"Celebrate Recovery"

Psalm37v4

Hi there,

I've recently discovered that one of my brothers - the same one who has made accusing and rude comments to me and my mom in the past - has been going to "Celebrate Recovery" at his church. (He attends a purpose driven church.) Now he's trying to get me to join a local chapter. Needless to say, anything affiliated with a purpose driven church can't be good IMO, so I won't do so. I have therapy groups and forums I belong to which help me much more.

Can anyone share with me some of the dangers with this program? I'm praying as to what to say to my brother. He's pretty biblically ignorant, doesn't study the Word for himself, etc.
thanx :)

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Hi there,

I've recently discovered that one of my brothers - the same one who has made accusing and rude comments to me and my mom in the past - has been going to "Celebrate Recovery" at his church. (He attends a purpose driven church.) Now he's trying to get me to join a local chapter. Needless to say, anything affiliated with a purpose driven church can't be good IMO, so I won't do so. I have therapy groups and forums I belong to which help me much more.

Can anyone share with me some of the dangers with this program? I'm praying as to what to say to my brother. He's pretty biblically ignorant, doesn't study the Word for himself, etc.
thanx :)
Good morning! Now I am not very familiar with the "purpose driven church" other than it is affiliated with Rick Warren who one should be weary of.

With that being said, I personally have actually gone through the CR program at a Calvary Church. It was a very good program.

What I loved about it was it had seriously broken and weak people seeking help with their "hurts, hangups, and habits," through Christ. CR is (should be) a Christ centered program. I saw some powerful stuff happen there. Of coarse you need to be discerning as with anything. Just because the CR at the location I attended had good leadership and was worthwhile, does not mean your location will be the same experience.

I actually learned how to forgive in CR which was something I long struggled with in my life.

Last edited: