Calvinism/Predestinationism

Elijah's Mantle

God wishes that none should perish, but all to come to salvation through Jesus Christ. As a result, Calvinism is not a sound teaching. It teaches God saves some and lets other perish. that conflicts with him wanting none to perish. God did not make people to be nothing but kindling for the fires of Hell. God wants all of us to come to salvation, the problem is that some will not accept the free gift of salvation. As a result, they choose eternal damnation.

Calvinism is not allowed here as I mentioned, it is not sound and is in contradiction to the Bible. It is a very controversial topic because those who believe in Calvinism ALWAYS believe they are going to Heaven and others are the ones going to Hell.

I just try to stay away from the topic altogether. It's poison.

:(( I believe that you nailed it :((

edit out

Last edited:

Elijah's Mantle

:thinking:
The Great Commission to go into all the world and teach the Gospel
loses its purpose in Calvinistic teaching. :((
Why teach salvation to all the world if God is going to save the elect anyway?
The Calvinist again will counter by saying that God commands us
to preach the Gospel and that is God's method to reach the elect.
Again this is an example of the poor reasoning behind Calvinism.:((
If the Bible teaches we are to tell all men everywhere they can be saved
by trusting in Christ Jesus, but in fact has limited the offer to only a select few, then we become liars.:shocked
It is a lie to stand before an audience and preach
that God will save them if they will believe
and put their trust in Jesus Christ, if God has elected that
some of them cannot respond!

God is not the author of lies; Satan is. (John 8:44)
What a gross insult to the truth and to Almighty God to make God a liar, by this false teaching.:shocked

Acts 17:30-31, explains
"And the times of this ignorance God winked at
but now commandeth all men every where to repent
Because he hath appointed a day, in which he will judge the world
in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained
whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead."

God in this verse commands "all" men "everywhere" to repent.
The use of the words "all"
and "everywhere" makes it doubly clear that this command is not limited to a select few
but to everyone, everywhere, none are excluded.
This passage teaches that man is responsible
and will be judged for his sins.
The basis of this judgment is
the fact that Christ came into the world
and brought salvation.
You take away man's responsibility to receive Christ as Savior
if you remove a man's chance to be saved.
If you remove God's offer of grace you leave God without a basis for judgment.
God cannot unjustly condemn a man for not receiving something he was unable to receive.

Revelation 20:12 states that at the final judgment of the lost, the unsaved will be judged according to their works, not because God decreed their damnation.:crying How could a just God judge men according to their works when, because of His sovereign choice, He decreed them only able to do sinful works and denied salvation to them? :crying

Benefactor

I personally agree with Norman Geisler's understanding on this. Actually anything that is not TULIP I may find appealing. If you really want to be turned off to TULIPism then watch this You-Tube video.

http://www.***********/watch?v=QzP1gC4_Q7Q&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Patiently...

The thing that bothers me about predestination is, if it were true why or how could we pray for our lost loved ones to come to saving grace? It wouldn't matter because their destination is already decided. Heartbreaking if you think about it.
I'm thankful to be able to pray for those I love to be saved.

Jan51

I just came across several articles that do a good job of explaining what election is and isn't. Hope these sources are OK. I can't vouch for everything on these sites, but these articles seem good.

Why God Did Not Elect Calvinists: The Biblical Concept of Election Never Means Predestined to Salvation and Commonly is a Reference to Israel
http://www.douglashamp.com/why-god-...vation-and-commonly-is-a-reference-to-israel/

A New Direction on Election
https://redeeminggod.com/election/

Does Acts 13:48 teach Unconditional Election?
https://redeeminggod.com/acts-13_48-unconditional-election/

Ephesians 1:5-6 – Predestined Unto Adoption as Sons
https://redeeminggod.com/sermons/ephesians/ephesians_1_5-6/

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope
Pff, difficult to give my opinion on this topic.
I am a Reformed Calvinist, and believe in the pre-destination.

But it is difficult to translate my view in English.

I’ll give it a try.

We live on earth and everybody has to choose wether to accept Jesus Christ as his Saviour in order to be saved and go to heaven.

When you accept this offer of Christ, you have nothing to boast about, as if it were an accomplishment of yourself. On the contrary, you feel nothing but awe and gratefulness, that the Mighty God loves you so much that He extended his arms to you! (Eph 2:8,9)

But from the beginning, God, Who is All-knowing, already knew who would accept His offer of Redemption, so from His point of view it is predestined. (Eph 1:4,5)

So we mustn’t put the 2 viewpoints against each other, but they complement each other.

In short, if we reject Gods offer of redemption, we have no one to blame but ourselves, when we accept the offer we do not thank ourselves, but give glory to God and His Anointed, our Redeemer Jezus Christ.

For more in dept info: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Articles_of_Remonstrance

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
This is my favorite scripture on this subject;
Ephesians 1:3-11 Praise be to the God and Father of our LORD Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will- 6to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. 7In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace 8that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, 9he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, 10to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment-to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ. 11In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

annieforjesus

I want to say that I didn't know much about Calvinism..I had a father in law who was some kind of Baptist that believed in predestination..but reading some things about it on here made me want to investigate it, and wow, was I shocked at how evil that I believe it is...It clearly opposes the truth of God's Word, and that makes me angry.

Back