Chauvin etc Trial Thread (George Floyd)

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20

1203 p.m. 12 April 2021

Judge in Chauvin trial denies jury sequestration over Brooklyn Center police shooting

An attorney for Derek Chauvin, the fired Minneapolis officer charged in George Floyd's death, asked for the jury in Chauvin's trial to be further questioned and sequestered in light of the Brooklyn Center shooting.
"This incident last night highlights, I think, brings to the forefront of the jury's mindset that a verdict in this case is going to have consequences," defense attorney Eric Nelson said.
Prosecutors argued the jurors were already asked whether they were so concerned about the outcome of their verdict that they would not be able to bring an impartial verdict. All agreed they would be able to set aside their concerns and render an impartial verdict.
Judge Peter Cahill said the Brooklyn Center shooting is a "totally different case." He said a sequestration order might cause further unease over safety concerns from the jurors: "Oh, I heard about the civil unrest and now the judge is ordering our sequestration." He said the jury will be sequestered once they begin their deliberations.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/daunte-wright-killed-police-brooklyn-center-minnesota-protests/

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Closing arguments start Monday. Then any additional motions and other legal wrangling, then judge's instructions to jury, then jury deliberations. Jury to be sequestered for deliberations.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...updates-defense-could-rest-its-case-thursday/

Thank you, Ghoti for updating the rest of us regarding this trial as well as the repercussions from tragic event in Brooklyn Center. With your background and experience in LE, I especially enjoy reading your insights.

Ghoti Ichthus

Spiritual leaders pray for peace in Minneapolis

"Faith leaders met Saturday in downtown Minneapolis to pray for justice, healing and police accountability ahead of closing statements in the Derek Chauvin trial.
Organizers say the event outside the Hennepin County Government Center was a way to bring people together.
Those there said prayers, gave speeches, sang and performed poetry."

https://kstp.com/minnesota-news/spiritual-leaders-pray-for-peace-in-minneapolis/6078616/?cat=12196

Ghoti Ichthus

Artists Paint Murals On Boarded-Up Lake Street Businesses To Help Community Heal​

"MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Several businesses along the Lake Street corridor are boarded up ahead the upcoming verdict in the Derek Chauvin trial.
The wooden boards are a reminder of the unrest in Minneapolis last summer, so local artists are painting the blank boards at Midtown Global Market into colorful murals.
One of the artists, Simone Alexa, says it’s a way to relieve some of the tension and help people process their emotions going into next week.
While these artists are painting the boards to heal others, they’re also helping themselves process the recent shooting death of Daunte Wright.
“It made me sick, like I couldn’t sleep, and it wasn’t until I started planning these murals and just planning on doing something that I felt like I could get some rest,” Alexa said. “And I think that energy really transfers from me into the piece, and other people can feel that too when they see it.”
The artists encourage people who see them along Lake Street to join in on the painting.
These mural projects are part of a collaboration between local artists and the nonprofit RealMPLS.
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...ake-street-businesses-to-help-community-heal/

:thankyou :thankyou :thankyou JESUS!!! :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou

Please pray extra because closing arguments start tomorrow, and there's the added issue with the Duante Wright shooting in Brooklyn Center and now the shooting in Burnsville, so police and National Guard might be stretched thin. Weather's supposed be nice, too. Lots and lots of people out.

Andy C

The judge was not happy with the comments mad Max (Maxine Waters) made. Waters comments can easily be read as jury tampering, or jury intimidation.

From the below link:

“After closing arguments were done, Judge Peter Cahill rejected a defense request for a mistrial based in part on comments California Rep. Maxine Waters that protesters could get more confrontational if there is no guilty verdict.

The judge told Chauvin’s attorney: “Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned.” He added: “I wish elected officials would stop talking about this case, especially in a manner that is disrespectful to the rule of law and to the judicial branch.”

https://apnews.com/article/derek-chauvin-trial-live-updates-e1d714c68ab5b067b101af7c6d486c6c

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
The judge was not happy with the comments mad Max (Maxine Waters) made. Waters comments can easily be read as jury tampering, or jury intimidation.

From the below link:

“After closing arguments were done, Judge Peter Cahill rejected a defense request for a mistrial based in part on comments California Rep. Maxine Waters that protesters could get more confrontational if there is no guilty verdict.

The judge told Chauvin’s attorney: “Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned.” He added: “I wish elected officials would stop talking about this case, especially in a manner that is disrespectful to the rule of law and to the judicial branch.”

https://apnews.com/article/derek-chauvin-trial-live-updates-e1d714c68ab5b067b101af7c6d486c6c
Looking for the devil emoji

NewWine2020

Looking for the devil emoji

That woman needs to be personally held legally & financially liable for any destruction that happens following her little "pep talk". Why anyone even allowed her to speak to the crowd, knowing her history and temperament is beyond me. She is a hateful, bitter race baiter and noting more.

She blatantly did exactly what the left won't shut up about saying Trump did. But hey, if a lib does stuff, it's (D)ifferent!

DanLMP

Expecting Waters to keep her mouth shut is an exercise in futility.

She feels protected behind the shield of her political position, her race, her sex and her political ideology.

Ghoti Ichthus

Derek Chauvin Trial Is In Jury’s Hands After Both Sides Make Closing Arguments​

"MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Twelve Minnesotans are now deciding what happens to the ex-police officer charged with the death of George Floyd.
The jurors heard closing arguments in the trial of Derek Chauvin Monday.
“When George Floyd gave his final words to the defendant, ‘Please, I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe,’ crying out for help to the man in uniform, the defendant stayed right on top of him, ignored it,” prosecutor Steve Schleicher said. “Continued doing what he was doing, facing the crowd, grinding his knee.”
“No crime is committed if a police officer’s actions were justified by the police officer’s use of reasonable force in the line of duty in effecting a lawful arrest or preventing an escape from custody,” defense attorney Eric Nelson said. “The kind and degree of force a police officer may lawfully use in executing his duties is limited by what a reasonable officer in the same situation would believe to be necessary.”
The two sides split most significantly on the cause of death. The prosecution argued that all the law requires is that the prosecution prove beyond a reasonable doubt is that Chauvin’s knee restraint was a “substantial cause” of Floyd’s death."

"Chauvin faces three charges:
  • Second-degree unintentional murder means causing death without intent by committing a felony.
  • Second-degree manslaughter is causing death by unreasonable risk.
  • Third-degree murder means causing death by an “eminently dangerous” act, showing a “depraved mind.”"
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...ands-after-both-sides-make-closing-arguments/

Derek Chauvin Trial: The 12 Jurors Deliberating His Future​

April 19, 2021 at 6:08 pm
"MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The jury deliberating in the trial of Derek Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer charged in George Floyd ‘s death, is a racially diverse group that pledged before testimony began that they could set aside any preconceptions and decide the case based on the evidence.
The panel includes six white jurors and six Black or multiracial people. Seven are women; five are men. They include a chemist, a nurse, an auditor and a grandmother."
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/04/19/derek-chauvin-trial-the-12-jurors-deliberating-his-future/

Derek Chauvin Trial: How Jury Deliberations Will Work​

"Jury deliberations are done in private and are largely a mystery to those who aren’t involved.
The jury of 12, including six white people and six people who are Black or multiracial, will be sequestered, and the duration of deliberations depends on the jury. One legal expert said waiting for a jury verdict can seem like “the longest hours of any day.”"

"HOW LONG WILL JURY DELIBERATIONS TAKE IN CHAUVIN’S TRIAL?"
As Judge Peter Cahill said, “It’s up to the jury.” Once deliberations begin, the jurors will be sequestered, so will likely deliberate into the evening and through the weekend if necessary. Last week Cahill told jurors that when packing for sequestration that they should “plan for long and hope for short.”

The article also answers the following questions:

"WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE SEQUESTERED?
WHAT HAPPENS IN THE JURY ROOM?
WHAT EVIDENCE DO THE CHAUVIN JURORS HAVE?
WHAT IF CHAUVIN JURORS HAVE QUESTIONS?
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THERE IS A VERDICT?
WHAT’S IT LIKE TO WAIT?"

"A HUGE RESPONSIBILITY
The jurors selected for the case said they could weigh the evidence fairly and impartially. And the judge reminded them of that as they embarked on deliberations.
Cahill told jurors they must not let bias, prejudice, passion, sympathy or public opinion influence their decision, and they must not consider any consequences or penalties. He said the verdict must be unanimous and based only on the evidence presented in court and the law as he provides.
“You must be absolutely fair,” Cahill told the jurors, adding, “This case is in your hands as judges of the facts. I am certain that you realize that this case is important and serious, and therefore, deserves your careful consideration.”"

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/04/19/derek-chauvin-trial-how-jury-deliberations-will-work/

Please pray for wisdom and integrity of the jury, and peace outside.

Ghoti Ichthus

Walz requests help from other states ahead of Chauvin trial verdict​

Updated: April 19, 2021 06:40 PM
Created: April 19, 2021 03:57 PM
Monday, Gov. Tim Walz asked for help from Ohioand Nebraska ahead of the verdict in the Derek Chauvin trial.
Walz's request under the federal Emergency Management Assistance Compact (EMAC) is part of the state's response to requests for public safety help from local governments.
"As the world awaits a verdict in the trial of Derek Chauvin, we need support in our efforts to preserve the First Amendment right of peaceful protests while protecting public safety," Walz said. "I am grateful to our colleagues in Ohio and Nebraska for their willingness to provide assistance and relief to our State troopers and law enforcement officers as they continue to work to keep the peace in our communities.""

https://kstp.com/minnesota-news/wal...tates-ahead-of-chauvin-trial-verdict/6080092/

Minnesota preps National Guard ahead of trials for cops in George Floyd death​

February 9, 2021
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz is prepping for the possibility of widespread civil unrest amid the upcoming trials of four former Minneapolis cops charged in George Floyd’s police-custody death.
Walz issued an executive order Friday authorizing the Minnesota National Guard to deploy troops in Minneapolis, St. Paul and other communities to “keep the peace, ensure public safety and allow for peaceful demonstrations” during the trials of the since-fired officers.
https://nypost.com/2021/02/09/minnesota-preps-national-guard-ahead-of-george-floyd-trials/

Minnesota National Guard News (official website)

https://minnesotanationalguard.ng.mil/news/

April 17, 2021 (ARDEN HILLS, Minnesota) – The Minnesota National Guard Joint Force Headquarters has transferred control of the Minnesota National Guard’s security efforts for Operation Safety Net to the 34th Red Bull Infantry Division. Operation Safety Net is the public safety response to protect lives and property and ensure the ability for people to peacefully protest during the trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin.
“Our Guardsmen have been doing great things in a challenging situation,” said Maj. Gen. Mike Wickman, Commanding General of the 34th Red Bull Infantry Division. “I’m proud of their efforts and appreciate their hard work and professionalism.”
The Minnesota National Guard is part of the unified command of Operation Safety Net, which includes law enforcement agencies at the state and local level. Planning for the operation began months ago in order to ensure the safety and integrity of the judicial process. The first Minnesota Guardsmen began providing security at the Hennepin County Government Center on March 7.
https://minnesotanationalguard.ng.m...-national-guard-operation-safety-net-efforts/

Please pray for our first responders, National Guard troops, and their families
Please pray for peace

Ghoti Ichthus

Now that the jury is deliberating guilt or innocence on the three charges, the matter of possible sentences for the various charges, if Chauvin is found guilty.

What Happens If Derek Chauvin Is Convicted, Or If He’s Acquitted?​

Should Chauvin be found not guilty on all charges, he will walk out of the courtroom a free man. If he is convicted on any of the three counts, he will be immediately taken into custody.
“Right from the courtroom, he will go to jail and he will be held in jail until sentencing. If there is a prison sentence, which of course there would be, he would go to prison,” attorney Joe Tamburino said.
Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter in the death of Floyd. Under sentencing guidelines, he could get 12 and a half years on either second-degree unintentional murder or third-degree murder. Second-degree manslaughter would be four years.
If there is a conviction the jury will have a second job to do. The jury will have to go back and deliberate on whether any aggravating factors existed.
The first possible aggravating factor is whether the victim was “treated with particular cruelty.” The second is if a child was present. Witnesses at the scene and who testified included two teens who were 17 at the time, as well as a 9-year-old.
“If they find aggravating factors the judge could go all the way up to the statutory maximum, which for count one is up to 40 years, count two up to 25 years, and count three up to 10 years,” Tamburino said.
If Chauvin is in fact acquitted he still could face federal criminal civil rights charges. A grand jury has been meeting to consider those charges, and if he were to be charged and convicted in federal court, that sentence could be up to life in prison.
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...rek-chauvin-is-convicted-or-if-hes-acquitted/

alisani

I don't know how to link the news article on my phone but I just saw something that says Biden has spoken out about the need to find him guilty and "praying" for that proper outcome.

How is that supposed to ensure any possibility of a fair trial? And how does this potentially alter how future trials are conducted. I realize the jury is sequestered but still...

Back