Buffalo man hailed a hero for saving 24 people amid blizzard.

ChildofLight

Such a heart warming story. -

Buffalo man hailed a hero for saving 24 people amid blizzard. He broke into school to find shelter, brought other stranded people inside — and even left a note for the school.

A Buffalo man was hailed a hero after courageously saving 24 people and two dogs trapped in the deadly blizzard that struck Western New York last week.

Jay Withey, a 27-year-old mechanic from Kenmore, New York, told WBEN radio that on December 23, his truck got stuck in the blizzard, and he could not find shelter in town.

"I walked to the houses to see if I could find shelter, any house that had lights on. I had $500 that I was offering, to sleep on their floor," Withey said. But, after he asked at least 10 people, each one denied Withey's request to let him stay in their home.

According to Withey, he spent the night in his vehicle with two strangers who had also become stranded in the storm.

On Christmas Eve morning, with his truck running low on fuel, Withey walked to a nearby school.

"I knew the power would be on, there would be heat in there, and I was guaranteeing there would be food in there," Withey told WBEN.

He smashed a window to gain access to the school and returned to the road to gather every stranded motorist he could find.

"I walked till I cried," Withey stated. "It's the only time in my life I actually thought I was going to die."

The local hero led 24 people and two dogs into the school to escape the storm. The group of strangers took only what they needed from the school's supplies to outlast the blizzard.

"You found something that's helping you out," Withey said. "You want to give it as much respect as possible."

After much-needed rest, on Christmas Day, Withey grabbed the school's snowblower and helped to dig out the strangers' vehicles so they could be on their way.

"It was a Christmas miracle we could be together," he added.

Before leaving, Withey used cardboard and duct tape to cover the window he had broken. The hero also left a note for school officials.

"To whom it may concern," it read. "I'm terribly sorry about breaking the school window and for breaking in the kitchen. Got stuck at 8pm Friday and slept in my truck with two strangers just trying not to die. There were 7 elderly people also stuck and out of fuel. I had to do it to save everyone and get them shelter and food and a bathroom."

The note was signed, "Merry Christmas Jay."

On December 29, Cheektowaga Police Department posted photos from the school's surveillance footage, asking for help to identify "Jay" for "going above and beyond actions that saved lives."

"We watched the video surveillance and witnessed people taking care of people," Cheektowaga Police Department stated. "There was a freezer full of food but no one touched it. They only ate what was necessary to stay alive. They used the gym for the kids to play and pulled the smart boards out of the classrooms to watch the news for updates."

"When they were finally able to leave safely, you never would have known anyone was there. They plugged the smart boards back in, cleaned up all the tables and things that they used. This group of amazing people took care of each other and the building they found shelter in," the statement continued.

Withey noted that he was humbled by the experience and believed it all happened for a reason.

"If any one of those people had let me come in their house for the $500 and be able to stay in their house, I would have never been put in the situation I was put in to help those people. So, I do believe that everything does happen for a reason," said Withey.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/buffa...01-03&utm_term=ACTIVE LIST - 7 Day Engagement

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
I read that story the other day.
Glad he did what he did.
Who knows what the death count would of been if he hadn't.

However, pretty telling that many turned down his $500 dollars to stay at their house for the night.
That said, if they would of let him stay, I wonder how things would of turned out for those other folks.
We will never know.

I believe God's hand was involved .

ItIsFinished!

Forget the $500... in those blizzard conditions how can you refuse a man seeking shelter? What have we become? 10 families turned him away to die outside... This is not the America of my youth...
The $500 just highlights the gravity of the refusal.
As far as , " What have we become?"...
A desensitized, disconnected , sin soaked society , where it is all about me , myself, and I.

People do not revere God .
People don't have natural love for their fellow man (neighbor).
Not everyone , but the majority.

Jaybird

Forget the $500... in those blizzard conditions how can you refuse a man seeking shelter? What have we become? 10 families turned him away to die outside... This is not the America of my youth.
Matthew 2:12: "And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold.

No God, no love. Just love for themselves. This is what happens when you kick God out of the schools, our institutions and the country.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
I wonder if people were afraid given the recent uptick in crime in New York.....

I'm glad this man was used by God to help others, great example!
My thoughts on letting this man stay at their homes. There also have been reported where people that try to help others end up being the victim. They are either killed, robbed or both. This man was truly a Good Samaritan. :thumbup:thumbup

ItIsFinished!

Yet, Merry Christmas Jay offers a beacon of hope in your fellow man. I think there are many around this area who would have done similarly. That was maybe the best story that came down the pipes about the blizzard.
I heard up to another 2 feet fell days later after the initial 4 feet. I think some records were broken.
I agree with you , that was maybe the best story to come out of that blizzard.

I also believe the majority of the folks here would of let him or anyone in need stay at their house , with obvious precautions being taken.
I absolutely love having the opportunity to help others out and being able to help others out.
That doesn't mean I don't test the situation and take appropriate precautions, especially during these last days.
I had a few throughout the years that were hustlers/schemers and I dealt with them accordingly, but the majority just needed help.

Last edited:

MapleLeaf

Honestly, I would have been scared to let a stranger into my home with my kids. It would not have been an easy decision. And I think many people underestimate how deadly a storm can be. I know I can much of the time. You get used to seeing them and even making your way through so many that it's hard to know that this particular storm would be so much worse. So maybe these people thought he would be OK and was lying to get inside. I wish I could say that I would have let him in. I hope God would give me discernment in times like that.

But as others said, what would have happened to the other stranded people if he hadn't been turned away? I'm glad he didn't let others rejecting him prevent him from helping others.

bigmoose

A child of the King
... And I think many people underestimate how deadly a storm can be....
I was in Wisconsin for my first winter. My "nickname" bigMoose tells a story, I used to be a big man, 6'6"... That first winter in the middle of a blizzard, I broke the rear axle on my car. I was out on the highway, with one of those WWII snorkel parkas on. You couldn't see my face, only a huge hulking guy. I was picked up within two minutes of trying to get a ride to town. I asked the kind man that picked me up ... why? He said, "You'd be dead in these conditions if I didn't..." I will never forget that day.

RedRx

Though I can understand for safety reasons why people might have been hesitant to allow a stranger to stay in their homes in this case the conditions created a life or death situation. In reality those refusals led to this Good Samaritan to save several lives so as the old saying goes God works in mysterious ways. It’s nice to hear a story with a positive outcome.

Back