Can a man ressurrect their dead self?

Ruth

The following (in quotes below which I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH) is a classic concern among Christians that one could 'lose' their salvation. Please read the response below the quotes that is my response on that message board and wanted to share with all of you here because I received many responses to it that it helped them so much and hope it will also help someone here. This is not of my doing - but a response from our Lord to give us all the comfort that we are promised in our faith.

from another message board said:
None of that explains the many references in the New Testament to 'falling away,' including Hebrews 6:4-6 (the most frightening). In Matthew 11:6 Jesus says "Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me" (New International Version). Luke 11:24-26 is also worth a look, as is 2 Peter 2:20-21:

"If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them." (NIV)

This is MY response in another message board to the quote above
Then how is someone going to ressurrect the dead man that was crucified with Christ on the cross when they died to self and were born again?
What carcus are they going to return to if they are "unborn again?"

The greatest response that convinced me once and for all that our salvation is secure is in this following response to prayer:

Jesus said we must die to self and be born again a new creation. When we die to self and are born with a new heart through the work of the Holy Spirit we begin our new life and continuously grow more to be like Him as we read His word and listen to the counsel of the Holy Spirit through continuous prayer.

When this rebirth is true and of the Holy Spirit it cannot be undone. Only Jesus can ressurect the dead and we cannot ressurrect the self that was put to death when we were born again. If we could lose our salvation - where would we return? To a dead body?

1 Peter 1:23
having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever

Romans 6:6
knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Last edited:

Adopted Son

Ruth,

Are you interpreting the term, 'falling away' to be a loss of salvation? I never did. I always took that to be "back sliding" or ignoring the new self in lieu of the old habits. This falling away would be both unfortunate and devastating as we would "throw away' our crowns of the next life as well as deny other seekers the wisdom God has given all who are saved. Did I get it wrong?

Ruth

Ruth,

Are you interpreting the term, 'falling away' to be a loss of salvation? I never did. I always took that to be "back sliding" or ignoring the new self in lieu of the old habits. This falling away would be both unfortunate and devastating as we would "throw away' our crowns of the next life as well as deny other seekers the wisdom God has given all who are saved. Did I get it wrong?

No - I am trying to respond to those who DO interpret falling away as 'losing their salvation.'

I am sorry if I completely failed to make that clear.

My response is below the quote. I guess I need to go back and make that more clear as to what I am saying.

Adopted Son

Not necessary. My reading is often at fault. Or my sensitivities color my understanding sometimes as well.

Back