Catholicism and Hebrew Roots

maranatha14

I wasn't sure where to post this. It really isn't apostasy, but more of a comment on Catholicism. So I put it here.

I attend a wonderful Bible believing and teaching congregation. Some years back, we had 2 groups of teachers who started teaching in the "Hebrew Roots" manner. I found much of it interesting; it helped me understand the world Jesus and the disciples lived in. But some of our congregation (who are not Jewish) began celebrating the feasts, and studying only the Torah, building booths and blowing the shofar. Many of us started praying about this, and I found it interesting how quickly the Lord took the teachers of this movement out of our congregation. BOTH of them suddenly had to move to different states because of their jobs. Praise God!!

Unfortunately, many of the people who embraced Hebrew Roots decided to leave our congregation and study only the Torah. We have said to them the main problem with this is.... they are not giving glory to Jesus. And even the Jews can't keep the whole Law; that is why Christ came. Paul taught against this in Galatians, calling Gentiles who were trying to be Jewish "Judaizers". Paul was saying, if you are Jewish and came to Christ as a Jew, then the Jewish culture and practices are fine. But if you were a Gentile and came to Christ, the Law will not serve you; ONLY what Jesus has done! You certainly don't have to embrace the Law and culture when you never did in the first place. Only in CHRIST is our salvation.

We pray for our friends. They are good people, but I am afraid they have forgotten "their first love".

THEN.... I read an article, comparing Catholicism to Hebrew Roots and found it interesting. Basically it states:

"The teachings of the Hebrew Roots Movement are virtually identical to those of the Judaizers whom Paul rebuked in Galatians. A primary focus of the Hebrew Roots Movement is to put followers of Christ back under the bondage of the Old Testament Law. The Roman Catholic Church teaches a doctrine similar to that of the Judaizers of the New Testament in this way: its doctrine is a mixture of law and grace. At the Council of Trent in the 16th century, the Catholic Church explicitly denied the idea of salvation by faith alone. Catholics have always held that certain sacraments are necessary for salvation. The issues for the 1st-century Judaizers were circumcision and Sabbath-keeping. The issues for modern-day Catholics are baptism, confession, etc. The works considered necessary may have changed, but both Judaizers and Catholics attempt to merit God’s grace through the performance of ritualistic acts."

Interesting, huh? I had never thought of it this way, but..... I get the point. Comments?

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Yes. I agree. :nod

I believe this is a great comparison. In fact, I've often thought that where the Pharisees left off, the governing body of the RCC took on..... they even have priests. The RCC also places impediments to Christ via confessions to "fathers" (rather than to God directly), teach one to pray to Mary or "saints" who will supposedly appeal to Christ for us and then the Father. There's all sorts of ritualistic practices that one is told to keep, but is empty of any value for salvation.

But God did away with all of that with Christ's sacrifice, because Christ's work fulfilled all aspects of the law for us. The temple curtain was ripped, indicating that from then on, through faith in Christ, humans now have direct access to God the Father. No more go betweens, priests, sacrifices or ritualistic laws to keep. In fact, in the Old Testament it was faith that saved, as Paul points out with Abraham who had faith and was counted righteous before the law came into effect for the nation of Israel. And, these practices of the Old Testament pointed to one thing......the aspects of the Messiah to come, His Work and the effects of His Work on the cross. So, to keep these Old Testament laws now is quite redundant and unnecessary and a heavy burden.

I love this chapter in Galatians, particularly these passages:

Oh, foolish Galatians! Who has cast an evil spell on you?....... Galatians 3:1

Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the Holy Spirit by obeying the law of Moses? Of course not! You received the Spirit because you believed the message you heard about Christ. Galatians 3:2

I ask you again, does God give you the Holy Spirit and work miracles among you because you obey the law? Of course not! It is because you believe the message you heard about Christ.

In the same way, “Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith. The real children of Abraham, then, are those who put their faith in God.
Galatians 3:5-7

Last edited: