California to Tax Private Well Water

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I had to look up what an acre-foot of water is

About 326,000 GALLONS of water! That's a LOT of water, especially if one is frugal/careful with what one uses, and even moreso if one reclaims and reuses graywater. If California reclaimed it's used water instead of discharging it into the ocean and damaging the environment by reducing salinity, and outlawed non-native lawns and maybe pools or maybe non-natural pools or pools over a certain size, since it's a desert, there would be plenty of water for residential, industrial, and agricultural use :tappingfoot

What’s an Acre-foot?

"In the water world, water is commonly measured in acre-feet. But what is an acre-foot? One acre-foot equals about 326,000 gallons, or enough water to cover an acre of land, about the size of a football field, one foot deep. An average California household uses between one-half and one acre-foot of water per year for indoor and outdoor use."

More
https://www.watereducation.org/general-information/whats-acre-foot

StormsMom

We escaped CA over 20 years ago. We could see what was happening and we didn't want to raise our children there. We felt like black sheep there because of our conservative values. Unfortunately, the people leaving CA recently haven't a clue that their values and voting patterns are exactly what made CA the place it is today and are corrupting the areas they resettled. Look at Austin, TX and Boulder/Denver, CO as examples. I just ran across a piece the Babylon Bee did that I think you all will enjoy, although it made me laugh and feel sad at the same time. https://babylonbee.com/video/i-wish-we-all-could-leave-california-beach-boys-parody

Amethyst

Angie ... †
Unfortunately, the people leaving CA recently haven't a clue that their values and voting patterns are exactly what made CA the place it is today
How could they not know? The things happening are exactly what they supported. :scratch
They just didn't want it coming into their gated communites.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
How could they not know? The things happening are exactly what they supported. :scratch
They just didn't want it coming into their gated communites.
The term is NIMBY (not in my back yard)
Same phenomenon as neighborhood opposition to establishment of community treatment facilities, halfway houses, etc.

katt

Maybe they should plug up their Wells..get a giant barrel and collect rain water..then tell TPTB..I have no well..I have cistern water .when they try to tax that..knock over the barrel and ask...what water?..

pixelpusher

illegal to collect rainwater in California
Who would have thunk it?

https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/collecting-rain-water-in-these-states-could-be-illegal/

From the article:
"Putting a bucket outside to catch water while it rains may not seem like a huge deal. But in more than a dozen states, it actually is. State legislatures established rules on catching rainwater, and what you can or can’t use the water for. So if you’ve built a rain barrel for your home, be sure to review local laws to make sure you’re in compliance.

Why Is Water Collection a Big Deal?

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, catching rainwater or “rainwater harvesting” can affect quality standards, public safety and water rights.

That’s right, water rights are actually a thing.

Water rights are a type of interest that can be tacked on to real estate ownership when a property is close to a body of water. This means the landowner has the right to use that body of water and any precipitation surrounding it. Some states mandate that all precipitation belongs to existing water-rights owners, and rain flow needs to join its rightful water drainage."