California sued over law blocking Trump from ballot unless he releases tax returns

Popcornfish

Fox News today, article and video.
Four voters in California, along with the conservative transparency group Judicial Watch, announced Monday they have filed a federal lawsuit against the left-wing state, alleging its new law aimed at strong-arming President Trump into releasing his income tax returns is patently unconstitutional.
Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom signed the law known as the "Presidential Tax Transparency and Accountability Act" last week. It would require Trump and other presidential primary candidates to file their tax returns for the most recent five years to the California secretary of state by November 26 or be excluded from the March 3, 2020 presidential primary ballot. (Continues @ Link)

I think there should be charges brought for violation of federal law and the Constitutions Supremacy Clause.
California is not just a blue state, a left wing Democrat state, it's fast following the left hand path of darkness and evil in all things policy and politics, imo.
From what I've heard people are leaving in droves. Can't say I blame them.

DanLMP

I realize Trump doesn't stand a snowball's chance in HE double hockey sticks of getting the California vote, but this would start a very bad, very dangerous trend.

Also, Newsom seems to lean even more Left than Gov. Moonbeam, if that is possible. He comes up with ideas that make you wonder what flavor cotton candy is packed inside his skull.

Popcornfish

I realize Trump doesn't stand a snowball's chance in HE double hockey sticks of getting the California vote, but this would start a very bad, very dangerous trend.

Also, Newsom seems to lean even more Left than Gov. Moonbeam, if that is possible. He comes up with ideas that make you wonder what flavor cotton candy is packed inside his skull.
What a terrible end for delicious cotton candy. :( ;)

The people of California spoke out against this bill before it was signed into law. The bill, as the Governor would know, is illegal. It is a violation of not just the California constitution but the Federal constitution's supremacy clause. The requirements to run for president are set in the USC. The USC is the supreme law of the land. Federal law supersedes state laws.
See the people of CA speak out here

Anyone else remember when California would make news claiming they were going to secede from the U.S yet again. And again, and again?
Rather than make that an official document of secession, which even Scalia , God have mercy, said was not possible, I think California is making Leftist policies of late that demonstrate in their mind, per their state legislature, they have already removed themselves from the laws of the U.S.
Let's make it official since they decree they are a "sanctuary state", which violates Federal immigration laws.

Pull out all Federal employees and stop all Federal monies pouring in. California made an invitation in the media months ago saying all the illegals can come there?
Why not load up buses full of illegals? Clean out the detention centers, put all capture illegals on a daily basis on a bus, and transport them across the border into the heart of California. Their Capitol.Open those doors and set them free.
No Federal money, no Federal employees.
You invited them?
OK, now deal with it.

Popcornfish

Is there a law against passing illegal laws?
Yes, there is. When a law violates the terms of one's own state Constitution and/or the Federal Constitution it is illegal.

How about stopping Federal funds?
Yes, it can be done. States receive grants and loans from the Federal government.

Also jail time for the governor/legislator who introduces it. Remember states rights got us in trouble the last time ( the Civil war).
I don't know if Ex Post Facto laws (Videos can't even be linked here so if you go to YouTube, search for this video title for the full explanation of what Ex Post Facto Law is:
What is EX POST FACTO LAW? What does EX POST FACTO LAW mean? EX POST FACTO LAW meaning
would apply so as to then warrant an arrest of the offending Legislators, those who voted yes for this bill passage. Or the Governor of California for signing an illegal law into law.
Maybe the bill of Attainder would accomplish that?

Or, perhaps the Hatch Act could be invoked.
If none of the above, lets just boil it down to the good old fashioned charge of Sedition.

TeeTee

Thank you for yor reply and explanation. Will check it out. Pray for President Trump. Pray for him to have Godly strategy for the onslaught of evil against him and to combant Satan's plan. I do not know if Trump is a christian, but prayer is needed to call out Satans agenda as evil and put shame on him, as well as the foolish of his plan. That people eyes will be open to seek Christ. Like the previous post: Buck up Christians-we are in it to fight until he says come home. Yeshua Hamashiach.

Momma D

As a Californian, I 100% agree with you about the new governor. He practically destroyed SF, and LA is becoming SF #2. One of my sons said the streets of LA are filled with homeless, pitching tents and depositing trash, to the point that the entrances to some stores are being blocked.
I'm not sure if Villarigosa is still the mayor, but you'd hope he would do something, since the only people who would leave the city are conservatives.

I was just kidding about the mayor doing anything...:oops:

Jonathan

Is there a law against passing illegal laws? How about stopping Federal funds? Also jail time for the governor/legislator who introduces it. Remember states rights got us in trouble the last time ( the Civil war).
Not that I know of, but that is the whole purpose of the Supreme court... to strike down laws that contradict the constitution. So, there is no law, with penalties, so to speak of, but the job of the Judicial branch is to knock them down.

bigmoose

Let the second order of this unconstitutional declaration by CA sink in... if Trump is not on the california ballot, then those minority, though substantial, votes for Trump would NOT be counted in the national popular vote tally. Thus those states that declared they will pledge their electoral college votes based on the US popular vote would default to the demonrat candidate. Interesting way to steal an election?

Popcornfish

Not that I know of, but that is the whole purpose of the Supreme court... to strike down laws that contradict the constitution. So, there is no law, with penalties, so to speak of, but the job of the Judicial branch is to knock them down.
There are links that show there are laws against illegal laws.
The Constitution is the supreme law of the land via the supremacy clause.
This California business was to pander to the worst common denominator of Trump haters, or those who suffer TDS. The governor of California should be eternally embarrassed his signature was attached to this bill so as to make it an illegal law. One that puts California government in the worst possible light.

Popcornfish

Let the second order of this unconstitutional declaration by CA sink in... if Trump is not on the california ballot, then those minority, though substantial, votes for Trump would NOT be counted in the national popular vote tally. Thus those states that declared they will pledge their electoral college votes based on the US popular vote would default to the demonrat candidate. Interesting way to steal an election?
Many states are moving to make the popular vote the vote that seats the president. The attempt to do away with the electoral college is glaring. All based on the idea that HRC won the popular vote in the 2016 election.

Think about that. A woman for whom there are reams of evidence of Espionage and collusion with James Comey , and his violation of the Records Act, and other federal crimes, and the Left would prefer her to take the highest office so as to carry out the deplorable legacy her boss that told her to do all those illegal acts started.
God help us.

Momma D

There are links that show there are laws against illegals is the laws.
This California business was to pander to the worst common denominator of Trump haters, or those who suffer TDS. The governor of California should be eternally embarrassed his signature was attached to this bill so as to make it an illegal law. One that puts California government in the worst possible light.
The governor of CA would not be embarrassed about anything, expect possibly stepping into a service at a bible-believing, bible teaching church.
He's the governor of the state I live in, but that is the only thing we likely will ever have in common :(

Jonathan

There are links that show there are laws against illegal laws.
You are exactly right, and thanks for clarifying this. For example, here in Virginia, we have preemptive laws (related to gun regulation, for example), that theoretically prevent local governments from enacting their own laws in violation of the higher law.

I'm not trying to save face, because you are exactly correct, but what I think I was trying to say is there is no penalty for passing a bad law. No one goes to jail or gets sued for passing an illegal law. It simply (hopefully) gets knocked down by a proper court.

DanLMP

Question............... if Trump's name were taken off the ballot...............could we not to "write ins".............. physically writing his name on the ballot?
Wouldn't those have to be counted???
Yes.

I think we need a reality check here. I think the CA law applies to the primaries and not the general election. I'm not saying the law becomes meaningless, I'm trying to figure out the effect.

Anyone have the straight skinny on that?