd’s death.
Chauvin has been remanded to the custody of Hennepin County. He was led out of the courtroom in handcuffs.
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/04/20/derek-chauvin-guilty-verdict-george-floyd-death-trial/

Thus far, things are peaceful downtown, Lake Street, and George Floyd memorial in front of Cup Foods (George Floyd Square).
All or virtually all locals that are congregating. Many have been out all day after yesterday's notification of today's reading of the verdict.

Praying for the community, peace, and the outsiders to GO HOME!!! We don't want or need them here :tappingfoot
Praying for Derek Chauvin and his family, and George Floyd's family.
It's time for healing, regardless of what happens in the future (sentencing, appeals, etc.)

:pray :pray :amen :amen

motofan90

The president is just spouting rhetoric at this point. He isn't helping. Using the tragedy to push the party narrative. can democrats focus on something other than someone's skin color. The wording is insulting and makes it seem like the Civil rights movement accomplished nothing. How can anyone take him and Kalama serious when they both have bad records dealing with fair criminal justice?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Having said that, I agree that Chauvin acted unprofessionally which could have been a significant factor in Floyd's death. He also failed to attempt to resuscitate Floyd when he stopped breathing.

His performance may have been less than perfect. Is he guilty of any crime if we were to apply true justice? I think not.

There is a reason why the deepstaters are trying to dismantle our police forces. They are de-centralized peacekeepers who do not answer to the Federal govmint but to the communities they serve. I hope we're not around to see what our local and state police departments are replaced with. I can guarantee whatever they're replaced with won't be good.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

Dershowitz: Derek Chauvin Conviction Should Be Reversed on Appeal​

Renowned defense attorney and Harvard Law School professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz said Tuesday that the conviction of former Minneapolis, Minnesota, police officer Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd should be overturned on appeal because of the public intimidation of the jury and the judge’s refusal to sequester the jury.

Dershowitz noted the “outside influence” of people like Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA), who encouraged unrest at a protest on Saturday night in nearby Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, if there was no murder conviction in the case.

Chauvin was convicted Tuesday of all of the charges in the case — second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter.

Dershowitz told Newsmax:

What was done to George Floyd by Officer Chauvin was inexcusable, morally. But the verdict is very questionable, because of the outside influences of people like Al Sharpton, and people like Maxine Waters. Their threats and intimidation, and hanging the sword of Damocles over the jury, and basically saying if you don’t convict on the murder charge, on all the charges, the cities will burn, the country will be destroyed, seeped into the jury room because the judge made a terrible mistake by not sequestering the jury. So the judge himself said, this case may be reversed on appeal. And I think it might reversed on appeal. I think it should be reversed on appeal. I think the American Civil Liberties Union, which would be all over this case if it weren’t a racially-charged case, all Americans who care about due process and liberty should be concerned that the jury verdict may have been influenced by, if not the thumb, maybe even the elbow of the outside pressures, the fears, the threats. Every juror in that room knew about those threats. And when they sit and deliberate, they have to be saying to themselves, consciously or unconsciously, if I were to render a verdict other than a murder verdict, what the consequences will be, for me, and my family, my friends, my business. That should never, ever, bellowed to seep into a jury room. So I have no real confidence that this verdict — which may be correct in some ways — but I have no confidence that this verdict was produced by due process and the rule of law, rather than the influence of the crowd.

Dershowitz said that after exhausting appeals at the state level, the case “will go to the United States Supreme Court,” which held the “best possibility” of overturning the conviction, based on the judge’s own reaction to Waters’s comments.

He said that President Joe Biden was not wrong, legally, to comment on the case Tuesday once the jury had been sequestered, though there was a risk in raising expectations of a conviction, in the event that Chauvin had been acquitted.

Later, in remarks to the nation, President Biden appeared to endorse the pressure placed on the jury: “For so many, it feels like it took all of that for the judicial system to deliver a just — just basic accountability.”

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/202...onviction-should-be-reversed-on-appeal-biden/

Ghoti Ichthus

Local coverage of reactions to the verdict

Crowds React To Derek Chauvin Verdict In Minneapolis​

Crowds at George Floyd Square and the Hennepin County Government Center reacted to the verdict of Derek Chauvin, who was found guilty of all counts in the murder of George Floyd. WCCO 4 News - April 20, 2021
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/5508385-crowds-react-to-derek-chauvin-verdict-in-minneapolis/

‘It’s A Blessed Moment’: Crowds React With Joy Over Verdict In Floyd’s Death​

"MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Crowds nationwide reacted with jubilation Tuesday but also with deep awareness of the progress left to be made after a jury convicted former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin of murder in the killing of George Floyd.
Loud cheering erupted from Floyd’s family members watching in an adjacent courthouse room as the judge read the verdict to a city and nation on edge. At the Minneapolis intersection where the Black man died on May 25, a vigil gave way to celebration as crowds began to course down the streets. People hung out of their cars, honked and waved signs as images of Chauvin being handcuffed and taken into custody played on millions of TVs and phones across the United States.
“It means so much to me,” said Venisha Johnson, a Black woman who cried at a gathering in what’s been dubbed George Floyd Square as the verdict was read. “I’ve been praying for George everyday, every morning at 6 a.m. I’m just so happy. The way he was murdered was terrible! But thank you, Jesus.”
In Houston’s Third Ward, the historically Black neighborhood where Floyd grew up, a small crowd gathered under a tent near a mural of Floyd to listen to the verdict as it was read on TV. People driving by honked their car horns and yelled, “Justice!”
“We feeling good. We thank everybody that stood with us. It’s a blessed moment,” said Jacob David, 39, who knew Floyd and wiped away tears.
But the elation was tinged with wariness and worry that while justice was done for one Black person on this day, it would not be enough by itself. The shooting death of another Black man, Daunte Wright, by police in suburban Minneapolis during the trial and of a 13-year-old Adam Toledo in Chicago last month heightened tensions and muted the court victory."

"Many who watched the trial that followed saw the verdict as a first small step to address centuries of racist policing in a nation founded on slavery. Some say they had prepared themselves for a different, and devastating, outcome.
“We are relieved but not celebrating because the killing continues,” the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who traveled to Minneapolis for the verdict, said in a telephone interview. “We hope this is the breaking point to stop legal lynching.”
In Washington, D.C., London Williams visited Black Lives Matter Plaza while waiting for the verdict and said in the moments before the news came that he wasn’t sure he’d ever feel safe if Chauvin was acquitted. Williams, who is Black, burst into tears and doubled over with emotion upon seeing the news of the verdict on his phone.
“We’ve just become so accustomed to not receiving justice. I’m just so very, very overwhelmed right now,” said Tesia Lisbon, a community activist in Florida’s capital of Tallahassee."
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...-react-with-joy-over-verdict-in-floyds-death/

Please pray for peace and healing.

jab777

The president is just spouting rhetoric at this point. He isn't helping. Using the tragedy to push the party narrative. can democrats focus on something other than someone's skin color. The wording is insulting and makes it seem like the Civil rights movement accomplished nothing. How can anyone take him and Kalama serious when they both have bad records dealing with fair criminal justice?
I’ve had it up to my eyebrows with President Puzzlewit and his VP Heels Up. They take advantage of every unfortunate circumstance to further the Communist narrative. I’m not saying that Chauvin didn’t drop the ball on this but making George Floyd out to be a saint is wrong.

Ghoti Ichthus

His performance may have been less than perfect. Is he guilty of any crime if we were to apply true justice? I think not.

There is a reason why the deepstaters are trying to dismantle our police forces. They are de-centralized peacekeepers who do not answer to the Federal govmint but to the communities they serve. I hope we're not around to see what our local and state police departments are replaced with. I can guarantee whatever they're replaced with won't be good.

This is why small, poor, minority communities in St. Louis Metro kept their police departments and resisted St. Louis County and State of Missouri efforts to shut them down/consolidate. Far less accountability for what really matters when things are centralized and standardized than local and tailored. Things go much, much, much better when officers and residents, business employees/owners, and frequent visitors know one another. Far easier to ask and get compliance and far less use of force. And far more referrals for services before things get to the point that arrest and prosecution become necessary.
Resistance was driven by residents and local small businesses more than by the politicians.

Ghoti Ichthus

The judge revoked Derek Chauvin’s bail and said he would be sentenced in eight weeks.​

Judge Peter A. Cahill revoked Derek Chauvin’s bail on Tuesday after he was convicted of murdering George Floyd.
Mr. Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer who has been free on bail since the fall, was led out of the courtroom in handcuffs and remanded into the custody of the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office.
Judge Cahill said he expected to begin a sentencing hearing in about eight weeks. Mr. Chauvin was convicted on all three charges he faced at trial — second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.
Because Mr. Chauvin has no criminal history, the sentencing guidelines for each of the murder charges is 12.5 years. But the maximum sentences for each charge differ: Second-degree murder can result in a term as long as 40 years, while the maximum for third-degree murder is 25 years.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/20/us/derek-chauvin-sentencing-date.html

Please pray for the community, peace, and healing.

railfan727

I can't find anything to difinitively support your statement. Some sites say yes. Most of what I've found indicate the allegation isn't true. I don't know of course, but I did try to verify what you posted and was not able to.
At the very least, he is ideologically aligned with the deep state. It doesn't matter if he's a Mason or not, we know he is serving the devil just from his statement today alone.

Edit: I do not understand why I'm getting so many "thumbs down" on this and it's starting to really bother me. If you think I'm wrong just tell me to my face and we'll talk. If you're expressing disappointment in the stance that Me. Graham has taken, as I am, please find a different way to react.

Last edited:
Back