Busy tornado season sets record with nearly 250 twister reports in March alone

Lovin Jesus

NEW YORK -- Following a relatively quiet January and February in the severe weather department, March kicked the door wide open to start the nation's severe season.

The U.S. tallied 1,382 reports of severe weather (which includes tornadoes, damaging wind, and/or large hail) in March, which is above the long-term average of just over 1,200.

About a third of all days this month saw above-average severe weather activity, with five of those days ending with more than 100 storm reports. The most active day was the 30th, which saw 247 reports of severe weather, including an impressive 197 reports of damaging wind alone

Tornado and wind reports, which were previously lagging well behind average on the year, have now surged to above-average following this wild March. Hail remains the only metric to stay below the long-term average.

Tornado Counts:
A record-breaking 249 reports of tornadoes were made in March, besting the 225 counts in March 2012. This is more than 2.5 times the March average.

Sixteen different states had at least one tornado report.

We've seen 317 reports of tornadoes across 20 states in the year. Texas leads the pack with 68, followed by Mississippi with 59 and Alabama with 49. Those 317 reports are well above the long-term average to date of 207.

More
https://www.foxweather.com/weather-...ith-nearly-250-twister-reports-in-march-alone

Lynn

Longing for Home
Has anyone on here been affected by the recent tornadoes? Praying for healing and restoration!!
We have not had a tornado anywhere near us for a number of years. However, one day last week, I opened my phone to check for messages and found one from the local weather station saying to take shelter immediately, tornado warning. :shocked It came in after 1 am.
My dh said that he heard my phone going off and thought it was an Amber Alert. He went back to sleep and I never heard a thing.

Mama Bug

We had a tornado near us Wednesday night. We didn't get any damage but lost power for a few hours. There was damage about two miles from us, but no one was hurt.