Censorship? Tech Problems? DOS Attack?

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Is RF having tech problems today, or denial of service attack, or is Comcast/Xfinity censoring RF? Other websites are functioning just fine for me, but for whatever reason, RF has been really, really slow, especially navigating witin the site. Logging in has only been a little slower than usual.

Where I am, Comcsast has been censoring some Christian sites for at least several months, and they're not happy if I use Tor (sometime Tor site/access gets blocked) to get to them (often internet connection gets dropped and then I have to start all over again when using Tor on certain sites).

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
My connection to RF is the same as always... slow but no problems. I'm one of those rural folks who might benefit from Starlink if they offer it up here...

Ghoti Ichthus

Still having problems. Had to use Tor to get here and had a hard time getting to Tor in the first place. ISP is letting me go other places using a "regular" browser/search engine, but not here or pretrib research site. Cuts me off from other Christian websites after less than 2-5 minutes. Xfinity/Comcast in Minnesota :mad

Ghoti Ichthus

Problem seems to be getting worse. Now I run into WordFence whenever I use Tor to go to some Christian sites. It doesn't happen on secular sites and a few Christian sites. It doesn't happen if I use FireFox. I can either get to where I want or not on FireFox, and getting to Christian sites is getting harder most of the time. Had to use Tor most of today, and it's been bad. Right now on FF, so we'll see how long this lasts. :frust

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, I wasn't aware of any issues with visiting Rapture Forums. :scratch

I did notice the other day that Twitter has reply deboosted RF if you check the site with Shadowban.eu

Someone else was complaining about being shadowbanned at Twitter. It might have been Jerome Corsi. So, I ran a check and they for the first time show a reply deboosting penalty or whatever.

I have a VPN but don't use it much. But when you do use a VPN or other privacy thingy they can be slower than a regular borwser visit due to the extra travels through whatever country you go through.

Rapture Forums is on a dedicated server with plenty of resources, so it should not be a problem with the site. I did upgrade to php7.4 the other night, but that shouldn't have any effect on anything. I do have Wordfence installed on RF. Are you getting some sort of error message and if so what does it say?

The site seems to load up pretty good for me. Here are a couple of speed tests I just did:

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.raptureforums.com/szZxEAAo

https://tools.pingdom.com/#5d180bfcf5c00000

I have never used Tor but I use Firefox all the time. I don't use Chrome or any other Google services except their search and it is terrible as it is.

Jonathan

I use a VPN
So do I, and a pretty good one (NordVPN), but a lot of sites, especially with proprietary content (Netflix) are constantly battling VPN users, rightfully so, to safeguard their income. Other sites, I have found, load really slowly at first when my VPN is enabled.

With that said, I can't say good enough things about NordVPN... on MOST sites and tasks it runs just as quick as not having a VPN enabled at all.

(I would never recommend Norton's VPN service... tried it... cut my internet speed by half at least).

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
So do I, and a pretty good one (NordVPN), but a lot of sites, especially with proprietary content (Netflix) are constantly battling VPN users, rightfully so, to safeguard their income. Other sites, I have found, load really slowly at first when my VPN is enabled.

With that said, I can't say good enough things about NordVPN... on MOST sites and tasks it runs just as quick as not having a VPN enabled at all.

(I would never recommend Norton's VPN service... tried it... cut my internet speed by half at least).

I'm using TunnelBear as they are based in Canada. I think I saw that Mozilla started a VPN and so did Malwarbytes. I think Mozilla's is justriding off a VPN service in Sweden, but it is getting to the point where it is good to use one if you are voicing your opinions on political things these days.

TunnelBear is audited by an outside security or privacy service. Something like that. They are the only one I've used though. Their user interface is kind of cool with the Bears. :lol

I also use their RemeberBear to save my usernames and passwords at all my favorite websites.

Ghoti Ichthus

It's the big purple screen with lots of white letters (gobbledy-gook). WordFence pops up prohibited access or prohibited website or something similar to go with it. They also want the screen sent to the Tor people. At that point i just give up and try again because I didn't know what wordFence was or who was usuing it (Tor or websites or TorLink/bridge, or a malicious third/fourth/fifth party).

Today, around dinnertime, I spent over an hour trying to get back intoa nd stay on RF. Log in, click on anything and internet died. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat etc. etc. etc. This happened with less severity on other Christian websites and didn't happen with secular sites. No internet outages here/nearby today. Same thing happened for about an hour earlier in the day, too.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh! [screaming charlie brown emoji/emoticon]

Ghoti Ichthus

Rapture Forums is listed as "hate speech"? I'm not surprised given how much I post about the culture wars. Oh well...

Or maybe because the many links I've posted to stories on religionofpeace, jihadwatch, creepingsharia, etc. [sigh]
Maybe the recent links to americanfamilyassociation and NYT :rolleyes

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
It's the big purple screen with lots of white letters (gobbledy-gook). WordFence pops up prohibited access or prohibited website or something similar to go with it. They also want the screen sent to the Tor people. At that point i just give up and try again because I didn't know what wordFence was or who was usuing it (Tor or websites or TorLink/bridge, or a malicious third/fourth/fifth party).

Today, around dinnertime, I spent over an hour trying to get back intoa nd stay on RF. Log in, click on anything and internet died. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat etc. etc. etc. This happened with less severity on other Christian websites and didn't happen with secular sites. No internet outages here/nearby today. Same thing happened for about an hour earlier in the day, too.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh! [screaming charlie brown emoji/emoticon]

Hmm, I don't understand what the purple screen with white lettering is. This is the Wordfence website which is for security of Wordpress sites:

https://www.wordfence.com/

Do you have a screen shot of the purple screen?

GEOINTAnalyst

I use Private Internet Access myself, but I use Expirion Linux, not Windows

Ghoti Ichthus

Hmm, I don't understand what the purple screen with white lettering is. This is the Wordfence website which is for security of Wordpress sites:

https://www.wordfence.com/

Do you have a screen shot of the purple screen?

The next time I get it, I'll try to get one. I'm on regular right now and no apparent issues :bouncies

I wonder if maybe there's a bandwidth issue. Located very close to multiple schools, and maybe all that online learning/set-up/testing/zooming/etc. is clogging up/overwhelming the available bandwidth. If so, ISP/Cable needs to fix or refund everyone that can't get service whenever it is wanted/needed. No different than any other public utility (case law exists for this :smile